Tick and Flea Problem!! Please help!!

coralyn

Newcomer
Reaction score
I am looking for the best treatment for ticks and fleas in dogs. I have a three year old male shih tzu named Rufa and he's been suffering for days. Any home solution suggestions?

Have you talked to your veterinarian about the problem? Taking the dog to the vet for help should be your first course of action.

The best treatment for ticks is not the best treatment for fleas, in my not-a-veterinarian opinion.

Fleas are nasty. If you get an infestation, you'll know it sooner or later, and when it gets bad enough, the fleas will bite you (but they can't live off of you). You'll see them, they are small black creatures, about the size of a small sesame seed. In my experience, *everything* the animal regularly comes in contact with needs to be treated, as well as the animal. Fleas will live in carpeting and bedding.

Ticks are a lot easier to deal with, at least in my area (common tick species can vary). One can simply pull them off, which appears to be the recommended method (for humans at least).

But check with a vet *first*. They'll know what's common in the area, they can check your pet, and what the best course of treatment is.

If your pet is regularly getting fleas, you need to talk to your vet about flea prevention. This may not be the same thing as flea treatment.

If you're pet is regularly getting tickets, not only do you need to talk to your vet about tick prevention, but you need to learn about what human-transmitted diseases ticks can transmit in your area, and how to limit tick bites for yourself (wearing light colored clothing, sticking pants legs in socks, etc). Some tick diseases can be pretty serious for humans - rocky mounted spotted fever and lyme disease are no joke.

Reactions: thefadedone
Lyme Disease is definitely not a joke. My sisters Yorkie was just diagnosed with Lyme and he is on a course of meds (they live in Massachusetts). He started limping, wasn't eating, etc. He is thankfully already on the road to recovery. As you know it can affect humans as well.

I would definitely consult your veterinarian.

For dogs already infested, Frontline Plus used with Capstar has worked well for me. Capstar will kill fleas for 24 hours. Frontline Plus will break the life cycle and any eggs laid once a flea has bitten the dog will not hatch. Frontline Plus does take a while to kill all fleas though because it basically breaks the life cycle, but if there are still unhatched eggs in your house, those fleas won't be affected until they bite your dog. It will also kill ticks. Frontline Top Spot kills fleas and ticks. Frontline Plus kills fleas and ticks and breaks the flea life cycle by keeping eggs from hatching.

You will also have to wash all bedding and vacuum carpets and furniture. Putting a flea collar in the vacuum bag helps kill the little pests so they can't find their way back out. I'd also spray items like furniture with a flea killer. It may sound toxic but the little buggers are hard to get rid of once you have large numbers of them.

And yes, talk to your vet about Lyme disease.

If by "home solution" you mean something that is not a commercial flea/tick preventative, then no, such a thing does not exist, at least not an effective remedy.

Wolfie's advice is spot on.