The Salad Lovers Thread

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Who here besides me is a salad lover? I consider salads to be the ultimate blank canvas of food because there seems to be no limit to the number and type of ingredients that can go into a salad.

Yesterday I bought a salad mix with romaine, carrots, purple cabbage and radishes. I also bought some arugula. After turning up my nose at the idea of arugula as, ahem, elitist, for a long time, I finally broke down and bought some a couple years ago and instantly fell in love with it. I love its peppery bite. It really makes a salad a salad.

An easy way to get your whole grains and omega 3's is to add quinoa and flax to a tossed green salad.

Incidentally, my mother's favorite salad dressing is nothing more than lemon juice and salt. It's vegan and low fat.

I love salads.I just had one last night.It had romaine lettuce,carrots,red cabbage,cucumbers,Bocca chickn pattie and topped it with some Organicville non dairy ranch dressing.

The dressing was a treat I got for myself.But usually I like lemon and olive oil.

Last week when I was at Whole Foods, I bought on impulse a bag of Chia seeds, raw, vegan, gluten-free. I've been adding them to my salads for extra nutritional oomph. I keep the bag in the fridge, although I'm not sure if that's necessary for Chia seeds. Anyway, I recommend adding Chia seeds to salads. They have lots of protein and are a good source of all the omegas.

I'm a salad lover. Any kind of food that is served with a vinagrette sauce is more or less what I call a salad.

My favourite leaf salad is rocket/arugala and mesclun. However if you don't get the vinaigrette right, it can ruin the salad. How many times have I been served salads with dissapointing salad dressings !

I've never tasted chia seeds so I'll have to see whether I can find them at the local organic store. It is always best to keep seeds and nuts in the fridge.

I just had a big salad for lunch with bell peppers, sweetcorn, cucumber, tomatoes, lettuce and red onion with vegan mayo and jalapeno sauce.:lick: I would have added some nuts if I had any in the house.:D

I read online about a frugal idea for a vinaigrette using the end of a raspberry jam jar and just adding oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and shaking it all together.

I love salads with avocado, strawberries & walnuts. I saw that combination in a picture once & was intrigued (also sceptical) but the flavours go so nicely together.

I like that with spinach, peppers, cucumber & tomatoes most.

Reactions: PTree15
I just had a big salad for lunch with bell peppers, sweetcorn, cucumber, tomatoes, lettuce and red onion with vegan mayo and jalapeno sauce.:lick: I would have added some nuts if I had any in the house.:D

I read online about a frugal idea for a vinaigrette using the end of a raspberry jam jar and just adding oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and shaking it all together.

You bumped my thread! Thank you! :D

For years I've done the same frugal bit with Dijon mustard. I'd add oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder and ginger powder to the last little bit of mustard and shake the jar. Voila! Dijon vinaigrette!

Reactions: ledboots
Vegan Salad Recipes | Yummly There are some nice recipes on here.

The Best Pasta Salad Recipe | Yummly

603_1_1350912852_med_zps254bd4b3.jpg

You bumped my thread! Thank you! :D

For years I've done the same frugal bit with Dijon mustard. I'd add oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder and ginger powder to the last little bit of mustard and shake the jar. Voila! Dijon vinaigrette!
I'm going to try this. What a great idea.

Reactions: Amy SF
I love spinach salads. I love them with especially strawberries, walnuts, mushrooms and a little bit of red onion. Add a balsamic vinaigrette, and I'm in heaven!

On lettuce salads, I love lots of the typical salad veggies with the addition of pickled beets and edamame.

Why anyone would want to add meat or cheese to salad seems very foreign to me now!

I love spinach salads. I love them with especially strawberries, walnuts, mushrooms and a little bit of red onion. Add a balsamic vinaigrette, and I'm in heaven!

On lettuce salads, I love lots of the typical salad veggies with the addition of pickled beets and edamame.

Why anyone would want to add meat or cheese to salad seems very foreign to me now!

Because a lot of omnis can't imagine a world in which meat and/or cheese isn't in absolutely every dish. :rolleyes: For example, I've experienced multiple workplace lunches where not only was there no veg*an entree, but even the salad was off limits to me because it had chicken or bacon in it. :rolleyes: And yes, I heard the dreaded "You can always pick the meat out."

I know. I used to think a salad without blue cheese dressing wasn't worth eating. Now I hate to sit at a table with blue cheese dressing anywhere nearby - it smells really bad. :ttth:

Reactions: thefadedone
I know. I used to think a salad without blue cheese dressing wasn't worth eating. Now I hate to sit at a table with blue cheese dressing anywhere nearby - it smells really bad. :ttth:

Up until the past year or so I never understood why vegans complained about the smell of cheese. I still didn't mind it and even found it appealing at times. Now the smell of cheese totally nauseates me. I find it incredibly overwhelming and disgusting. :yuck:

I go nuts for a good salad bar. I wish I lived near a Sweet Tomatoes restaurant. I love a huge variety of things on my salad.

Reactions: Poppy
One thing I generally DON'T put in my salads are croutons. I can never understand why anyone would want soggy bread in their salad. But to each their own. :shrug:

I like salads! I like watercress instead of lettuce.

My mom used to buy watercress when we were kids, and I know I liked it, but I don’t remember the last time I had any. I just don’t see it in the stores or mentioned on restaurant menus these days. :(

:( Yea it can be hard to find. Only one grocery store nearby sells it where I live.

Is watercress really bitter? I only tried it once.
I do love salads. Beans or nuts, beets, olives, carrots, cukes, peas, dried cranberries, apples, orange segments. I've recently made a tahini dressing I like, other than that I like balsamic vinegrette.

Reactions: Amy SF and KLS52