Trapped Gas Bloating

Anthonyxj18

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've been vegan for so many Years 4 now. And the gas and bloating has hit its peak to the point I'm lost and miserable going to docters as we speak but I'm curious if anyone had a past issue with Digestion on a whole foods plant based diet lots of potatoes rice oats. And veggies of course nuts seeds Nut butters not much fat but over 15 percent of my calories is from fat. I'm losing weight and struggling bad.

• Sad
Reactions: kelli and Tominejo
I've been vegan for so many Years 4 now. And the gas and bloating has hit its peak to the point I'm lost and miserable going to docters as we speak but I'm curious if anyone had a past issue with Digestion on a whole foods plant based diet lots of potatoes rice oats. And veggies of course nuts seeds Nut butters not much fat but over 15 percent of my calories is from fat. I'm losing weight and struggling bad.

Hi Anthony,

Because this is a medical issue, I would encourage you to make an appointment with a Registered Dietitian (RD) who specializes in digestive disorders. Your physician should be able to refer you to a local RD.

hi Anthony

I agree with @David3 and also suggest Cronometer - use it for a week, putting in your foods and activity levels so that you can make sure you are getting enough calories, enough nutrients and vitamins.

Emma JC

Reactions: Tominejo
I've been where you are. I have three digestive disorders and had to FODMAP test to figure out why my diet was making me wish I was dead. There's nothing quite like trying your hardest to eat well only for your food to turn your body against you. I learned some of the most beloved vegan foods such as avocado, sweet potato, mushrooms, cauliflower... seitan and pea protein couldn't be a part of my diet.

FODMAP testing is restrictive. It's eight weeks of eating only low fodmap foods then slowly reintroducing potential trigger foods to learn what your body doesn't digest healthfully. I think it's worth it because I now have a life that doesn't revolve around digestive misery. Some people can remove just one group and cure themselves without full testing. I had multiple sensitivities, so I had to do the full testing.

Regardless, here's a list of High and Low Fodmap Foods that might help you recognize what's causing your discomfort, and it's a suggestion beyond 'eat more fiber', which seems to be every doctor's initial advice.

Hope you feel better soon!

FODMAP testing is restrictive. It's eight weeks of eating only low fodmap foods then slowly reintroducing potential trigger foods to learn what your body doesn't digest healthfully. I think it's worth it because I now have a life that doesn't revolve around digestive misery. Some people can remove just one group and cure themselves without full testing. I had multiple sensitivities, so I had to do the full testing.

Regardless, here's a list of High and Low Fodmap Foods that might help you recognize what's causing your discomfort, and it's a suggestion beyond 'eat more fiber', which seems to be every doctor's initial advice.

That is a very informative and interesting link:up:. I see that pulses/legumes, wheat and pasta is in the pink area.

Did you find out which types of foods gave you these symptoms ? I also find having those kind of symptoms so very unpleasant. ;)

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
I have Crohn’s and went through the Low FODMAP process with a dietitian. There is an app (that lists all the foods) that you can install in your phone which I use often when not sure. The issue is that the problem does not seem to be static, meaning that foods that used to cause me the symptoms you describe used to bother me and now not, and there are foods that were fine and now not. I have developed a core of foods, all vegan, that I know for a fact that are ok, and only try foods that I am not sure in very small doses. Another strategy that I use, for high fiber foods, I make them soft in a blender, or make a shake, and in the case of beans, I soak them overnight and then I cook them very long. Bottomline - the issue is complicated. Good luck!

That is a very informative and interesting link:up:. I see that pulses/legumes, wheat and pasta is in the pink area.

Did you find out which types of foods gave you these symptoms ? I also find having those kind of symptoms so very unpleasant. ;)
I did! Fructans are not my friend. How I sometimes miss onion and garlic! Hing/Asafoetida is a much beloved substitute. Whole wheat products are also out. (Amy's tortillas :sob:) It's unfortunate because I adore Ezekiel bread (and occasionally have a piece, even though I know I'll have to eat extra careful the rest of the day). If I indulge it has to be a like a holiday treat not a weekly reward kind of thing.

Legumes and pulses are a little trickier. Canned/tinned lentils and beans are easiest to digest simply because they're being cooked twice. Navy beans and kidney beans have the worst reputation among the fodmap crowd, and I find red lentils the gentlest. Although, it's different for each person and as @erwin said above tolerance to high fodmap foods can change. If I watch portion size and make sure to pair them with fodmap free foods, I can enjoy any legumes or pulses without consequence. (losing them was my greatest fear going into fodmap testing)

The most interesting thing about fodmap sensitivities is you have to be careful not to stack. I'm particularly sensitive to fructans (wheat/garlic/onion), sorbitol (cabbage/avocado/apple) and mannitol (cauliflower/mushroom/celery). If I added celery to soup, assuming I limited the celery to about 10 grams I'd be fine. But, if I added celery and mushrooms then I'd have stacked two mannitols and I'd get ill. If I dared to add a couple of seitan strips as well then I'd get very ill and likely stay ill for a couple of days.

