Tor - Anonymity Online Software

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This looks interesting, I haven't tried it yet. I hate being tracked, it feels like I'm always being watched. Judging by the junk mail and ads I get which relate to my web browsing, it's like they're looking over my shoulder constantly.

I really like that it allows people in censored countries to access the internet.

Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security known astraffic analysis

Tor protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, and it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location. Tor works with many of your existing applications, including web browsers, instant messaging clients, remote login, and other applications based on the TCP protocol.

https://www.torproject.org/index.html.en

This sounds really good. I'll have a look. Thanks!

I haven't used it, but have read about it. Won't this slow you down, though?

I also read recently that your anonymity isn't protected so well if you use it with bittorrent.

I wouldn't bother torrenting over it anyway, it would be terribly slow. It does make sites load a bit slower, but it usually isn't awful. I don't normally use it though, 'cause torrents are when I'd need it most. ;)

As a side note: it can be useful sometimes to access a site when your connection is having issues with that area in general (as well as, obviously, bypassing censorship).