Tinned and dried easy to store foods

Brian W

Conscientious Christian
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
One thing the coronavirus has shown me is that there is a noticeable absence of vegan tinned and dried convenience foods that are easy to store. I know we can buy legumes and dred soya mince but if I fancy something quick, easy and tasty, it usually comes from the fridge or freezer. I have noticed that there are more ovo-vegetarian foods available in tins these days which is a step in the right direction.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
I don't have tinned ready meals but have a few ones that are in plastic containers that are plant based. I know that M&S also have them in their stores. I think that you have to hunt around the individual shops are plant based food is always mingled with omni food.

Over here, it's like going on a wild goos chase as they have pb with omni food on the same shelves.

• Friendly
Reactions: Brian W and Val
One thing the coronavirus has shown me is that there is a noticeable absence of vegan tinned and dried convenience foods that are easy to store. I know we can buy legumes and dred soya mince but if I fancy something quick, easy and tasty, it usually comes from the fridge or freezer. I have noticed that there are more ovo-vegetarian foods available in tins these days which is a step in the right direction.

I love baked beans for those quick and easy grabs.

If you have time to add onion, garlic, jalapeno and a few spices great and if not just open the can, heat the beans and throw them on toast.

Chick peas in a can also can so quickly be edible, just rinse and add vinegar, spices, a couple of chopped veggies or not. Or mash them quickly and make a faux tuna sandwich from them, so quick.

Noodles - most of the instant or quick noodles in a package ramen etc can be ready to eat in no time and adding some quick veggies, to the pot, ups their nutritional content.

Emma JC

I'm mostly stocking up on canned red beans, canned sweet corn and canned green peas. At least i can be sure they're vegan. (I have a couple jars of refried beans, but i understood a long time ago, that one has to be careful with refried beans, as sometimes they're not vegan),- moreover, they are too oily, as a rule. I never consume canned stuff in tomato sauce though, so i'm quite picky about canned food.
I also have some canned fruit in syrup. My mom has a lot of canned carnivorous stuff in the pantry and in the fridge, lol.
Right now i'm trying (will be trying) to stock up on canned beans, as they're essential for me (due to the leak of Biotine). It's not that easy to find what i need though (in conditions of people's panic-buying). When/IF i get my wages, i'll buy some marinated veggies in glass jars and canned veggies, in case of the quarantine, which is more than possible in the nearest future. (As soon as i'm a "wet person", i can't chew beans and legumes during a month or two, without any fruits and veggies).

• Friendly
Reactions: Brian W and Emma JC
I love baked beans for those quick and easy grabs.

If you have time to add onion, garlic, jalapeno and a few spices great and if not just open the can, heat the beans and throw them on toast.

Emma JC
That's a great Idea - I forget baked beans easily but I was once forced to live on them for a number of weeks. I can make a good curry out of them and it has been a popular curry so far, even with meat eaters. Toast might be a little difficult as we have nowhere to store bread long term. I wanted to buy flour today but - surprise surprise - everywhere has sold out!

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and Emma JC
We always have dried beans, TVP, canned baked beans, tomato paste, flour, cornmeal, pasta, etc. on hand.

I use the cornmeal for corn tortillas, cornbread, and polenta. Polenta is really easy and satisfying. I made some yesterday.

I buy canned tomatoes, and like to keep one pineapple in juice, and fat free refried beans, and garbanzos since I don't really like them enough to cook from dry. I also like canned dolmas-Trader Joes are vegan and I think most are.
When I was at Aldi I thought about some canned fruit, they had few left and were in syrup so I passed
I don't like any veg in cans
I don't understand why I hate polenta- it sounds like something I'd like, and I try it every chance I get, but can't stand it. I also really hate risotto,though that too sounds so good