The "Innocence of Muslims" movie and the embassy attacks

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The story of the Muhammed movie which sparked deadly protests in Libya and Egypt gets weirder. The actors who appeared in it had no idea they were starring in anti-Islam propaganda which depicts Muhammed as a child molester and thug. They were deceived by the film's director, believing they were appearing in a film about the life of a generic Egyptian 2,000 years ago.
http://gawker.com/5942748/it-makes-...e-was-deceived-had-no-idea-it-was-about-islam

"The entire cast and crew are extremely upset and feel taken advantage of by the producer. We are 100% not behind this film and were grossly misled about its intent and purpose," the statement says. "We are shocked by the drastic re-writes of the script and lies that were told to all involved. We are deeply saddened by the tragedies that have occurred."
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/1...-others-killed-in-rocket-attack-witness-says/

If they were indeed taken in, then they must feel sickened and horrified.

The guy behind this has blood on his hands. There's no excuse for the violence, but this guy incited it, and it appears he did so quite intentionally and maliciously. I hope that very bad things happen to the coward.

Must feel good being so simple-minded that you can be manipulated that easily.

I am in 2 minds about it. I have seen the movies and they are awful, but I think that some people go from 0 to violent, and I bet a lot of Muslims are extremely unhappy and ashamed when their own people commit acts of violence like that.

Also I don know what kind of morons would make such a film, I think they are largely responsible too.

I may be too cynical or just conspiracy-crazy, but the timing of this makes me wonder. When something like this happens where it's not quite clear who provided the petrol for the fire, the question that comes to mind is: Who benefits from this? But the most recent coverage I read on this suggested the director of the movie was a Coptic Christian of Egyptian origin. Of course, it's not clear whether he's the puppeteer or just another puppet.

I have news for you - most people are manipulated that easily, quite probably including thee and me. They/we just don't realize it/wish to acknowledge it.

I may be too cynical or just conspiracy-crazy, but the timing of this makes me wonder. When something like this happens where it's not quite clear who provided the petrol for the fire, the question that comes to mind is: Who benefits from this? But the most recent coverage I read on this suggested the director of the movie was a Coptic Christian of Egyptian origin. Of course, it's not clear whether he's the puppeteer or just another puppet.

I do think it was done intentionally, with malice aforethought.

Unfortunately it must be considered that they are in a time warp. If you look at how people in Europe behaved in medieval times- beheadings, burnings, executions, etc, well some countries are still in those times, and some countries are still in the Stone Age even, such as some groups of people which have only recently been discovered by the West and are living in the forest still.

I have news for you - most people are manipulated that easily, quite probably including thee and me. They/we just don't realize it/wish to acknowledge it.

Probably, but I'm not gonna kill anyone because they talk smack about my beliefs.

Probably, but I'm not gonna kill anyone because they talk smack about my beliefs.
That may not be what happened in this case tho. Apparently, while there were lots of regular protesters, there was a militia group that took advantage of the situation and launched the attack that led to the death of the embassy personnel. It's thought that the militia group had prepared the attack a long time in advance, and that the film was not their (main) motivation for the attack.

Europeans and people of the West do need to remember that there was a major genocide event in Europe only 60 years ago, so it could conceivably happen again, and there was genocide in the former Yugoslavia as recently as the 1990s. All of us in the world are only a few steps from the cave and we need to remember this before we get on a high horse.

I am in 2 minds about it. I have seen the movies and they are awful, but I think that some people go from 0 to violent, and I bet a lot of Muslims are extremely unhappy and ashamed when their own people commit acts of violence like that.

Also I don know what kind of morons would make such a film, I think they are largely responsible too.
Propaganda and bigotry will always be about...

Terrorism has its roots... in the case of Islamic terrorism, there's undoubtedly links to issues surrounding US (and other) foreign policy....

On a slight tangent, the largest amount of explosives ever found in a person's home was in the home of a BNP (British National Party) member's home. I don't think this made the big news.

Terrorism is never straightforward, the reasons are often complex. Also... It's only apparently "terrorism" if a group (sometimes fighting oppression) kill civilians, or target a location for political gain.... in my view., governments have been doing this since they have existed.

Reactions: cornsail
That may not be what happened in this case tho. Apparently, while there were lots of regular protesters, there was a militia group that took advantage of the situation and launched the attack that led to the death of the embassy personnel. It's thought that the militia group had prepared the attack a long time in advance, and that the film was not their (main) motivation for the attack.

True, but some are saying that the US government are saying that because they dont want to admit that their film played a part in what happened.

Yes but it is a film made in the US, and would be therefore an embarassment to the US government.

Why? They had no control over it's production, or distribution, and it's quite likely that almost no one in the government even knew of it's existence until just before this happened. I don't see any possible reason for them to be embarrassed.

I dont know, perhaps because there are PR battles going on between governments, and to have lunatics like that spend 5 million on such a film is not very good for anyones image, and that film fuelling an attack even more so.

It seems strange to me to say that the film wasnt involved, when there were already riots going on outside the embassy, about the film, and because the embassy has never had much security, there would be no need to plan any attack, anyone could have just stormed in.

I'm confused as to how the suspected producer funded the making of the film. He was just out of jail for fraud when he started making the movie, and had previously been in jail for possession and attempting to produce methamphetamine. So that makes him seem more like a pawn. At this point my suspicion is drawn to the people who distributed the film, and their motives.