UK Vegan Society new approach - any thoughts?

Just a few years ago I might have been a little sceptical to this shift in emphasis, but the idea of more part-time vegans, people on "vegetable-based" diets and so on has grown on me. It will help veganism spread, become more mainstream and more socially acceptable, which means being a vegan will become easier. So I think this new approach is definitely the right way forward. It's also a brave step, since they risk alienating their core supporters, but hopefully they have done their research, and are careful to get the right balance, not compromise their core values etc.

Reactions: Trinity
It's also a brave step, since they risk alienating their core supporters, but hopefully they have done their research, and are careful to get the right balance, not compromise their core values etc.
Yes, it's a brave leap forward. If it helps people find eating less meat and diary easier and makes 'vegan' more acceptable then it's certainly a great move. I imagine keeping everyone happy is impossible, so it looks like they've gone for how can they reach more people. It has a very different energy to it.

of course, I worry about the sea....if people start eating more vegan, they might start eating more fish. If the sea becomes a toxic death pond, it might be surprising how bad that is for the world.

Reactions: ledboots
I haven't looked at The Vegan Society in ages but when looking at it now, it looks good to me. I remember it was quite dry and boring before but I read that so many people are contacting them since the scare about horse meat so they probably have improved it as they are getting new members.

Reactions: Trinity
of course, I worry about the sea....if people start eating more vegan, they might start eating more fish. If the sea becomes a toxic death pond, it might be surprising how bad that is for the world.
What goes around comes around. I think if it becomes even more of a toxic bath pond than it already is then we are all doomed.

The new change for vegan society really got me thinking about the best approach for animals and the future.

I found this fascinating study by Humane League labs:
http://humaneleaguelabs.wordpress.com/2013/07/19/report-which-leaflet-is-more-effective/

It shows two different leaflets and which one that was more effective in getting people to reduce meat and diary in their diet. I can see why the Vegan Society would take the new, more inclusive approach of helping people to make choices that are better for themselves.