UK The wild.

JacobVeganism

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegan newbie
Let me preface this by saying that what occurs by evolution or in the wild does not justify what action we take by any means. However, watching a few wildlife shows has made me rather melancholic about the requirement of suffering and death. I am not necessarily saying that we should intervene, but is it only me who get depressed at the idea that suffering and death is REQUIRED for ecosystems to function? Each individual species has a preference to avoid suffering and to continue living. No species submisses to a predator, even though a certain statistic must in order to avoid overpopulation. I am aware that the suffering that would arise if ecological issues occured is greater than suffering at present, but it seems strange to me that our species and our pets can live free of threat, whilst everything else cannot. Again, I am not saying "well it's gonna happen anyway, so why don't we do it" by any means, but it does make our efforts seem futile.

Let me preface this by saying that what occurs by evolution or in the wild does not justify what action we take by any means. However, watching a few wildlife shows has made me rather melancholic about the requirement of suffering and death. I am not necessarily saying that we should intervene, but is it only me who get depressed at the idea that suffering and death is REQUIRED for ecosystems to function? Each individual species has a preference to avoid suffering and to continue living. No species submisses to a predator, even though a certain statistic must in order to avoid overpopulation. I am aware that the suffering that would arise if ecological issues occured is greater than suffering at present, but it seems strange to me that our species and our pets can live free of threat, whilst everything else cannot. Again, I am not saying "well it's gonna happen anyway, so why don't we do it" by any means, but it does make our efforts seem futile.

Let’s focus on what we can improve.

Most everyone feels badly for prey, but they also feel badly when predators starve. It is what it is. We're not wild, and don't have their lives, but we certainly have more than enough we need to change with how we manage our own society!
Prey and predators have their own natures, and it's not for us to interfere
I have the US news on now. Lets just say we have enough to change for our own species

Most everyone feels badly for prey, but they also feel badly when predators starve. It is what it is. We're not wild, and don't have their lives, but we certainly have more than enough we need to change with how we manage our own society!
Prey and predators have their own natures, and it's not for us to interfere
I have the US news on now. Lets just say we have enough to change for our own species
Very true, but it seems beyond me that we are so separate. Why is it that we don't care to manage our own population, but we subjegate prey to death for that very reason? I promote for more research into preventative measures. "It is what it is", doesn't satisfy me. Part of being anti-speciesist is considering all species' value. As I said, it isn't practicable and would likely cause more suffering to intervene, but all I want is more research.

Very true, but it seems beyond me that we are so separate. Why is it that we don't care to manage our own population, but we subjegate prey to death for that very reason? I promote for more research into preventative measures. "It is what it is", doesn't satisfy me. Part of being anti-speciesist is considering all species' value. As I said, it isn't practicable and would likely cause more suffering to intervene, but all I want is more research.
If you really want to be anti-speciesist you'd bring together representitives of all the species to have a consensus :hugs:, instead of just the humans deciding on what they percieve as 'preventative' measures :gl:

I mean does it get any more speciesist than humans deciding how other animals should or should live?

Reactions: Emma JC
If you really want to be anti-speciesist you'd bring together representitives of all the species to have a consensus :hugs:, instead of just the humans deciding on what they percieve as 'preventative' measures :gl:

I mean does it get any more speciesist than humans deciding how other animals should or should live?
Not really as we have the ability to perceive and decide ways in which suffering is minimised. But I see your point. Differences in characteristics make it so that we cannot have truly equal consideration.

Yes it does, that isn't speciesist at all, because if there are two warring aboriginal tribes who are spearing and canabalising each other and also dying prematurely from disease, malnutrition, predation and other causes, it isn't racist, xenophobic, dictatorial or any other negative adjective to decide how they should live and intervene. It is only good, just, moral, compassionate, etc., to do so.

Reactions: JacobVeganism
Yes it does, that isn't speciesist at all, because if there are two warring aboriginal tribes who are spearing and canabalising each other and also dying prematurely from disease, malnutrition, predation and other causes, it isn't racist, xenophobic, dictatorial or any other negative adjective to decide how they should live and intervene. It is only good, just, moral, compassionate, etc., to do so.

"to decide how they should live and intervene" - How can this be done without being at least partly dictatorial?

"to decide how they should live and intervene" - How can this be done without being at least partly dictatorial?

Fine but it's an example of dictorial power being used for good - not the kind implied by his Hitler emoji. The point is it isn't a bad thing to intervene when bad things are happening.

Are spearing and cannabilism among aboriginal tribes "rights" you think should be preserved, untouched?