The Hippie Movement

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've been watching a two-part BBC documentary called The Summer Of Love: How Hippies Changed The World. (Link.)

The age of hippies, the liberal counterculture, was mostly over before I was even born, but it seems like such a fascinating, monumental and transformational time. Certainly, a lot of great music and ideas came out of it.

One of the interviewees in the documentary said the hippies lost every one of the fights for political ideas that came out of the hippie movement, but that they had much more and lasting success influencing the culture.

Another interviewee said that after taking LSD she could no longer go back to ignoring our 'connectedness' she had seen while tripping. She compared it to mushrooms: On the surface it looks like individual organisms growing out of the soil, but underneath we know there is a fine networks between them.

The documentary focused on the different 'tribes' that together created the hippie movement. The New Left, the Nature Boys, people interested in eastern religions, yoga, meditation, mind altering drugs, Aldous Huxley, Aleister Crowley and their followers ...

Do you think anything similar could happen again? What tribes would form a new hippie movement today?

Do you think anything similar could happen again? What tribes would form a new hippie movement today?

Vegetarians. Parts of the LBGTQ community. Here in the states, Muslims, illegal immigrants, etc. Potentially any group that is outside the "norm" and/or marginalized, but whose basic interests lie in acceptance of diversity rather than the rejection of diversity.

I haven’t read anything yet because I don’t have time right now. I’ll read it later. In the meantime, I’ll post this. I saw it on Buzzfeed last year.

23 Pictures That Show Just How Far Out Hippies Really Were

This is what I posted in the comments section:
My mother, who was most definitely not a hippie, was a 40-something mother of three in the 1960's, and was active in the anti-war movement. She'd take me with her when she'd volunteer on the weekends, and there would often be college-age hippies wherever we went. I was still a child, but I remember that the hippies were really nice to me. They'd tell me how cute I was, hug me, give me snacks, and blank paper and pencils for me to pass the time. I didn't always get the same kind treatment from the non-hippies. I will always have fond memories of the hippie culture of Los Angeles of the 1960’s and early 1970’s for this reason.