US Transitioning

• Thread starter Deleted member 8355
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8355

Hello Everyone! I am in the process of making the transition back into a vegan lifestyle. My story is not much different than Brenda Davis' in her book "Becoming Vegan". I have always been sensitive to the way animals are treated, so much so that I took to raising chickens myself for the eggs. My birds were treated like pets and were allowed to roam the yard all day and only shut into their spacious coop at night to protect them from predators. They lived their lives out and were never harvested for their meat. They died either from old age or is a hawk or fox managed to snatch one. But nearly every day I see trucks hauling caged birds to the mill and it so breaks my heart. I know they did not live the kind of lives my birds did. One day recently I ran across Sadia Badiei's "Pick Up Limes" while searching for videos on minimalism. She has such a kind approach to drawing people into veganism, and that is the only way I can be lead, so after watching several of her videos and remembering my nine months stent at veganism many years ago and how greatly it affected me, not only in the way I looked (people constantly told me my skin glowed, and I'm a guy!, and how body odor completely went away) but how I felt, I decided to make the move back. I'm not there yet. I have learned in my 58 years of living that to ween is better than cold turkey. I make conscious decisions every day about what I eat and am slowly eliminating animal products from my diet and life. If you are a purist remember to be patient and kind towards those of us who are not there yet as judgmentalism drives us away. I only say that because I have encountered it in the past.

Congratulations and welcome back to veganism :)

People are so different, but I suspect the majority is like you where a gentle and gradual approach is what works best.