The Top Vegan Doughnut Shops in the States

There was this recipe on PETA's website for baked doughnuts which I might try but I would still love if you had something tried and tested to share!

Baked Vegan Doughnuts
Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. (scant) nutmeg
1 dash cinnamon

Wet Ingredients:
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Egg replacer for 1 egg (or 2 Tbsp. cinnamon apple sauce)
¼ cup vegan margarine

• Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
  • In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients with a whisk to mix thoroughly. Combine the wet ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat and mix until the margarine is just melted. This mixture should be just slightly warm to the touch.
  • Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until just combined. It should form a very soft dough.
  • Using a tablespoon, scoop dough into an ungreased nonstick doughnut pan. Smooth out the top of each dough with your fingers―this will make for more even, prettier doughnuts but isn’t crucial.
  • Bake for 12 minutes. They should not be browned on top, but a toothpick will come out clean. Invert the hot pan over a cutting board or cooling rack to release the doughnuts. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
  • Top with a glaze, melted chocolate, and/or sprinkles if desired.

My recipe is similar to this one, but I combine baking soda, apple cider vinegar and soy milk to make the doughnut fluffy. I read somewhere that this combo gives the effect of baking powder. I have tried apple sauce as an egg replacer before, but not with the best results.

My recipe is similar to this one, but I combine baking soda, apple cider vinegar and soy milk to make the doughnut fluffy. I read somewhere that this combo gives the effect of baking powder. I have tried apple sauce as an egg replacer before, but not with the best results.

That's good to know about that trick to give it the fluffy texture. I've used apple sauce to replace eggs in cakes, muffins and cupcakes - but never thought about it in a doughnut capacity. If it doesn't seem to work too well though, that's useful advice too!

A question. I noticed that there was no mention of yeast in the recipe. Couldn't yeast be in there for fluffiness? Or is yeast off the table vegan wise?