Learning how to add in naughties without stacking is the hardest part of establishing a diverse diet, and the people who enjoy experimenting as well as keeping records are the ones who benefit the most from the testing. Also, I second the Monash food app to anyone who knows they need to adjust diet to control their digestive system. It's the only app that I've ever purchased, and it's paid for itself countless times.

I did! Fructans are not my friend. How I sometimes miss onion and garlic! Hing/Asafoetida is a much beloved substitute. Whole wheat products are also out. (Amy's tortillas :sob:) It's unfortunate because I adore Ezekiel bread (and occasionally have a piece, even though I know I'll have to eat extra careful the rest of the day). If I indulge it has to be a like a holiday treat not a weekly reward kind of thing.

Legumes and pulses are a little trickier. Canned/tinned lentils and beans are easiest to digest simply because they're being cooked twice. Navy beans and kidney beans have the worst reputation among the fodmap crowd, and I find red lentils the gentlest. Although, it's different for each person and as @erwin said above tolerance to high fodmap foods can change. If I watch portion size and make sure to pair them with fodmap free foods, I can enjoy any legumes or pulses without consequence. (losing them was my greatest fear going into fodmap testing)

The most interesting thing about fodmap sensitivities is you have to be careful not to stack. I'm particularly sensitive to fructans (wheat/garlic/onion), sorbitol (cabbage/avocado/apple) and mannitol (cauliflower/mushroom/celery). If I added celery to soup, assuming I limited the celery to about 10 grams I'd be fine. But, if I added celery and mushrooms then I'd have stacked two mannitols and I'd get ill. If I dared to add a couple of seitan strips as well then I'd get very ill and likely stay ill for a couple of days.

Learning how to add in naughties without stacking is the hardest part of establishing a diverse diet, and the people who enjoy experimenting as well as keeping records are the ones who benefit the most from the testing. Also, I second the Monash food app to anyone who knows they need to adjust diet to control their digestive system. It's the only app that I've ever purchased, and it's paid for itself countless times.

Thank you for taking so much time to give such a detailed explanation. It certainly does look like detective work to find the culprit(s). It must be difficult to be sensitive to so many different foods that are used when making certain dishes. I can also relate to some of those you listed e.g. beans, lentils, onions,cabbage family and soya which I don't think you listed. I haven't noticed the difference between tinned and dried beans. Lentils especially red ones are the kinder ones. However, I prefer green lentils. :unamused:

I have counteracted the onion problem by mostly using onion powder instead of a whole onion when making chillis or stews. Same goes for garlic as I'm not keen on the taste or smell so I use a sprinkle of garlic powder.
I also eat beans less often and try and make portions smaller which isn't always easy. Happily that I have no problem with seitan as it's a huge source of protein for me.

Not eating too many of the culprits during the same meal or during the course of the day, is an excellent tip.:up:

I will look into the link in more detail. :)

Thank you for taking so much time to give such a detailed explanation. It certainly does look like detective work to find the culprit(s). It must be difficult to be sensitive to so many different foods that are used when making certain dishes. I can also relate to some of those you listed e.g. beans, lentils, onions,cabbage family and soya which I don't think you listed. I haven't noticed the difference between tinned and dried beans. Lentils especially red ones are the kinder ones. However, I prefer green lentils. :unamused:

I have counteracted the onion problem by mostly using onion powder instead of a whole onion when making chillis or stews. Same goes for garlic as I'm not keen on the taste or smell so I use a sprinkle of garlic powder.
I also eat beans less often and try and make portions smaller which isn't always easy. Happily that I have no problem with seitan as it's a huge source of protein for me.

Not eating too many of the culprits during the same meal or during the course of the day, is an excellent tip.:up:

I will look into the link in more detail. :)
I'm happy to discuss digestive health because so many keep quiet out of embarrassment. I had some hard years and wouldn't wish them on anyone. Sharing what I know, so others can have a better quality of life, is the least I can do to pay back the people who helped me.

It is detective work. You have to know not only your body but also your food. Before I stopped eating cheese I knew that I could eat 32g of cheddar but not 34g! Sometimes it feels like a burden, but time and effort are.

I agree onion and garlic powder are much kinder than their whole food versions, and I do sneak them into some things. Hummus and guacamole wouldn't be the same without a hint of garlic, and it's not like I can have more than a spoonful anyway!

