Thick as two short planks.

P

Paul Gammage

When it comes to food, well, see my subject line... I am a fifty-one-year-old bachelor. I prepare all my own food. It's been a grim half-century...

A couple of years ago, however, I discovered 'slow cookers' AKA 'crock pots'. Things changed after this discovery: I actually make stuff that is, well, pleasant to eat. I...

Oops! Off on a tangent.

Ahem!

My reason for this post being a simple question from a simple man: I eat four tortilla wraps for supper every night. Spinach, garlic, peppers, baby plum tomatoes, black bean sauce and the tremendous 'Flying Goose Brand Super Hot Chilli Sauce' (from Timsing - Chinese - Foods, Northampton). Also, in the aforementioned mix, go soya chunks - ten per wrap.

Now then, I soak 'em - the soya chunks - in boiling water, with some Lee Kum Kee Premium Dark Soy Sauce (also from Timsing), and some turmeric.

My question being: are they 'cooked' after the soaking, do you think, or do I have to microwave 'em for three minutes; as I'm doing now?

Like I said, I really am as thick as two short planks where it comes to all things culinary.

I'd be grateful for any and all advice re., the soya chunks dilemma.

Tatty bye.

Hi there,

I'm presuming you are talking about tofu? In which case, tofu can actually be eaten raw (it's almost always precooked in the package, just check). You can cook it however you like it best. If you prefer it microwaved, then go ahead and do that. :)

Hi there,

I'm presuming you are talking about tofu? In which case, tofu can actually be eaten raw. You can cook it however you like it best. If you prefer it microwaved, then go ahead and do that. :)
I am, like I said, talking about soya chunks. Soya chunks on the pack. That's what they're called: TexturedSoya chunks..png vegetable protein (TVP), also known as textured soy protein (TSP), soy meat, or soya chunks is a defatted soy flour product, a by-product of extracting soybean oil. It is often used as a meat analogue or meat extender.

Addendum: the 'preparation instructions' on the pack just -hyper-helpfully - advise once to soak said chunks; not a sausage re., cooking the things.

OK. Thing is there is no standard accepted definition for what 'soya chunks' means.
Again as long as these chunks are hydrated you should be able to eat them raw, the rest is down to your personal preference. You just need to make sure that they are well hydrated. :)

I believe this definition for Textured Vegetable Protein AKA soya chunks: Textured vegetable protein, also known as textured soy protein, soy meat, or soya chunks is a defatted soy flour product, a by-product of extracting soybean oil. It is often used as a meat analogue or meat extender.

OK. Thing is there is no standard accepted definition for what 'soya chunks' means.
Again as long as these chunks are hydrated you should be able to eat them raw, the rest is down to your personal preference. You just need to make sure that they are well hydrated. :)
Thanks very much for the advice. I eat 'em cold, you see, and soaking 'em in boiling water and soy sauce and turmeric, then letting 'em cool down, then microwaving 'em, then letting 'em cool down... Hassle-tastic! I've some soaking at this very moment. I shall forego the microwaving and just squeeze the excess fluid out of 'em, wrap 'em in silver foil, and stick 'em in the fridge ready for tonight's supper extravaganza. Eating tortilla wraps whilst reading a Yrsa Sigurðardóttir book is highly recommended, by the way. Thanks again for putting my fevered mind at rest, O gloomy (why?) winter.frost.

thanks for the advice. I eat the soya chunks after just soaking 'em. Still alive and kicking today, after devouring 'em for supper last night. They were, texture-wise, far better than after microwaving 'em. The aforementioned process tending to soften 'em up too much; soggy soya chunks-a-go-go. Thanks again for your advice.