The introductions thread

Hello everyone :) I wanted to join here because I have been vegan for just over a year now and I don't have anyone to talk to about this stuff. I was also diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder, I mention this because it comes into what I am about to say as well. Okay, so my work sent messages to all staff saying they wanted us all to have a Covid jab. So I can't say that I wanted to have it. I said to my line manager can you tell someone from the company I work for to tell me when they want me to have it. I said I don't mind not having it at all. She said she would get back to me but never did. I kept getting messages through my phone notifying there were places free to have it. So I am not someone that wants to be a problem and I hate having to keep contacting people in my job. So I just in the end went and had the first jab the other day. afterwards I was in floods of tears because it is tested on animals and maybe is not vegan.

Anyway I just thought I would introduce myself. I look forward to reading peoples posts :)

welcome @flourite and congrats on your life decision to be vegan

One of then tenets of veganism is as far as is possible and practicable

"Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

I would conclude that you should allow yourself some leeway in this and not be too sad or too anxious about it. I would take a few moments and thank the animals that were sacrificed and picture a world in which this is completely unnecessary and obsolete.

You are welcome here and we look forward to your contributions.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Hi everyone, my name is Nicole and this will be my first day going vegan. I started by going to get my daily iced coffee from Dunkin, and I wanted to triple check that my order was vegan. It is an iced coffee with almond milk, coconut flavor shot, and liquid cane sugar. Please let me know if any of those ingredients are not vegan! I tried to research new coffee order options and will be trying them this week. thanks :)

So I just in the end went and had the first jab the other day. afterwards I was in floods of tears because it is tested on animals and maybe is not vegan.
Don't worry about it! I think actually most of the regular members here plan to get the vaccine even though it's not vegan, for the reason Emma JC described. There are some products like vaccines and certain medications that just don't have a vegan alternative. Personally, I make a distinction between vegan products and the products that I believe it's permissible for me to use while still identifying as a vegan - these two groups of products are not identical, and that's OK.

Hi everyone, my name is Nicole and this will be my first day going vegan. I started by going to get my daily iced coffee from Dunkin, and I wanted to triple check that my order was vegan. It is an iced coffee with almond milk, coconut flavor shot, and liquid cane sugar. Please let me know if any of those ingredients are not vegan! I tried to research new coffee order options and will be trying them this week. thanks :)
It's a start! What are you going to do next? :)

welcome to the forum Nicole

Sounds like a good start and we look forward to sharing your journey with you.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
welcome @flourite and congrats on your life decision to be vegan

One of then tenets of veganism is as far as is possible and practicable

"Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

I would conclude that you should allow yourself some leeway in this and not be too sad or too anxious about it. I would take a few moments and thank the animals that were sacrificed and picture a world in which this is completely unnecessary and obsolete.

You are welcome here and we look forward to your contributions.

Emma JC
Thank you Emma JC : )

Don't worry about it! I think actually most of the regular members here plan to get the vaccine even though it's not vegan, for the reason Emma JC described. There are some products like vaccines and certain medications that just don't have a vegan alternative. Personally, I make a distinction between vegan products and the products that I believe it's permissible for me to use while still identifying as a vegan - these two groups of products are not identical, and that's OK.
Thank you Indian Summer : )

Hi my name is Suzanara, I am from Peterborough in the UK and I am 54. I’ve been vegan for 8 years and was vegetarian before that. I live with my partner who is a meat eater bur we cook our own food and have our own fridges. He is very supportive and makes me treats occasionally the last one being an amazing millionaires shortbread with condensed milk from Waitrose. He constantly sticks up for me in restaurants and gets upset if I don’t have much choice. My son is a meat eater too but is an adult and makes his own food. He likes to treat me with sweets and vegan chocolates. This Christmas I had a box of twilight bars from him, if you haven’t tried them they are like Mars bars only better. I am on steroids (and other meds) for my severe rheumatoid arthritis so have put on weight over the years....or maybe it’s all the treats.
I have lots of hobbies, my current obsession is needlefelting which I do with acrylic felt. I like to make flowers and brooches and have just started experimenting with 2d pictures in felt. I also like painting and repurposing my partners sardine tins into mini shrines. I would love to talk to other creative people especially needle felters as it’s quite a lonely niche. My other interests include digital art, I am learning how to use Procreate and affinity designer(like Adobe illustrator) but am very much the amatour at the moment.
I am not getting out much with COVID as all the immune suppressants I am on make me cev, my only exercise is a walk a day with my son and his cockapoo who is a lovely slightly mad dog. I am learning to use Zoom to keep up with friends and do online classes. Nice to find this forum which I found by googling. Look forward to getting to know some new people. Below are some of my flowers

90428686-F96E-4548-8714-7F1D426BB02C.jpeg

Welcome @Suzanara your flowers are Lovely!!
My creativity is mostly with growing flowers...
Hope that you enjoy interacting with the people here, looking forward to seeing more of your creations...

Reactions: Emma JC and Brian W
Hi my name is Suzanara, I am from Peterborough in the UK and I am 54. I’ve been vegan for 8 years and was vegetarian before that. I live with my partner who is a meat eater bur we cook our own food and have our own fridges. He is very supportive and makes me treats occasionally the last one being an amazing millionaires shortbread with condensed milk from Waitrose. He constantly sticks up for me in restaurants and gets upset if I don’t have much choice. My son is a meat eater too but is an adult and makes his own food. He likes to treat me with sweets and vegan chocolates. This Christmas I had a box of twilight bars from him, if you haven’t tried them they are like Mars bars only better. I am on steroids (and other meds) for my severe rheumatoid arthritis so have put on weight over the years....or maybe it’s all the treats.
I have lots of hobbies, my current obsession is needlefelting which I do with acrylic felt. I like to make flowers and brooches and have just started experimenting with 2d pictures in felt. I also like painting and repurposing my partners sardine tins into mini shrines. I would love to talk to other creative people especially needle felters as it’s quite a lonely niche. My other interests include digital art, I am learning how to use Procreate and affinity designer(like Adobe illustrator) but am very much the amatour at the moment.
I am not getting out much with COVID as all the immune suppressants I am on make me cev, my only exercise is a walk a day with my son and his cockapoo who is a lovely slightly mad dog. I am learning to use Zoom to keep up with friends and do online classes. Nice to find this forum which I found by googling. Look forward to getting to know some new people. Below are some of my flowers
Hi, welcome to Vegan Forum. My wife (who I refer to as M on the forum) is a big needlefelter herself. The last thing she made was a beautiful doll reading a book which we sent to my mum as a Christmas present. Everybody in her home loved it. These flowers are beautiful. I love the way you have faded the colours together in the top one.

This photo is a bit blurry but you can get the idea.

P1017767.JPG

Welcome @Suzanara your flowers are Lovely!!
My creativity is mostly with growing flowers...
Hope that you enjoy interacting with the people here, looking forward to seeing more of your creations...
Thankyou, I was born with brown thumbs, the only thing I don’t kill is aloe Vera!!!
Hi, welcome to Vegan Forum. My wife (who I refer to as M on the forum) is a big needlefelter herself. The last thing she made was a beautiful doll reading a book which we sent to my mum as a Christmas present. Everybody in her home loved it. These flowers are beautiful. I love the way you have faded the colours together in the top one.

This photo is a bit blurry but you can get the idea.

View attachment 23760

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52