Being sensitive to galactans, and a lot of people are, is tough because you want a side of beans not a spoonful as a garnish. I think only lentils have a safe serving that's anywhere near what most people would want and then it's only canned lentils. Canned are safe to 45g (1/2c for the US folk) and boiled from dry they're safe to 23g. It's a blessing that you like seitan. Tempeh is my safe protein of choice, and I'd be lost without it. Speaking of, I did skip over soya. It's complicated within an already complicated system. This link has a chart that explains it well, and the site has some good tummy-friendly recipes.

I hope this thread helps you!

Being sensitive to galactans, and a lot of people are, is tough because you want a side of beans not a spoonful as a garnish. I think only lentils have a safe serving that's anywhere near what most people would want and then it's only canned lentils. Canned are safe to 45g (1/2c for the US folk) and boiled from dry they're safe to 23g. It's a blessing that you like seitan. Tempeh is my safe protein of choice, and I'd be lost without it. Speaking of, I did skip over soya. It's complicated within an already complicated system. This link has a chart that explains it well, and the site has some good tummy-friendly recipes.

I hope this thread helps you!

You are right about beans as I usually make a batch or open a tin a make a meal that stretches for two days. Once, I've added an onion and had soya milk for breakfast ; I start to feel the effects. I don't like tinned lentils and always make my own. Happily, I tolerate them far more than beans and have always enjoyed eating them.
I also like tempeh but it's far too expensive over here, so I tend to eat seitan (love) and some tofu, which I'm not too keen on. Seitan is the best invention ever made, at least for vegans. :D

I will have to look at the link with the chart and yes it does make things complicated. :confused:

Reactions: Tominejo
You are right about beans as I usually make a batch or open a tin a make a meal that stretches for two days. Once, I've added an onion and had soya milk for breakfast ; I start to feel the effects. I don't like tinned lentils and always make my own. Happily, I tolerate them far more than beans and have always enjoyed eating them.
I also like tempeh but it's far too expensive over here, so I tend to eat seitan (love) and some tofu, which I'm not too keen on. Seitan is the best invention ever made, at least for vegans. :D

I will have to look at the link with the chart and yes it does make things complicated. :confused:
Lentils are a friend to many, including myself. I'm happy the same is true for you, as they're little nutrient bombs of goodness. What does tempeh cost for you? For me, it's around 3.39usd and the conversion showed that to be around 2.60gbp and 3.14euro. Of course, that doesn't factor in distribution or availability, but I was shocked to read tempeh was more expensive then seitan.

Despite what my lower body says, my brain agrees that seitan is the freakin' best. I remember loving the chewy goodness and eating it regularly. Honestly, I ate it even when my logical mind had deduced that bad things happened if I ate it. :blush: Despite pea protein's best effort, seitan is the novelty 'meat' of the moment in the US with vegan butchers selling it for ridiculous prices. Demand is high enough that mass seitan producers are now raising their prices in the name of capitalism, I mean in the name of good business. (It's 4.50usd for bare bones seitan and up to 9.00usd for 'specialty' seitan. (and that's down south. who knows what's being charged in the mega cities)

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
Lentils are a friend to many, including myself. I'm happy the same is true for you, as they're little nutrient bombs of goodness. What does tempeh cost for you? For me, it's around 3.39usd and the conversion showed that to be around 2.60gbp and 3.14euro. Of course, that doesn't factor in distribution or availability, but I was shocked to read tempeh was more expensive then seitan.

Despite what my lower body says, my brain agrees that seitan is the freakin' best. I remember loving the chewy goodness and eating it regularly. Honestly, I ate it even when my logical mind had deduced that bad things happened if I ate it. :blush: Despite pea protein's best effort, seitan is the novelty 'meat' of the moment in the US with vegan butchers selling it for ridiculous prices. Demand is high enough that mass seitan producers are now raising their prices in the name of capitalism, I mean in the name of good business. (It's 4.50usd for bare bones seitan and up to 9.00usd for 'specialty' seitan. (and that's down south. who knows what's being charged in the mega cities)

Agree, if I had to pick the most delicious pulse/legume is would be a green lentil. Lentil & root vegetable soup must be the best ever. :D I also make lentil stew and use it as a binder when making pasties and pies/cottage pies. I freeze small portions in the freezer so I that I always have some on hand. Second favourite would be a tie between borlotti & black beans.

