The Resurrection of the Dead

rogerjolly

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I would like to suggest that there should be an archive system whereby threads which have had no new contributions in, say, the last year could be consigned.

Recently there have been several cases of very old threads being responded to most frequently by absolute newbies to the forum. It makes me ponder the thought that this might be a new tactic devised by trolls……..

An extreme example is “Human Trafficking-3 Woman Kept As Slaves in London” which had a short life as a news story in November 2013. Yesterday, after seven years in the grave, it was responded to. Silly, silly, silly or what?

Sure, there will be loads of perennial topics that might have different slants to them but surely these would be best presented in entirely new threads with a freshness to them. :)

Roger.

• 👍
Reactions: KLS52 and Lou

Indian Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
It might be a way to prevent spammers from exploiting old threads as targets for posting their links, but it will also block legitimate and useful posts. As an example, some years ago someone started a thread asking about what Leslie Cross died from:
Question How did Leslie Cross die?

A strange thing to ask about, but a few years later Mr Cross' son comes along and posts a reply!

So my opinion is that the disadvantages of locking old threads outweigh the benefits.

• 👍
  • ✅
Reactions: KLS52 and shyvas

silva

Master
Supporter
Reaction score
It might be a way to prevent spammers from exploiting old threads as targets for posting their links, but it will also block legitimate and useful posts. As an example, some years ago someone started a thread asking about what Leslie Cross died from:
Question How did Leslie Cross die?

A strange thing to ask about, but a few years later Mr Cross' son comes along and posts a reply!

So my opinion is that the disadvantages of locking old threads outweigh the benefits.
That was truly exceptional!

• 👍
Reactions: KLS52

beforewisdom

Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Back when web boards were still the thing, there were anal retentive moderators (the old thePPK forum for example ) who would scold people for starting a new thread on subject X when existing threads, no matter how old, on subject X existed.

It might be that those posters thought they were just being good web citizens.

Lou

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Back when web boards were still the thing, there were anal retentive moderators (the old thePPK forum for example ) who would scold people for starting a new thread on subject X when existing threads, no matter how old, on subject X existed.

It might be that those posters thought they were just being good web citizens.
I check to see if there is a similar thread before I make a new one.

But that bugs me is that someone new comes along and answers a question that was posted not only a long time ago but by a member who no longer is active.

Yes. sometimes the question might have universal appeal. but if the question is somewhat specific to the original poster and then the newbie spends a lot of time answering the question.... well i feel like the newbie is just wasting time and effort.

Forest Nymph

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I personally am ambivalent about necro threads because I do think people change, becoming smarter, more mature, or educated, or more sober with time. Ha ha. So establishing everyone's history from five to ten years ago or even six months ago can give a weird impression of a person. It also appeals to stalkers (though I don't see that as an issue on a veg forum like I might suspect in other places).

On the other hand, necro threads can supply important information to the current conversation. Even very specific questions may serve someone.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lou Grateful Dead Deodorant Products 1
vishvadave Is a Mushroom still Vegan-Grown on Meat/Dead Animal ? General 6
Amy SF Jeffrey Epstein Found Dead In Apparent Suicide Ahead Of Child Sex Abuse Trial General Discussion 4
shyvas News Uterus Transplant/Dead Donor-World's 1st Baby Health & Body 15
spaceboy Any vegan musicians? let's start a band. i'm dead serious. General 1
Blues French-vegan-faces-terror-charge-over-dead-butcher-comment Animals 2
shyvas News Animal Activist Found Dead - Kenya Animals 0
shyvas UK Lynx Escaped From Zoo - Shot Dead Animals In The News 0
shyvas UK 22 Dead - Manchester Terror Attack General Discussion 41
robert99 'Stabbed and stabbed' - one accountant dead, two injured Other Countries 0
shyvas News Police Officers Shot Dead - Baton Rouge General Discussion 4
Indian Summer News 84 dead in Bastille Day terror attack (Nice, France) General Discussion 30
shyvas Gorilla Shot Dead Zoo - US Animals In The News 31
Amy SF News Yellowstone Tourists Put Bison Calf In Car, Now It's Dead Animals In The News 3
Joe Birthdays of the Dead Relationships 5
J TV & Film Ash vs Evil Dead Media & Entertainment 125
shyvas Psychology The Downsides of Being Drop Dead Gorgeous Social Sciences & Humanities 13
das_nut TV & Film Robin Williams dead in possible suicide Media & Entertainment 27
Trinity Grey wolf appears for first time in 89 years – and is shot dead Animals In The News 6
shyvas Runaway Rhea Shot Dead Animals In The News 1
beancounter The PC isn't dead or dying Science & Technology 13
Snowcone Free copy of Left 4 Dead 2 on Steam! Lounge 12
Amy SF Nelson Mandela is dead at 95 Lounge 18
Amy SF Animal Advocacy Animal rights activist an apparent suicide, found dead in car with dozens of dogs Animals 15
Amy SF US 3 people dead, over 280 injured from explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon General Discussion 215
shyvas Grieving Dolphin Unwilling to Part with Dead Calf ! Animals In The News 4
thefadedone TV & Film The Walking Dead Media & Entertainment 1902
shyvas Animal Advocacy 3000 Badgers Will be Shot Dead in the UK Animals 19
das_nut 7 dead, including suspect, at Wisconsin Sikh Temple General Discussion 48
beancounter Sherman Hemsley dead at 74 General Discussion 3
Rosie1 TV & Film America’s sheriff Andy Griffith dead at 86 Media & Entertainment 16
beancounter Rodney King dead at 47 General Discussion 10