The Unpalatable Truth About Quinoa

Pickle Juice

Reaction score
Vegan bashing article here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/16/vegans-stomach-unpalatable-truth-quinoa

and a nice rebuttal here: http://bearwitnesspictures.blogspot.ca/2012/11/an-open-letter-to-npr-regarding-quinoa.html

Personally, I am too poor to buy quinoa. An equal volume of rice costs me $1.49, compared to $7.99 for quinoa. I also don't like the idea that quinoa is superior because it contains all the essential amino acids and is therefore an excellent substitute for meat. I don't need a meat sub for my protein needs. I don't worry about combining plant foods for complete protein anyway. That kind of thinking was debunked a long time ago.

Reactions: thefadedone
I would still buy quinoa. If I could afford it, that is!! It's too expensive for me. Red Rice is pretty high in protein too, and waaay cheaper.

I buy it sometimes and would buy more if not for the price. I think it's more filling than rice though I love brown rice too.

I find it quite affordable as a little goes a long way. It puffs up when cooked and I usually end up with more of it than I planned on cooking. And I love it. It is like a proteiny rice for me and I can do so many things with it. I always have a big vat of it.

I love how the Guardian article assumes that quinoa is soley consumed by vegans. :rolleyes: As if its off-limits to omnis or someting. I guess us hardcore extremist vegan hippies make great scapegoats, right?

OT, quinoa is okay. I don't eat it regularly. IMO There are much more harmful plant-based products farmed for food such as palm oil that the news media conveinently doesn't report much about, probably because its found in most processed foods. Of course animal products are extremely harmful to the environment (and the animals, obviously), but again it is easier to point fingers at vegans and their fancy quinoa than it is to face the cruel facts about the SAD.

I would still buy quinoa. If I could afford it, that is!! It's too expensive for me. Red Rice is pretty high in protein too, and waaay cheaper.
And red rice was proven in a study to lower cholesterol. :)

But I love quinoa and eat it all the time. I seem to eat less than I do rice, so maybe it isn't as expensive as it appears to me to be. :)

An omni "friend" lectured me about this. When I pointed out that omnis probably eat more quinoa than vegans do, she insisted that vegans have to adhere to every moral and ethical code there is (re: food), while omnis don't need to follow ANY morals or ethics.

This is the same "friend" who has told me I'm a hypocrite for eating faux meats and vegan cheese. She claims to only eat "local," yet eats convenience foods and fast foods that definitely do not originate anywhere near her.

I put her on my FB list of people who are not allowed to see any non-public posts I make, or any pictures or other info on my profile. I also hid her from my newsfeed. **** that *****.

Reminds me of a friend years ago who lectured me on my non-leather shoes that were evidently made in a sweatshop, saying the sweatshop should bother me more than the leather. Yet she is an admitted shopping addict who has all kinds of things likely made in a sweatshop. I guess it's okay if you're not veg*n.

Not that I think sweatshops are okay. It's just my priorities are the animals who have no control in this human-centered world, so I didn't think to check beyond if the shoes were leather or not. Of course I now no longer buy said brand because they worship Michael Vick. :D

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
This is priceless:
Soya, a foodstuff beloved of the vegan lobby as an alternative to dairy products, is another problematic import, one that drives environmental destruction [see footnote]. Embarrassingly, for those who portray it as a progressive alternative to planet-destroying meat, soya production is now one of the two main causes of deforestation in South America, along with cattle ranching, where vast expanses of forest and grassland have been felled to make way for huge plantations.[/QUOTE]

This footnote was appended on 17 January 2013. To clarify: while soya is found in a variety of health products, the majority of production - 97% according to the UN report of 2006 - is used for animal feed.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reactions: mary1
I've eaten quinoa a couple of times. Didn't care for it much.

An omni "friend" lectured me about this. When I pointed out that omnis probably eat more quinoa than vegans do, she insisted that vegans have to adhere to every moral and ethical code there is (re: food), while omnis don't need to follow ANY morals or ethics.

Omnis seem to hold vegans to a higher standard for some reason. Like, they'll go on about how the cocoa for that vegan chocolate bar was probably harvested by orphans, and themselves continue eating chocolate that was most definitely harvested by orphans, but because you're a vegan you need to follow better rules, since you bother to follow rules at all. I'm not sure whether to be offended or flattered by the weird-pedestal thing.

Reactions: Freesia