Nutrition & Diet The Infernal "Where Do You Get Your Protein" Question

Bite Size Vegan

Vegan Fruit-Ninja
Reaction score
we've all been asked. most of us countless times (at least i have!). no one ever cares about your protein intake until they know you're vegan. then it's suddenly a national health crisis!

so, i made a vid about this and showed myself consuming 5 lbs of lettuce in a sitting. "i got your protein right here!":ms: hehe

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
Well ....... There is protein and then there is protein. All protein is not created equal. Proteins are built up from amino acids, and different proteins have different kinds of amino acids in them. Certain amino acids can be used to create certain other amino acids, so the human body only needs sufficient amounts of about 9 essential amino acids. Different foods have different kinds of proteins. The kinds of proteins found in rice, grains, fruit and vegetables don't have a lot of one of the essential amino acids - lysine, so to get this in reasonable amounts you need to consume legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas, peas, peanuts) and/or e.g. seitan, which is made from wheat gluten, which is a protein that does have a lot of lysine.

So I don't agree with the claim that we get enough protein just as long as we get enough calories, or "just eat a varied diet" (since there is no universally agreed-upon definition of "varied diet".)

We have discussed this previously:
http://forum.veggieviews.com/threads/the-importance-of-legumes.3600/
Protein was also one of the issues underlying the problem here:
http://forum.veggieviews.com/threads/exploring-the-ex-vegan-phenomenon.3606/

(Apologies if I seem a bit arrogant in that first thread - a bit silly since I have occasionally wavered on the issue!)

Good vid! The only issue is that the lettuce focus renforces the idea that vegans only eat salad. That's the other annoying question I heard many times..."what do you eat?"
this is true. wasn't my intention..i just *love* me some lettuce! :broccoli:

In point of fact, I do eat a lot of salads; they're my favorite thing. Not to say that every other veg*an must love and eat a lot of salads, too, but since we're all different, I'm not someone who gets upset if an omni thinks I'd rather eat salad than anything else.

Reactions: Bite Size Vegan
Good vid! The only issue is that the lettuce focus renforces the idea that vegans only eat salad. That's the other annoying question I heard many times..."what do you eat?"

That's almost the first thing everyone says as soon as they hear the word vegan. But, I don't mind educating them on just how much there is to eat. Just about all of them are truly interested and surprised to find out I eat normal things. This often leads to them asking why vegans don't eat certain foods (dairy, eggs, honey, etc) and it gives me the chance to explain the cruelty behind it. I've had a quite a few people stop eating certain foods (especially milk) once they heard what was going on.

So I'm actually happy to hear them ask me that, it opens the door.

That's almost the first thing everyone says as soon as they hear the word vegan. But, I don't mind educating them on just how much there is to eat. Just about all of them are truly interested and surprised to find out I eat normal things. This often leads to them asking why vegans don't eat certain foods (dairy, eggs, honey, etc) and it gives me the chance to explain the cruelty behind it. I've had a quite a few people stop eating certain foods (especially milk) once they heard what was going on.

So I'm actually happy to hear them ask me that, it opens the door.
that is a great opportunity to utilize ;)

bizarro-vegan-gorilla-comics1.gif

Well ....... There is protein and then there is protein. All protein is not created equal. Proteins are built up from amino acids, and different proteins have different kinds of amino acids in them. Certain amino acids can be used to create certain other amino acids, so the human body only needs sufficient amounts of about 9 essential amino acids. Different foods have different kinds of proteins. The kinds of proteins found in rice, grains, fruit and vegetables don't have a lot of one of the essential amino acids - lysine, so to get this in reasonable amounts you need to consume legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas, peas, peanuts) and/or e.g. seitan, which is made from wheat gluten, which is a protein that does have a lot of lysine.

So I don't agree with the claim that we get enough protein just as long as we get enough calories, or "just eat a varied diet" (since there is no universally agreed-upon definition of "varied diet".)

We have discussed this previously:
http://forum.veggieviews.com/threads/the-importance-of-legumes.3600/
Protein was also one of the issues underlying the problem here:
http://forum.veggieviews.com/threads/exploring-the-ex-vegan-phenomenon.3606/

(Apologies if I seem a bit arrogant in that first thread - a bit silly since I have occasionally wavered on the issue!)

Agreed.

Just to add, tofu, pistaschios and quinoa are also decent sources of lysine.

It is protein completion. It does not have to be all in one meal. A varied diet is best. The only complete protein that is vegan sourced is soy products. I am honestly surprised how much my teachers are starting to support a more plant based diet. (I am in college getting a DTR)