Trolling debate - should you "feed the trolls"?

das_nut

Forum Legend
Reaction score
If anyone did troll that, it would be an individual who is willing to fake the plight of women and men in serious, potentially deadly situations in order to get attention. It would be something I'd expect from a naive or mentally unstable individual. I'd have far more negative feelings about the troll than the community that "fell" for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Clueless Git
Mod Post:

As per requested, I have moved some posts into the debate forum, since I think there is probably an interesting debate to be had on trolling behaviour and how forums tend to respond - and how effective/responsible that is. Hopefully it'll provide useful/helpful insight into dealing with trolls/trolling behaviour on this board.

This has been moved to a general debate. Do not make it personal. Any attempt to personally attack or accuse any members will be considered a personal attack which is against the rules.

If this thread descends into personal attacks of violations of the forums rules (please check here if unsure), I'll delete it.

Please continue this discussion on trolling behaviour and forum response.

Perhaps we are hesitant to respond to new or infrequent posters because of some members in the past who started debates here so that they could make fun of vv members on another, non- vegetarian board. And some posters here have years of history with those on that other forum. No one likes to be mocked or waste time out of their day answering ********. (I'm NOT calling the other thread in question bs. )

Reactions: thefadedone
I remember on VB years ago, someone posting about wanting to only eat fruit which had fallen from the tree, so as not to hurt any plants or some such stuff...the poster turned out to be making fun of the replies on a blog somewhere.....what can you do?....
Calling 'troll' all the time is pretty tiresome, and restricts discussion.

I think someone got told off by mods for calling troll on the fruitarian troll thread.

A reader of the troll blog joined up to VB to let people know what was happening.

I think that some people are just clueless to how some folks take pleasure in rusing other people with controversial opinions on touchy subjects online.

yes, but some people do really have something controversial to talk about....like that guy who wanted help dealing with his snail crushing problem, on VB, a while back.

Mod Post
Fair Warning - be careful what you say in this thread, as it is probably being monitored by and/or will be shared with GB.

Should that really be a cause of worry?

We're at the internet, anyone can see anything we post at any given time.

Should that really be a cause of worry?

We're at the internet, anyone can see anything we post at any given time.

Srsly. Grow some skin. If you're worried about the internet, then get off the internet.

While we're at it, a forum moderator with a subtitle "I'm watching you closely" under his avatar isn't really promoting genuine dialog, huh?

GB? Hi, whoever you are.

On that recent thread that came across as potentially trolly, as I said there, I would much rather risk feeding a troll. Imagine if a woman really was being abused and the people she asked for help turned around and said they didnt believe her and thought she was a troll. That'd make someone feel pretty crappy - and have a negative effect on anyone else reading the post in a similar situation (I cant post, what if they think im a troll too?). So in situations like that I'd rather act like they're not a troll and take a chance at being made fun of by strangers (oh noes!)

I think as long as you keep your cool and dont rise to it, the troll cant win. this isnt exactly the sort of forum where people go mad and start shouting at silly questions. the worst thatll happen is the troll realises that veg*ns are a well balanced bunch who have rational explanations for their diet :p and if the person isnt a troll theyre just genuinely a bit clueless, well then they get their answer too

Reactions: KLS52
The mods may be trolling by making it appear like I started the thread. ;)

Although I would have started this thread anyways, since it was split from a discussion where there was questioning the legitimacy of a new member who alleged a quite common, yet shocking, relationship issue.

Hence the first post.

Really, it doesn't serve to openly question the legitimacy of someone who may very well need help. If that means some malcontent will come by and fake a serious issue, like anorexia, domestic abuse, rape, or suicidal impulses, it doesn't mean that we've been trolled. It means the poster is in serious need of a reality check.

I'm going to err on the side of caution, and I hope everyone else does as well.

I don't understand what the problem is with Trolls.

If what they have to say is invalid then ignore it or expose the invalidity by reasoned argument.

I have a problem with Troll-Callers though ...

It's an absolutely pathetic way to stifle discussions that you would rather not happen.