Toenail fungus issues

Dallastx40

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Hello to all!šŸ˜ I'm new to this forum and am considering being a vegan...predominantly based off of health issues...overweight, high blood pressure, and borderline diabetes, and fungal issues.
My question for everybody is...can I get rid of toenail fungus with a healthy vegan diet? I don't like the toenail oils they give to treat it...as they haven't worked for me...this toenail fungus is a problem the whole family is struggling with...my father has had it for years and I am barely struggling to treat his and mine with tea tree oil and lavender essential oil as they both help with fungal issues and are known to work synergistically together. I suspect the fungal issues to be a problem with my estrogen being weak and my father's estrogen being weak. Will being a vegan improve my estrogen over time?

Thanks for any help fully advice or insight into my fungal problem. šŸ˜‰

Reactions: Tegan30 and Emma JC
Welcome to the forum @Dallastx40 and I wish you all the best with your transition to veganism.

A healthy vegan diet would be a whole food plant based diet with minimal added oils, salt and sugar. Will it cure toenail fungus and improve estrogren? I don't believe that anyone can definitely say yes to those questions, what we can say yes to you is that the healthier your diet is then the healthier your body is.

Inflammation is one of the biggest causes of dis-ease in our bodies and so limiting the intake of foods that cause or exacerbate inflammation should be the goal. Animal products and oils cause inflammation and for some it can include gluten, for others nuts, and so on.

All of those other great things like tea tree and lavender are only treating the symptons of the inflammation, changing your diet will help to address the issue from the inside.

Please let us know how it goes and the steps you are taking to changeover. The environment and the animals will thank you along with your health!

Emma JC

Reactions: Veginout and Lou
I have had toenail fungus for .... counting fingers....taking off shoes and socks....counting toes.....more than 20 years. Ran out of toes to count

I used to try everything. every "solution" in the pharmacy, and all the other things like tea tree oil, etc.

I have dandruff, and I also have occasional flare-ups of jock itch and athletes foot. Both of those respond very well to external treatments. Although the Dandruff never seems to go completely away.

All of these things are fungus. So I guess it probably is that my body's immune system is weak on fungus. And there are other members of my family with toenail fungus (and dandruff, we haven't discussed jock itch). So it probably has some genetic component.

Anyway, every year at my physical I bring it up. (The first time I showed it to a Dr. she said, "oh, my. that is the worst case of toenail fungus I've ever seen. " She also said if I was a woman she would recommend a pedicure. )

Anyway, there is a real cure for it. And it is just two pills. One now and one in a month or something. But before you take the second pill you have to go get some kind of liver test. The pill is a fungicide - which is just a special kind of poison. So it sometimes affects the liver adversely. and if you show any adverse effects from the first pill - you don't take the second. But that doctor and every other one I've asked about it has said the same thing. Livers are way more important than toenails - but it's up to you. I've also known two people who got rid of it with the pills and are fine now. I just don't want to risk it. I can live with it pretty easy. It's not worth risking my liver.

Plus it can come back. Not sure what the procedure is but does it involve throwing away all your shoes? carpet? socks? By now the spores must be everywhere.

Oh, by the way. The fungus spreads from inside your body. I think its called the nail's root. Your nail is already infected when it moves out of your body. So there is no way to treat it externally. All those creams and external solutions are bogus. I have heard that there might be a way to treat it with lasers. But so far no Doctor has recommended that to me.

I used to think maybe I could strengthen my immune system to such an extent that it would defeat the fungus. but so far that hasn't happened and I no longer hold out much hope in that area.

Being plant-based is good for so many other things. Toenail fungus is just not one of them. (sighs)

I am so sorry to hear all that Lou - my spouse has psoriasis in a similar way and cutting back on alcohol helps, swimming in salt water helps, and being plant based and restricting oils has definitely helped. It still hasn't gone away completely and that may be that he doesn't do all three options on a regular basis.

Emma JC

I am so sorry to hear all that Lou - my spouse has psoriasis in a similar way and cutting back on alcohol helps, swimming in salt water helps, and being plant based and restricting oils has definitely helped. It still hasn't gone away completely and that may be that he doesn't do all three options on a regular basis.

Emma JC

I don't know anything about psoriasis. Is it a fungus too?

I've had this for so long I don't even notice it anymore. Back when it wasn't on every toenail I did notice if it was spreading. but now I couldn't tell you if it gets worse or better. Toenails grow so slowly too, any changes are pretty much too gradual too notice.

If I was a lady with a penchant for open-toe shoes, this might actually even be a concern. but I'm not. It isn't. Twenty years ago I went to see a lady who gave me a pedicure and a "special" treatment that would get rid of the toenail fungus. but it was just superficially better. but if your main concern is cosmetics that might be a good option.

Thanks to everybody for your responses to my thread and for your encouragement to turn vegan.

I think I found an answer to my problem online last night...there was something about lamisil cream for the toenail fungus...it requires a prescription. I think I'm gonna give it a try..

Thanks

Thanks to everybody for your responses to my thread and for your encouragement to turn vegan.

I think I found an answer to my problem online last night...there was something about lamisil cream for the toenail fungus...it requires a prescription. I think I'm gonna give it a try..

Thanks

I've tried the Lamisil that is not prescription strength. It didn't work. Keep in mind that the toenail fungus lives under the skin. It's really hard to get to it with a topical cream.

I don't know anything about psoriasis. Is it a fungus too?

I've had this for so long I don't even notice it anymore. Back when it wasn't on every toenail I did notice if it was spreading. but now I couldn't tell you if it gets worse or better. Toenails grow so slowly too, any changes are pretty much too gradual too notice.

This is an article that tells the difference between the two and the similarities. There are some ads on the page so you may also wish to google
psoriasis fungus inflammation
and see what other medical sources have to say.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
Coconut oil and coconut products are some of the most popular in the plant-based world.

Turns out, all that coconut youā€™ve been consuming may also have been fighting off fungal infections as well.

Research has shown that coconut oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties making it effective at warding off fungal infections such as candida and yeast infections.

Turns out that oils can also be inflammatory so if you believe that coconut has antibacterial and antifungal properties then eat the coconut in its whole form.

Emma JC

Reactions: Emma JC
Hello to all!šŸ˜ I'm new to this forum and am considering being a vegan...predominantly based off of health issues...overweight, high blood pressure, and borderline diabetes, and fungal issues.
My question for everybody is...can I get rid of toenail fungus with a healthy vegan diet? I don't like the toenail oils they give to treat it...as they haven't worked for me...this toenail fungus is a problem the whole family is struggling with...my father has had it for years and I am barely struggling to treat his and mine with tea tree oil and lavender essential oil as they both help with fungal issues and are known to work synergistically together. I suspect the fungal issues to be a problem with my estrogen being weak and my father's estrogen being weak. Will being a vegan improve my estrogen over time?

Thanks for any help fully advice or insight into my fungal problem. šŸ˜‰
Well, I went vegan, almost no sugar and oil about 6 months ago,. a month ago, I started noticing my toe growing without fungus, pushing the ugly nail out... it could be the reduced sugar making the big difference, no idea because I changed 3 major things. Iā€™m noticing a lot of other positive changes, dandruff disappeared and varicose veins reducing down. Iā€™m a believer now, never going back.

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Well, I went vegan, almost no sugar and oil about 6 months ago,. a month ago, I started noticing my toe growing without fungus, pushing the ugly nail out... it could be the reduced sugar making the big difference, no idea because I changed 3 major things. Iā€™m noticing a lot of other positive changes, dandruff disappeared and varicose veins reducing down. Iā€™m a believer now, never going back.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your lifestyle changes!!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com