jou_s1998

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Does someone live in a so-called "tiny house" or has any experience with it?

What are your experiences and what do I need to know, when I'm interrested in a tiny house? Would you recommend it? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

I think they’re really cute but, personally, I couldn’t do it. I don’t have any experience or knowledge, sorry. There’s a tv show that features tiny house living and I’ve read a few articles. I feel like it would be awesome and really freeing, provided it was in a place where you could enjoy the outdoors. And I probably couldn’t have three indoor only cats. Lots to consider...I definitely couldn’t do it living with someone. I would have to live alone.

We once built a small 10x10 cabin on a piece of land we bought, living in it was a fairly nice experience, if there was only one person in it, two would make it feel very cramped, it seems that 100 sqft is the bare minimum amount of personal space needed for indoor comfort, more to accommodate for a kitchen and bathroom, two of the most essential functions required for a fully functional home.

One of the advantages is that you'll be consuming little resource to heat the house, not to speak of the very low cost to build it in the first place. The house will feel cozy and intricate, with such a tiny space you'd be able to perfect every single detail, maintaining the place at its best, contrary to large homes which are virtually impossible to keep immaculate.

Down side is, you probably won't be able to have many guests over for dinner, better plan them at a friend's house instead :)

I think Mic the Vegan also has a YT channel about building his tiny house... Probably worth to check out!

Reactions: KLS52
It's funny to me to hear about tiny houses when people have been living in apartments that are just as tiny and not giving it much thought.
That tv show on hgtv was ridiculous to me.
How about shipping containers? Now that's a good idea!

I watched a documentary on YT the other day about tiny houses. They were very cleverly designed to have a lot of storage. I think it would be fine if I lived on my own but I have my husband and 5 animals! My house is pretty small anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
I watch a lot of YouTube videos about tiny houses and van livers. High Carb Hannah and her husband Derek (Handeeman) have been living in one for over 3 years now and they are building a house on their land in Arizona and she can't wait, she is sick and tired of living tiny. Many van lifers love it and they travel a lot. I think if I was 30 years younger it is something that I would consider but at my age I would prefer something a bit bigger and something that has some land. I will build a tiny house for visitors. :smile:

Emma JC

High Carb Hannah and her husband Derek (Handeeman) have been living in one for over 3 years now and they are building a house on their land in Arizona and she can't wait, she is sick and tired of living tiny.

I know, their new house will be huge in comparison!

Reactions: Emma JC
It's funny to me to hear about tiny houses when people have been living in apartments that are just as tiny and not giving it much thought.
That tv show on hgtv was ridiculous to me.
How about shipping containers? Now that's a good idea!

That's quite true, people seem to go into raptures when it comes to tiny detached houses, but neglect the fact the there are many who live in spaces just as small, I suppose it's because regular houses fall into a certain size range, having a comparatively small one is against the norm therefore distinguishing itself with unique features, hence all the excitement over the subject.

Shipping containers are pretty good, I've seen people on youtube who renovated their own from scratch and have been living happily in them, you'd have to source one that's in good shape though. Another option is to get a trailer and build a mobile house on top of it, the virture of this is that you avoid the hassle of having to pour a foundation, as well as getting a permit for it.

The Tiny House movement reminds me of the show Survivor, where priveleged, largely white folks, take a lifestyle that has been a tenet of poverty and make into a fun diversion. 🙄
But that's okay, when it gets destroyed in a tornado or whatever, they will be insured!

• Haha
Reactions: alexw32
I live (alone) on a small sail boat, 30 ft. long but only 8 ft. wide at the widest point, approximately 120 sq. ft. if living area. I have an ice chest size refrigerator, a Laveo Dry Flush toilet, an alcohol two burner stove, a small sink but no running water (I store my water in 5 repurposed empty ammonia bottles), and I sleep on a Coleman air mattress using beach towels for my bedding. I do have 120 volt power and therefore a windowless two vent air conditioner when I am docked in my marina slip. I am completely comfortable.
Because I am in the Deep South I can wear quick dry cycling/swimming clothes most of the year so I can do my laundry in a 5 gal. bucket (air dry and I use ammonia or dish soap because they rinse out much easier than laundry detergents). I sometimes cook vegan dehydrated back-packer foods but mostly I eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches so I have very few dishes to deal with.
My boat is usually docked at night in my marina slip on a bayou. The marina has some rudimentary amenities (a serviceable shower). And I am walking distance to a lovely walkable community with coffee shops, laundries, a library, several excellent restaurants, etc. What I like best is my million dollar location and view. Directly across the bayou from my boat is a State Park undeveloped wilderness area so I see alligators, osprey, eagles, herons, otters, deer, etc. almost every day. If there is a spot on this earth that is more of a paradise then people should not allow themselves to go there because they will only squander it with their presence.
What I like next best is that moving into this tiny, simple space forced me to give up most of my possessions. I believe that every possession caries some burdens for ourselves and at some future point for our heirs. Therefore I am striving to want and to have less.
There are lots of van-life and small RV trailer living YouTubes, both on and off grid (even some vegan ones) for inspiration and ideas. Also, I agree very much with the apartment living response and think that apartment living is probably more or as least as planet friendly as tiny home living.

I live (alone) on a small sail boat, 30 ft. long but only 8 ft. wide at the widest point, approximately 120 sq. ft. if living area. I have an ice chest size refrigerator, a Laveo Dry Flush toilet, an alcohol two burner stove, a small sink but no running water (I store my water in 5 repurposed empty ammonia bottles), and I sleep on a Coleman air mattress using beach towels for my bedding. I do have 120 volt power and therefore a windowless two vent air conditioner when I am docked in my marina slip. I am completely comfortable.
Because I am in the Deep South I can wear quick dry cycling/swimming clothes most of the year so I can do my laundry in a 5 gal. bucket (air dry and I use ammonia or dish soap because they rinse out much easier than laundry detergents). I sometimes cook vegan dehydrated back-packer foods but mostly I eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches so I have very few dishes to deal with.
My boat is usually docked at night in my marina slip on a bayou. The marina has some rudimentary amenities (a serviceable shower). And I am walking distance to a lovely walkable community with coffee shops, laundries, a library, several excellent restaurants, etc. What I like best is my million dollar location and view. Directly across the bayou from my boat is a State Park undeveloped wilderness area so I see alligators, osprey, eagles, herons, otters, deer, etc. almost every day. If there is a spot on this earth that is more of a paradise then people should not allow themselves to go there because they will only squander it with their presence.
What I like next best is that moving into this tiny, simple space forced me to give up most of my possessions. I believe that every possession caries some burdens for ourselves and at some future point for our heirs. Therefore I am striving to want and to have less.
There are lots of van-life and small RV trailer living YouTubes, both on and off grid (even some vegan ones) for inspiration and ideas. Also, I agree very much with the apartment living response and think that apartment living is probably more or as least as planet friendly as tiny home living.
Wow that sounds amazing and very impressive!

That is very interesting.

I follow A Streamin Life on YT, although they aren't vegan and they have actually bought a house recently and so don't travel as much anymore. They live off grid, though.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Netflix has the show How to Live Mortgage Free.

One woman turns a boat into a home. Someone else (I believe it was on this show?) turned an old trailer into a home with a folding deck.

I don't know if I could live in a tiny home long-term, but I'm considering it as a short-term option. The housing in my area is rundown cheap or mega expensive, without much in between.