The VV "how to" guide

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
How to change style a.k.a. skin?
Click the link in the lower left corner of the window. The default style is currently "Flexile Dark - Blue", so that is the link you want to click.

How to stop watching topics a.k.a. threads or stop receiving email notifications?
Click on your username (with the little down-arrow) in the upper, right-ish area of the window. This will show a lot of options including "Preferences" which is the link you want to click. Under "Options", untick "Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply..." or just the next option, "and receive email notifications of replies".

Additionally, you have to "unwatch" each individual thread that you're already watching. You can see a list of your watched threads from a link in the top menu under "Forums".

How to turn off alerts?
Click on your username (with the little down-arrow) in the upper, right-ish area of the window. This will show a lot of options including "Alert Preferences" which is the link you want to click. Untick all the kinds of alerts you don't want.

How to access the private forums?

http://forum.veggieviews.com/threads/joining-user-groups-nsfw-mens-womens-health-issues.473/

How to multi-quote?

http://forum.veggieviews.com/threads/how-to-multiquote.615/

I will edit this first post of the thread with updates. Feel free to ask questions in the thread.

btw, I like that everyone can now delete their posts on this site. Funny how we all used to take that function for granted. :p

What about codes for things like spoilers?
I don't think there is currently, but I'm quite hopeful I will be able to add that soon!
Is there any way to change the way we view threads after choosing the settings the first time?
I know this can appear to be a problem with "watched threads". If initially your settings were set to by default watch threads you start or post in, and then later change the setting, you will still be watching the threads you are already watching at that point...... So you have to manually go and "unwatch" those threads. Is that what you meant? Other settings should be a simple matter of turning on and off I think.

Is there a way to multi quote? I seem only be able to multi quote the posts that are all on the same page. I can't multi quote posts that appear on different pages.

In case anyone else is as stupid as me and can't figure out to quote (I just did). You press "Reply" on the person you want to quote. Noone told me how its just luck I figured it out haha.

I like the theme BTW, prefer the green one but I want to keep it different to veggieboards so I dont get confused

I really dislike the Spoiler function as there is a recent trend of people overusing it when they want to post anything remotely embarrassing or TMI. You know that people are going to click on the Spoiler button out of sheer curiosity, so why bother. Is it for attention?

Imho, the Spoiler function should be used for it's intended purpose, for hiding spoilers!

Anyway, I know a lot of people will want the Spoiler function back, so I will not officially protest it's implementation, but I do not miss it at present, and I will enjoy the time that is it not available. :p

Reactions: Second Summer
Hmm I think it has a valid use outside of spoilers. Sometimes it is for attention but it can also be to save people from seeing something they don't want to, like if you say "WARNING: picture of a spider" and then put the pic in spoilers.

Hmm I think it has a valid use outside of spoilers. Sometimes it is for attention but it can also be to save people from seeing something they don't want to, like if you say "WARNING: picture of a spider" and then put the pic in spoilers.

I'm cool with it for that purpose, with proper warning of what it is. Just a lone spoiler tag makes for people clicking them out of curiosity. For a while, I completely stopped clicking spoiler tags...I was just annoyed with seeing them on ever other post!

This is an absolutely wonderful, essential use of spoiler tags.

--An Arachnophobe

Ive never seen a spoiler tag used like that. On another forum I post on when people want to say something gross/rude/insulting/spoilery they write in a really small font which is really really annoying. Id rather people use spoilers than do that.

Some forums I am on write in the same colour as the background, so that you have to select the text to read it. I agree that I'd rather see the spoiler tag instead of, but I just think people tend to spoilerize(is that a word?) too much irrelevant stuff that would never bother me to begin with.

But that's me...

Also, I find that some posters use spoilers to justify posting inappropriate content for said forum. The content is STILL inappropriate... I don't mean NSFW content necessarily, but content that is against forum rules.

The only time spoiler tags really bother me is when people insert entire posts into them without even a mention as to what's in there, so you end up clicking the spoiler button just to see what the heck it is. There was a thread on another forum where people were chatting back and forth completely in spoiler tags and it drove me nuts. :p

Reactions: Mel
As someone who sometimes browses forums while on break at work, I really appreciate spoilers. Content in spoilers is often inappropriate for viewing on my work computer, so I don't click on them then.
I also appreciate when people post gross-to-some-people content in spoilers. I'm a bit squeamish about a few things and prefer not to stumble across something that is going to put me off my lunch.

I would like to see spoilers back. People will post that sort of thing eventually, anyway, it would be nice to have the option to put it in spoilers.

(Otherwise I end up having to put someone on ignore, if they post a lot of things like that.)

Also, if we end up talking about the plots of current tv shows, spoiler tags are useful there.

I really dislike the Spoiler function as there is a recent trend of people overusing it when they want to post anything remotely embarrassing or TMI. You know that people are going to click on the Spoiler button out of sheer curiosity, so why bother. Is it for attention?

Imho, the Spoiler function should be used for it's intended purpose, for hiding spoilers!

Anyway, I know a lot of people will want the Spoiler function back, so I will not officially protest it's implementation, but I do not miss it at present, and I will enjoy the time that is it not available. :p

That's why I wanted it, to hide spoilers for things like shows/movies. I was going to start a Game of Thrones thread yesterday but didn't know if there was a spoiler code, so I decided to wait.

That's why I wanted it, to hide spoilers for things like shows/movies. I was going to start a Game of Thrones thread yesterday but didn't know if there was a spoiler code, so I decided to wait.

Well that would be for it's intended purpose. :)

Yes spoiler tags please. I want to chat about movies and tv shows without revealing too much info and ruining the plots for those who have not seen those movies/tv shows yet.

I also wanted to post something yesterday in the gripe thread that was a pretty disgusting medical issue , but I didn't want to gross anyone out. :(

I understand the overuse of them because some people tend to get "spoiler tag" happy and go a little nuts so that can be annoying. I do appreciate when people put incredibly long posts in spoilers though, especially the ones that are so long that they take up almost an entire page! I'd like to be spared reading and scrolling through a gigantic wall of text if I'm not interested in the content.