This is interesting - is there a new trend coming in vegetable cooking?

angie54321

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Watching Masterchef the other night I commented how even top chefs seem unable to cook without meat or fish.

And then this morning I noticed this article - about chefs not necessarily cooking without animal products, but relegating it to the side dish:

Rogan is unequivocal: “Vegetables are far more interesting and versatile, I believe, and cooking vegetables creatively to be integral to a dish shows far more skill and imagination than turning out meat and two veg.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...entre-stage-even-in-the-desserts-8752741.html

I'd love this attitude to filter down to 'normal' restaurants (the ones I can afford to eat in!!)

Since the 5 A Day campaigne, vegetables have become more and more popular. There are even books that have been published on how to bake with them !
Beetroot chocolate cake and courgette muffins, pumkin sweet fritters are just a few of the numerous recipes that one can find.

Some more down to earth cooks like Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall and his River Cottage Veg Everyday series, has certainly contributed to a broader interest on how to cook vegetables in a more elaborate manner.

There are occasionally vegetarian challenges on cookery shows, and sometimes the mystery ingredient on Masterchef is a block of tofu, which is always fun to watch. It's still a little bit of a novelty, but it's great to see it slowly become more popular :)

There are occasionally vegetarian challenges on cookery shows, and sometimes the mystery ingredient on Masterchef is a block of tofu, which is always fun to watch. It's still a little bit of a novelty, but it's great to see it slowly become more popular :)

I don't know one single person in my inner circle that would know what to do with it. :confused:

This was a challenge on one of the US shows here. The chef cooked it in beef fat.:mad: He ruined a perfectly good vegan dish.

Reactions: Everleigh