Thinking Outside of the Box

Hog

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I am way too philosophical tonight.😂

I remember how my teacher told me that I should think outside the box. I am sure she had good intentions. That advice sounds like something that belongs on a bumper sticker. The advice is true enough. Yet, it does not take us anywhere.

I have spent my entire life living in my cozy little box. Everything is comfortable and perfectly blissful inside this little box of ignorance and self-deception. I like my box.

Once I took a momentary step outside the box and went vegan, everyone gets nervous and tells me to get back in it. Getting out of the box is not healthy or safe according to them. It is only an action of a mad man who has lost connection with this thing called reality.

Still, stepping outside of the box reminds me of Pandora's box. Once it is opened even once for a little bit, we become aware of pain and suffering. The only thing that remains is hope. Pandora is also similar to the creation story of Adam and Even. Once they had knowledge of good and evil, they could not go back to their state of blissful ignorance.

The issue with being vegan is not about having the intellectual fortitude to think creatively and differently. It is about having the guts and curiosity to think outside of the box in the first place.

I often see this as more of a Shrodingers box.
I believe most people are very much aware of the cruelty of most things we do to animals for our food and use. They have that one side of the list about the benefits of NOT eating animal products and the other list of liking and needing animal products for nutrition, economy, and convenience.
As long as they don't formulate any strong options they both mingle in that box and they can go back and forth to which side is optimal for the occasion. Like pretend buying grass fed beef and free range chicken is good. Oh that's expensive, lets try plant based. Didn't like it, just go back to what you know.
It's scary to know what's in that box because then YOU are responsible for getting things wrong
As long as you can pretend all exist equally in that thought box you can pick and choose. Once you know the truth you're responsible for being hypocritical. At that point many people still want to ignore the truth for their own wants

I haven't thought this thru yet but I like the analogy of a dam or dike bursting.
the first revelation is like small hole in the dam. As the water goes thru the hole it erodes the dam and allows for more water to go thru. the more water that goes thru the bigger the hole gets and the more water goes thru.

• Agree
Reactions: Hog and Emma JC
I haven't thought this thru yet but I like the analogy of a dam or dike bursting.
the first revelation is like small hole in the dam. As the water goes thru the hole it erodes the dam and allows for more water to go thru. the more water that goes thru the bigger the hole gets and the more water goes thru.

yes, this describes the journey for me, somewhat

holes in the dyke that would get plugged and then another and then another and then when I finally had a good life jacket and unsinkable boat I was able to let it flow freely

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com