I will check out the price of tempeh as it's only available in the very expensive organic stores. You can't find it in any supermarket over here. I usually try and do all of my pb food shopping at the hypermarket and just go into the organic stores for food that I can't find elsewhere. I'm always amazed by the number of people that do a big haul over there........:rolleyes: On the other hand, I was surprised to find that a big carton of soya organic yogurt is far cheaper than Alpro's soya yogurt in the hypermarket. Why is shopping so complicated ?:(

Seitan is not only delicious but so versatile. I eat it in every possible manner and couldn't live without it. Not only is it satisfying by you can make so many different meals with it. Moreover, it's so easy to make. I make a huge batch and freeze small portions in chunks/slices. It's the same over here as it is quite expensive and doesn't even taste as good as homemade seitan.I think it's because you can season it according to your taste and also add other ingredients to make it have either a different texture or flavour. Thank you to whoever invented seitan. :D

Wow - thanks all for this thread! I agree with all the suggestions here. While I haven’t consulted a nutritionist, I am tempted by the idea. Cronometer worked well for me: I also used it to keep my weight up, and to keep track of nutrients. I did the FODMAP diet, but not strictly enough so I have number iffy foods I’m not sure about. I am gluten intolerant ( or perhaps coeliac - I have a blood test tomorrow). The short list of other foods I can’t tolerate well include onions, garlic, hot sauce, black pepper. I’ll try the onion powder idea. My digestion problems slow down my transition to WFPB / vegan diet. Sometimes I just have to eat.

Anyway, something that helped me find out what gives me problems is a food diary. I did this for a whole year a few years ago and am doing it again his year. I write down what I eat and reactions/ effects. I just buy an extra year calendar with one whole page per day.

Cheers,
Tom

Oh, forgot to mention my bloating saviour : fennel seed herbal tea.
I put a large pinch of fennel seeds in a strainer in a tea cup pour in hot water and let it steep a good five minutes or more. I drink it while it is still pleasantly warm. Usually as an after dinner or night time drink.

Wow - thanks all for this thread! I agree with all the suggestions here. While I haven’t consulted a nutritionist, I am tempted by the idea. Cronometer worked well for me: I also used it to keep my weight up, and to keep track of nutrients. I did the FODMAP diet, but not strictly enough so I have number iffy foods I’m not sure about. I am gluten intolerant ( or perhaps coeliac - I have a blood test tomorrow). The short list of other foods I can’t tolerate well include onions, garlic, hot sauce, black pepper. I’ll try the onion powder idea. My digestion problems slow down my transition to WFPB / vegan diet. Sometimes I just have to eat.

Anyway, something that helped me find out what gives me problems is a food diary. I did this for a whole year a few years ago and am doing it again his year. I write down what I eat and reactions/ effects. I just buy an extra year calendar with one whole page per day.

Cheers,
Tom
Kudos to you for recording your meals and reactions! That takes dedication. I did that at one point before I fodmapped as well as during the reintroduction phase and agree fodmap testing isn't an absolute cure.

Just this week I screwed up. I was so excited to find a commercially made oil-free hummus (Engine 2, for those who care) I forgot that they would use raw garlic making it. I ate it for several days in the recommended portions. (apparently, with a heaping dose of denial) It wasn't until I felt too poorly to stay in the kitchen long enough to make a scratch meal that it dawned on me that I had destroyed my progress again and sat down to determine how it had happened. I felt very stupid, but that's the arrogance that comes with success.

Good luck on your testing tomorrow/today! Getting a diagnosis takes soooo long and can cause much stress along the way. All the invisible illnesses, digestive and otherwise, are hard to bear.

Kudos to you for recording your meals and reactions! That takes dedication. I did that at one point before I fodmapped as well as during the reintroduction phase and agree fodmap testing isn't an absolute cure.

Just this week I screwed up. I was so excited to find a commercially made oil-free hummus (Engine 2, for those who care) I forgot that they would use raw garlic making it. I ate it for several days in the recommended portions. (apparently, with a heaping dose of denial) It wasn't until I felt too poorly to stay in the kitchen long enough to make a scratch meal that it dawned on me that I had destroyed my progress again and sat down to determine how it had happened. I felt very stupid, but that's the arrogance that comes with success.

Good luck on your testing tomorrow/today! Getting a diagnosis takes soooo long and can cause much stress along the way. All the invisible illnesses, digestive and otherwise, are hard to bear.
Ah, yes, the hummus trap => I've fallen into that one a number of times. In the moment of getting food (buying in a shop or ordering in a restaurant) I often forget all the things I need to avoid. I'll remember one then let slide another, and then there's trouble!

Back to the topic of bloating: One thing that helps me a lot is making sure my clothes are not too tight. Sounds insignificant, but it helps! Now, during cold months, it is easier, I just don't tighten my belt (and keep my belt line covered with a sweater/ jumper). During warmer seasons I wear suspenders/ braces.
Also, when I have had a dose of something I know will not go down well (like garlic) I take, uh, charcoal pills (?) in French charbon active.
Cheers,
Tom

• Agree
Reactions: MoreGreens
Oh, forgot to mention my bloating saviour : fennel seed herbal tea.
I put a large pinch of fennel seeds in a strainer in a tea cup pour in hot water and let it steep a good five minutes or more. I drink it while it is still pleasantly warm. Usually as an after dinner or night time drink.

I have a small bag of fennel seeds and must try that. I actually bought them to make seitan sausages. :rolleyes: