The ominous flu shot/vaccine.

Where I work, I am required to get a flu vaccine yearly, luckily they have the vegan friendly version of it, or atleast as vegan friendly as we can expect any medication approved for use in the US to be. I am no fan of Big Pharma, but that is due to corporate greed not any concern over the concept of vaccines. For those trying to say that vaccines are bad because they contain something that may cause anaphylaxis in some people (those people should already be aware of such food allergies) is being very disingenuous, and probably represents more than one logical fallacy all on its own.

Oh and if anyone comes in here and tries to fly that "vaccine autism" crap... Well atleast we will know right off the bat that they didn't do any research and trust a group of people who jumped on a band wagon started by a crooked "scientist" who is now not doing science anymore....

And the flu vaccine does not make you sick. People who complain about getting the flu three days after they get the shot were already exposed. It takes two weeks after the shot for it to take effect. And yes, you can get the flu even if you’re vaccinated but it’s due to a strain that isn’t covered in the vaccine. The vaccine they give out at our Health Department is a quadrivalent and contains the four strains believed to be the most likely to circulate in any given flu season.

And the flu vaccine does not make you sick. People who complain about getting the flu three days after they get the shot were already exposed. It takes two weeks after the shot for it to take effect. And yes, you can get the flu even if you’re vaccinated but it’s due to a strain that isn’t covered in the vaccine. The vaccine they give out at our Health Department is a quadrivalent and contains the four strains believed to be the most likely to circulate in any given flu season.

That's also the reason why one should get vaccinated in October.

Or, you can not take the risk of getting the flu (sorry - very real risk) or Guillian Barre Syndrome and never get the flu. The flu vaccine literally have the lowest efficacy rate of all. I've seen it as low as 15%, but even if it's up around 40%, It's not worth the risk from any logical standpoint.

Reactions: Emma JC
Guys, check out the video of Kurzgesagt on vaccines. While I'm not satisfied with their stance on veganism, they're too soft :p, they helped me change my mind on vaccines. I come originally from a family of anti-vaxxers.

Check it out here:

Reactions: Second Summer
Just going to share a few links to peer-reviewed studies. There is literally no medical procedure that is risk-free, and the risks should be weighed with the benefits. If you want to sign up for something that carries risks but has literally the lowest efficacy rate of pretty much anything that could be injected into your body, be my guest. But when I'm old and my immune system is perhaps compromised, they'll be giving me a flu shot over my dead body. Most people who die from the flu had other complications to begin with and any kind of illness such as a simple cold would have pushed them over the edge. Sorry for the long post, but this stuff gets to me. Cheers.

Among children there was an increase in the hazard of ARI caused by non-influenza respiratory pathogens post-influenza vaccination compared to unvaccinated children during the same period.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...PfXUPigfMDLoNRCzW4pE5nNabnOi6RXvA67b9YvN01-20

Increased risk of noninfluenza respiratory virus infections associated with receipt of inactivated influenza vaccine.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...E9T3R6X23slyqtDmIrdciEI1IOmPBfrWH4421ycrrGSHc

Vaccine-induced anti-HA2 antibodies promote virus fusion and enhance influenza virus respiratory disease.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23986398/?i=5&from=/27031847/related&fbclid=IwAR09UBrwxpZTu1AfC3uf1ut0V_Pm6Qbl1hdAWS51fUUPGdbV2bg0959XuaA

Those who get the flu vaccine at higher risk for illness -
Natural T Cell-mediated Protection against Seasonal and Pandemic Influenza. Results of the Flu Watch Cohort Study.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...u41q0gqy_UMOme6eh1zCnndvZZ3fM1M_gS0DAafvmKtLc

Repeated flu shots may blunt vaccine effectiveness:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...t8KnHhNFARSfjNqdrKvF-OO_5sqaXID9CO60uXEwpm5Ew

Subacute thyroiditis following seasonal influenza vaccination
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...QA6e9JuIOhvnAhOoYY9eeDYyxeBiD95dtNklJR0ujCYew

Canadian study finds flu shot could increase risk of getting sick
https://globalnews.ca/news/1804162/...u_4NdZFyjgczswDxeDdy53y6VSsrOnxJAxeEP3yOdsZdw

Straight from the CDC - Guillain-Barré syndrome and Flu Vaccine
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/guillainbarre.htm?CDC_AA_refVal=https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/guillainbarre.htm

Impact of Influenza Vaccination on Seasonal Mortality in the US Elderly Population
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja...npvJAjyWb8xGFy2xzt7ccsukGjQBG1I0KXAlecQ--H0lE

No evidence of decreased risk for those who got a flu shot -
Influenza vaccination and risk of community-acquired pneumonia in immunocompetent elderly people: a population-based, nested case-control study.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...ei_GS6kgHv8ZuKIwW0NTwEKqF-6zJiPeEnDpz1aUhZbHY

Edmond MB. Mandatory Flu Vaccine for Healthcare Workers: Not Worthwhile. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019;6(4):eek:fy214. Published 2019 Apr 17. doi:10.1093/ofid/ofy214
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6468124/?fbclid=IwAR1RPbGB-NoDKRmRFmdWhOgzTHRp--L7yL-rY9vzFQM_CG-hfNIe3kGkrsI

