Animal Rights Thoughts on Honey? Is it Vegan? Healthy? Humane?

Bite Size Vegan

Vegan Fruit-Ninja
Reaction score
this can be controversial within the vegan community (as i am coming to learn)…for some people i've met, it's the last thing they give up. some vegans still consume honey and don't see an issue.

what do you guys think about it? there's also the issue of pollination, though i've found through researching that "kept" bees are a small portion of our food's pollinators and are even harmful to native pollinators. thoughts?

While I'm not vegan myself, I understand that the vegan ethic is to avoid all animal products as much as possible, because consumption of animal products is harmful to animals and is considered to be exploitation of animals. That means that honey is not vegan.

Reactions: Bite Size Vegan
Stealing honey from hardworking bees is not vegan.

In as much as you cannot remove more honey from bees than bees need to thrive'n'survive; You can't actualy steal honey from bees. You can only collect the excess.

Contrary to my, untill quite recently held, belief the interference of commercial bee keepers with the natural order of bees is massive though.

Since learning of that I've not eaten any honey.

Reactions: Tom L.
Not not really , i hardly used honey in the years past , i would get a bottle and it will sit and sit and hardly get used, i had some in my tea and it tasted awful.

i'm the kind of vegan who gives the same weight to indirect harm, suffering, and violent death as direct harm, suffering, and violent death. since many food crops are associated with truly staggering amounts of bee (and other insect) death i have never understood why honey would be considered less vegan than say cucumbers, melons, or almonds.

Reactions: Bite Size Vegan
i'm the kind of vegan who gives the same weight to indirect harm, suffering, and violent death as direct harm, suffering, and violent death. since many food crops are associated with truly staggering amounts of bee (and other insect) death i have never understood why honey would be considered less vegan than say cucumbers, melons, or almonds.
preach it! :pumpkin: