TV & Film The Prestige (2006) Major Spoilers!!!

D

Digger

I loved this film and wanted to be able to discuss it without the use of spoiler tags so if you have not yet seen it please do not read this thread! This is your last warning. I highly encourage you to see it as it is a great film, then come back and discuss it with us!

My first question: Do you think that the device Tesla made for Angier made a copy of him that got teleported to the balcony or was the copy the one who got dropped into the tank?

My first question: Do you think that the device Tesla made for Angier made a copy of him that got teleported to the balcony or was the copy the one who got dropped into the tank?
I don't remember it so well anymore, but I think my impression was: the real Angier kept making new and new copies and always killing them into the tank, so just sacrificing a lot of other people than himself.

That was my take as well... the real Angier would have been killed off by the second performance anyway... so the copy from the previous night who teleported onto the balcony would become the one to drop into the tank the following night?

He was killing himself. I think the original stayed there (and dropped into the tank) and the copy was created elsewhere, then the next copy, and the next... But it doesn't really matter.

As I thought of it they were absolutely identical in every way, so it was him regardless of which was the original. That's what I liked about it. He said something about being afraid it was going to be him, but it always was. He had no appreciation for life, even his own, no empathy of what someone else might be going through, even someone he knew as well as himself, while the other men valued the lives of their twins as much as their own.

I think the original stayed there (and dropped into the tank) and the copy was created elsewhere, then the next copy, and the next...
So the reason he looks so surprised that last night when he is drowning (and wants Borden to save him) is that from his perspective he had successfully teleported to the balcony 99 times in the past, so he thinks something has gone terribly wrong with the trick... even though technically he is a 100th generation copy at that point? I dunno. The more I think about it the more I confuse myself. :p

He had no appreciation for life, even his own, no empathy of what someone else might be going through, even someone he knew as well as himself, while the other men valued the lives of their twins as much as their own.
Yeah, he could have just used the machine once to make a duplicate of himself then perform the trick the same way Borden did it... but then he wouldn't be outdoing Borden he would only be copying him which wasn't enough for Angier. He had to 'get his hands dirty'.

Yeah when thinking about it, I think kazyeeqen's account makes more sense than what I said my impression was. Angier is standing on the stage, and then a copy of him is created on the balcony -- original Angier dies under the stage, and the copy lives on.

Because it wouldn't make sense that the Angier on the stage is teleported on to the balcony and then a copy of him is created where he was standing.

And since the copy shares the personality of the original Angier from the stage, he shares all the knowledge about how this effect works, all the same interest in performing magic tricks etc., and therefore the copy wants to do exactly the same thing as the original Angier did: kill himself and create another copy.

Under this account, Angier isn't selfish, since he is always only killing himself.

Anyway, like I said in the other thread, I consider this Nolan's best, which also means I consider it better than Inception which usually gets all the praise.

Anyway, like I said in the other thread, I consider this Nolan's best, which also means I consider it better than Inception which usually gets all the praise.
I think this is Nolan's best also. It doesn't have all the fanfare and glitz but it's a great film with great acting and it really makes you think.