Trouble with milk

Molly103383

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I’m trying to turn vegan but I’m really struggling to like almond milk, I tried almond milk unsweetened is it better to have that or will I rather sweetened one? Don’t know whether I will like soya milk. Will I like it? Or has almond milk for a nicer taste in general?

Unsweetened Original (no vanilla) is my preference with Almond Milk - oat milk is also a good alternative.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and David3
I agree with Emma - oat milk seems to be one of the better alternatives to dairy milk. Oat milk's flavor is more similar to dairy milk, I think.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
You won't know till you try them! No one can speak for your tastes
I don't just drink any milk. I use unsweetened, plain soy milk for yogurt.
I also like unsweetened almond for making 'creme' things, sauces, soups, gravies
Now that I have a high speed blender I'll just throw in some nuts and water for whatever I want.
I've yet to try oat milk
Hemp milk is grassy tasting, but good for some things. It's easy to blend with water

Reactions: David3 and Lou
I drink soymilk. I don't' mind the taste and it has the most protein of any of the plant milks. I guess pea milk is pretty close in protein but I don't like the taste of it as much. Plus it's more expensive.

I usually buy sweetened vanilla. Its the one I can drink straight. but I also buy plain unsweetened. I will use either one in my smoothies, and my oatmeal but I have to have plain for cooking.

If you can afford the calories try the flavored plant milks. Now that it is cold I love hot chocolate soy milk. I usually just add my own chocolate but there are some off the shelf chocolates that are great. I'm not sure its sold in the UK but here in the US we have a company called Califia and they make a chocolate-flavored coconut almond blend. It is great.

My specific advice is to just buy different cartons until you find your favorite. If you don't like it straight you can always use it for smoothies.

What are you using it for? Do you want to drink it straight, or put on oatmeal, or in a smoothie, in your coffee/tea, or ?
I use it in coffee and I found that almond (unsweetened) gave it a very cardboard like taste

Reactions: David3 and Lou
I use it in coffee and I found that almond (unsweetened) gave it a very cardboard like taste
When I used to drink coffee, I got the Silk creamer. I never got used to plain (or sweetened) plant milks for my coffee, I had to get the plant-based creamers by Silk or So Delicious. I just noticed there's one by Califia Farms [ https://www.califiafarms.com/produc...959565&publisherId=21181&utm_source=pepperjam ] that is probably really good, if you can find it. The only thing I would avoid is "Coffee Mate." That stuff is horrible.

Reactions: Lou