Torygraph article: Can a vegan ever be sexy?

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
[...]Indeed, if there is one way of shedding one’s sex appeal – and fast – it would appear to be “going plant” . Bill Clinton was notoriously hot stuff as a chipmunk-cheeked burger-guzzler. Rendered a quinoa cultist for “health” reasons, he looks shrivelled, skeletal. Veganism has aged him 20 zombieish years in a way that a cigar habit and two terms at the helm of the Free World did not. So much for veganism’s antioxidant credentials.

Beyoncé , who wrote the song Bootylicious as “a celebration of curves and a celebration of women’s bodies”, has been pictured looking emaciated after a 22-day vegan cleanse, “thrilled” with her new, rather odd-looking US size 2 (UK 6) frame. She and husband Jay-Z are believed to have lost 100lbs between them on a largely mush-based regime, 70lbs of which issued from her own already-toned physique. Not only is she unrecognisably gaunt, her hair and skin lack lustre, and her onstage posture at the Grammy’s was less “Independent Woman”, more Malnourished Waif.

She then goes on to Natalie Portman, Anne Hathaway and others ....

Full article: Can a vegan ever be sexy? (Hannah Betts in The Telegraph, 15. March)

She then goes on to Natalie Portman, Anne Hathaway and others ....

Full article: Can a vegan ever be sexy? (Hannah Betts in The Telegraph, 15. March)

...because vegans should be judged as a whole by celebrities who deem themselves "vegan."

Emphasis on the quotations. Now please allow me to get my eyes out of the back of my head before they stay that way.

anyway, Natalie Portman is kind of sexy; even in those bloody awful Starwars prequel, she didn't come across too bad..

Reactions: Dedalus
My OH definitely has a soft spot for Natalie Portman! She is absolutely gorgeous, surely noone can dispute that?

What a load of rubbish that article is. It made me quite cross. I think it's possible that vegans who don't get their diet quite right don't look healthy, but the same can be said of omnivores -I think we can all picture what living on cheap meat, processed food and a load of dairy does for you. I know for sure that my skin is better since I've gone vegan, partly because I'm no longer scared of eating fats.

I think not having sluggish intestines full of animal products and not smelling rancid due to eating dairy is far more sexy myself!

I've never seen a picture of Beyonce looking 'emaciated'. The pics of her after the 22 day plant based diet showed her looking trim and healthy, not skinny and weak. I don't believe she lost 70lbs, that's ridiculous ~ 5 stone in 22 days?!

"As for health, while vegetables are undoubtedly a 1066 and All That “good thing”, my own periods of even non-fish consuming vegetarianism have also coincided with anaemia, vitamin B and D deficiency, inability to recover from illness, exhaustion and hair loss."

Is there a kind of vegetarianism other than "non-fish consuming"? Seems like this journo hasn't actually been vegetarian for 30 years like she claims. Wouldn't surprise me if this bitter little diatribe is the result of her trying (and failing) to move to a vegan diet.

"For vegans give up not only the obvious meat, fish, eggs and dairy. They are obliged to renounce: sugar (coloured with bone char), honey (the toil of bees), red foods (cochineal, made from insects), sweets, mousses, margarines, peanuts and crisps (gelatin, made from animal waste), soy cheeses (the milk protein casein), many breads (butter, whey), beer and wine (tropical fish bladders), even orange juice (often omega-3 enhanced) and the medicinal Bloody Mary (Worcestershire sauce contains anchovies)"

She doesn't actually seem to realise that vegans can consume sugar (non-bone char), red foods (not all contain cochineal), sweets, peanuts, crisps, soy cheeses, beer, wine and orange juice. Pfffft.

Reactions: Second Summer
That article was worthwhile just for the great comments that followed!

She doesn't actually seem to realise that vegans can consume sugar (non-bone char), red foods (not all contain cochineal), sweets, peanuts, crisps, soy cheeses, beer, wine and orange juice. Pfffft.

and some vegans don't pay attention to minor contaminants at all.