And vaccines do contain aluminum (easily verified by reading the insert). Aluminum accumulated in the brain, and vaccines bypass the blood-brain barrier. Aluminum toxicity is linked with Alzerimers:
https://www.hippocraticpost.com/men...5wOGUuVocamws0LjqUeBE9aH8YBoLZF7yGZ3xvDFEMJiA

To anyone who says "they are not safe" I say "prove that they are." Hint - you can't because no safety studies exist. This and all vaccines are pushed through without proper safety studies. It says so right on the insert (which you have to locate yourself b/c despite "informed consent," we are not provided this information). In the USA, this mess is due to the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program passed by Ronald Reagan, which made relieved all vaccine mfrs of any liability for injuries from vaccines. that's when the # of vaccines given to children went from something you could count on your hand to over 75 by the age of 18. We can agree on the harm that's done by the pharmaceutical industry in other areas (the opioid crisis anyone?), it shouldn't be too difficult to see there's an agenda with this as well. But, they have done a good job with the propaganda and fear mongering. The reality is that most of the diseases vaccines were created for were declined before the vaccines were invented, because sanitation and access to clean water. As for polio, it was a man-made disease and re-classified. You have to do your own research because doctors are not taught about the risks of vaccines in medical school (ask any doctor yourself). They are taught how to administer them and sell them.

I have more links but I think this is good for now. I'm happy to stay focused on veganism. But really, I'm certainly not going to take medical advise from Penn & Teller.

Last edited:
This whole thread reminds me of the number of collectivists (ie: blind authority followers/follow the herd mentality) people in societies that don't seem to be able to think through information given to them and are just as easily persuaded to apply the conclusions prepared for them to everyone else.

In my area, around 10 years or so ago, there was a push for water fluoridation. It's industrial waste but marketed as always as helping the community maintain better teeth/less cavities. If someone believes that, FINE, go get what is being offered for free/cheap: the fluoride you think you
need. Use it, give it to your kids, etc. But for goodness sake, don't make everyone use it by giving them no choice. But that is exactly what happened. I asked one lady and all it took for her to be convinced was a doctor's nod of approval. There was substantial resistance but it got pushed through anyway by the dumb as bricks herd. Now, several years later, I'm missing 2 teeth (before I went vegan, in case anyone's wondering) - so uh...why didn't
the magical fluoride work for me?

In the case of vaccines, if you are convinced they work, then get them for yourselves. If you're vaccinated and come into contact with someone who isn't, then how is this a danger to you? Why the f do you think you can force your will onto everyone, and if you DO believe that - then let public records show this, so that people who are forced (physically, economically or otherwise) to be vaccinated and develop conditions due to that can know that you as an individual voting for the collective are at least partially to blame, and partially responsible.

I did have the flu shot two years in a row and got the flu both years. I didnt get the flu prior to taking the shot. They tell you its because of different strains of the flu that the vaccine doesn't cover. I will never have the flu shot again, since stopping I have been fine even through flu season.

Reactions: kelli
I never get a flu shot. Too many scary side effects and I don't believe it works t all. I have had the flu twice b4.I have a very weak immune system. It sux.

• Disagree
Reactions: David3 and Emma JC
Well I just got a text from my DR about a flu vaccination and will be rocking up for one tomorrow .

Reactions: KLS52
The OP's cited article, from Dr. Joseph Mercola, should be viewed with skeptcism. Dr. Joseph Mercola likes to publish dramatically-titled essays claiming that veganism is dangerous - his website filled with such essays (and, yet, he still sells vegan protein powder on his website).

Considering that the American Heart Association, the American Diabetes Association, and even Kaiser Permanente heath insurance have stated that properly-planned vegetarian/vegan diets are healthy, it's hard to take Mercola's drama seriously.

That ol' Penn and Teller video I posted earlier in this thread is now getting more attention. Just saw it got reposted on Digg.

I was pro flu shot two years ago and I still am. I wonder if people have changed their minds, post covid.

A lot of the reasons to get the flu shot are the same ones we have for covid vaccinations - to protect people more vulnerable.

Reactions: David3
I've been getting the flu shot every year since maybe the start, I think the swine flu? Only time I had it was I believe, the beginning of 2018 when just about everyone got sick. I took 4 sick days with a weekend in between, and had a breathing treatment at a very crowded urgent care!
I will be getting one before Oct, and will be wearing a mask

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
I’ve been getting flu shots since I started working at the health department in 2002. I’ve gotten really sick with flu like symptoms only three times despite being vaccinated. I don’t know if it was actual flu. I never had it confirmed.

I think more people than ever are going to get the flu shot this year.
Maybe because more people now understand what is up with vaccines.
And maybe because more people are less willing to believe the vaccine conspiracy theories.
and also maybe because maybe the most rabid Anti-Vaxers are dead from covid. (Sorry!)

Reactions: David3 and Amy SF
I got my flu shot. I took the high dose since I’m over 65. Initially I didn’t want it but it automatically registered me for it, based on age I guess, when I made the appointment online. So I figured what the heck. I did get high dose in 2019.

Reactions: Blues and David3
I got mine a couple of weeks ago. I had a day of vaguely flu-like symptoms about a week later.

I've been getting the flu shot for 5 years now. I've still gotten a flu-like thing a couple of times, but the symptoms were far milder.

Last edited:
  • Friendly