TVP - textured vegetable protein

zki

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Any comments on this - it has 13g of protein per serving. They're flakes that when soaked look and taste like nutty ground meat.

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I don't go out of my way to avoid the stuff but I don't seek it out.

In the past, I have talked about the misuse of the words "processed foods" and "highly processed foods". I have suggested that it is not the number of processes that food undergoes but how much is added and subtracted. Some of the TVP products just have one ingredient: defatted soy flour.

TVP is sort of the exception in my book. The processes that TVP undergoes are more like the making of plastics than cooking a recipe.

Also, it is just so easy to avoid. I don't need TVP to make a great bowl of chili.

MoreGreens

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
TVP isn't my favorite way to eat soy, and I tend to avoid it. If I get a nostalgic craving, I'd rather buy TVP and make my own crumbles than buy what's being produced for the frozen and meat sections of the super markets. I make sure mine is processed without hexane and at least non-GMO, but that's down to preference. TVP does have it's merits, being both economical and shelf stable.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC