Transitioning from Vegetarian to Vegan

alyssasmithsweet

Newcomer
Reaction score
I want to know if anyone has any tips about transitioning from vegetarianism to veganism? I have been considering it, but I am not quite sure if I can do it.

A lot of people have trouble with the idea of giving up cheese. I promise - it's possible to live a healthy, satisfying life without cheese! Years ago, the options for vegan were go without cheese completely or use weird tasting, rubbery substitutes. In the past couple of years, substitutes have undergone enormous transformations, and some are absolutely hard to tell from "the real thing". It's actually pretty easy to be vegan these days.

The very best thing about going vegan is the sense of relief you get knowing that you're no longer trapped into consuming products that go against your ethics. It's liberating. :)

I bet you can! :) Give it try...worst case scenario, it doesn't work out. Plan ahead as much as you can so you aren't left wondering what you are going to eat last minute. What are your biggest concerns? Cheese...eggs...milk?

Do it in stages, perhaps.

Also, while there are now some really decent vegan cheeses, don't expect them to taste exactly like the dairy cheeses you are used to. Some people become very disappointed when they can't find the exact same taste.

Also, why are you wanting to go vegan? Motivations are very important, I think.

Alyssa, great to hear that you want to transition from vegetarianism to veganism :)

I cut out dairy, eggs and cheese completely the same week I heard about the dark side of vegetarianism first, after being a vegetarian for 20 years.

I personally think that transitioning "step by step" makes it actually more difficult as you never address those addictions.
After some months, I tried out some vegan cheeses and included them - sparingly - into my vegan diet.

But that is just my personal experience.