Tofu-I'm breaking up with you

Dougrus

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Sorry folks...Ill do a vegan scramble with bell pepper, onion and nooch...or perhaps part of a vegan "cheese" or sauce....but...otherwise I'm frustrated. I'm a good cook and have tried tofu 1000 ways/methods...I just find it unsatisfying no matter what way I prepare it in cube form...Suggestions are welcome and will give them all a try in earnest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian W and Emma JC
Oh dear. Smoked tofu sandwiches with veganaise lettuce and sweet chilli had me a happy soyboy in the past. Nowadays i like it as a treat occasionally but i guess it is a bit of an aqcuired taste.

Reactions: Dougrus and Brian W
Oh dear. Smoked tofu sandwiches with veganaise lettuce and sweet chilli had me a happy soyboy in the past. Nowadays i like it as a treat occasionally but i guess it is a bit of an aqcuired taste.
That sounds very good! I certainly have never tried smoking it,

Maybe I am just strange - which I am - but, I really Like the taste of tofu! Even just plain straight out of the package!!
One thing though is that I Always buy organic tofu and I don’t like the idea of buying it in bulk from asian markets.
I have found that baking it sliced with a spray of oil and then turned to make it crispy on both sides gives a good result to
then either dip in sauce or add to something. Marinating it first might be better if you don’t like the taste of it plain.

Maybe I am just strange - which I am - but, I really Like the taste of tofu! Even just plain straight out of the package!!
One thing though is that I Always buy organic tofu and I don’t like the idea of buying it in bulk from asian markets.
I have found that baking it sliced with a spray of oil and then turned to make it crispy on both sides gives a good result to
then either dip in sauce or add to something. Marinating it first might be better if you don’t like the taste of it plain.
My issue is seems to be not so much with taste but texture. Depending on how I prepare it, its either too mushy inside or too dry. What prompted this thread in the first place was that I spent a lot of time pressing and preparing it and carefully pan frying it with spices etc and looked damn good. But it just wasnt on the inside. I have NOT tried an extended marinade on it so that is a good idea. I have coated and let it go for a little while but never an overnight type thing.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
My issue is seems to be not so much with taste but texture. Depending on how I prepare it, its either too mushy inside or too dry. What prompted this thread in the first place was that I spent a lot of time pressing and preparing it and carefully pan frying it with spices etc and looked damn good. But it just wasnt on the inside. I have NOT tried an extended marinade on it so that is a good idea. I have coated and let it go for a little while but never an overnight type thing.
Don't worry about it. There is no accounting for taste.

But if soft insides or the issue try slicing it thin and frying it.
My favorite is crispy baked ala Sarah's vegan kitchen.
I like Sarah's Vegan Kichen's recipes.

• Friendly
Reactions: Dougrus and Emma JC
yup, I hear you, have the same issues as you - I like it only two ways really and that is scrambled, as you mentioned, and made into a ricotta to either put in lasagna or into shells and baked in the oven in tomato sauce, Edgy Veg has a great recipe for it

I did once make Krocks in the Kitchen Chorizo Seasoned Tofu cubes and we did enjoy them, I just find them a bit finicky as I don't have an air fryer.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: KLS52 and Dougrus
See this is why you guys are great. Never thought to slice it thin. More surface area, more crisp, more flavor and less of that texture inside that I dont like....makes sense.

Anyone have any advice on how to properly smoke them?

Reactions: 1956 and Brian W
See this is why you guys are great. Never thought to slice it thin. More surface area, more crisp, more flavor and less of that texture inside that I dont like....makes sense.

Anyone have any advice on how to properly smoke them?
I've no idea. I buy mine ready smoked.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and Dougrus
My oldest son bought me a smoker for xmas last year right before I became vegan in January. Still in the box....now the wheels are turning.

Reactions: 1956 and Brian W
I love tofu any way but after it's been frozen! Hate it after freezing, but many others like it that way :shrug:

Tofu quiche? Many ways to do it, my preference is using a hash brown crust
I sautee the veggies, onions peppers mushrooms, and have a bag of thawed drained spinach
Put regular tofu in food processor, or blender, add spices, nooch if you like, add a bit of water, broth or milk to just thin out a bit-no more than 1/2 cup. Mix in veggies and grated vegan cheese if you like. Pour into crust or hash browns and bake at 375F for 40 min
I add some kala namak at serving

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and Dougrus

Have you tried freezing your tofu? Tofu develops a different texture after freezing. It becomes very "meaty.". Many recipes recommend freezing tofu, in order to change the " soft" texture.

About This Crispy Tofu Recipe

This is Mark Bittman's life changing crispy-tofu hack. Freezing the tofu causes the water pockets within it expand, which helps it to cook more evenly and makes space for the tofu to absorb extra flavor. Simmering the tofu firms and plumps it.

To finish the tofu, lightly sauté it in a small amount of oil. Very little oil is needed for the sauté, since the tofu pieces are already nice and firm.

When the tofu is in the pan, add any flavors you’d like in your final dish. If I’m making a stir fry, I like to add garlic, ginger, and soy sauce; if I’m adding the tofu to a dish that is already saucy (like this Chicken Stir Fry with Thai Peanut Sauce or this Tofu Stir Fry), I’ll simply toss the tofu with a bit of the sauce while the tofu is still warm.

A few days ago I bought a package of Hodo Foods Chinese 5 Spice Nuggets. If or when I buy it again I will check the price. I'm sure it's more expensive than regular tofu. It's been fried and slow cooked.

A few days ago I made a stir fry with it. I added it first and let it brown a bit and then added the other ingredients. It was pretty good. Last night I made Pho. I put the nuggets in with the cooked noodles and just added the broth. it was also pretty good.

@Douglas, It was very firm and chewy.