The Great British Pudding

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
It feels like we're in the middle of winter and I've dug out my favourite pudding recipes. One of my
favourite hot puddings is a sticky toffee pudding with lots of sauce and cream. Others that come to mind ; treacle pudding, spotted dick, treacle tart, gypsy tart, jam roly poly etc ;

I don't think that I've ever seen hot puddings served anywhere else than in the UK.

There is even the famous Pudding Club that have meetings where members can eat gorgeous puddings.

Are we the only nation that is pudding mad ?

http://www.puddingclub.com/pudding-club-meetings

sticky%252520toffee%255B1%255D.jpg

Reactions: Everleigh
It feels like we're in the middle of winter and I've dug out my favourite pudding recipes. One of my
favourite hot puddings is a sticky toffee pudding with lots of sauce and cream. Others that come to mind ; treacle pudding, spotted dick, treacle tart, gypsy tart, jam roly poly etc ;

I don't think that I've ever seen hot puddings served anywhere else than in the UK.

There is even the famous Pudding Club that have meetings where members can eat gorgeous puddings.

Are we the only nation that is pudding mad ?

http://www.puddingclub.com/pudding-club-meetings

sticky%252520toffee%255B1%255D.jpg
I want some. I had a hot pudding at a fancy restaurant years ago and loved it. I think I will try to make some over the holidays. :)

Hot puddings are also easier to make than cakes/etc in my experience. They're pretty out of fashion in the UK though, possibly because they take hours to cook. I made a gorgeous spotted dick a while ago, even the men in my family who aren't big pudding eaters had seconds and said it was delicious.

I love sticky toffee pudding but I haven't had one in years.

I was talking about school dinner puddings the other day, mmm delicious, much better than the actual dinner.

(My friend used to have a cat called Pudding.<3)

Reactions: thefadedone
:p
I love sticky toffee pudding but I haven't had one in years.

I was talking about school dinner puddings the other day, mmm delicious, much better than the actual dinner.

(My friend used to have a cat called Pudding.<3)

When I was at school,each morning everyone wanted to know what pudding was for dessert. The favourites were jam roly poly and gypsy tart and every time they were on the menu, there was always a buzz until lunch time.

Love the name pudding for a pet.

picHeq1Vn.jpg

Gypsy Tart

So are puddings like flourless cakes? I don't know if we have anything like that in america. I feel so deprived. :cry:

We have bread puddings here which can be made vegan and I think their okay.But I have never tried this type before.

Hot puddings are also easier to make than cakes/etc in my experience. They're pretty out of fashion in the UK though, possibly because they take hours to cook. I made a gorgeous spotted dick a while ago, even the men in my family who aren't big pudding eaters had seconds and said it was delicious.
I want to make this so I can bring it to my cousin's house on thanksgiving and announce I brought a big spotted dick. :D

:p

When I was at school,each morning everyone wanted to know what pudding was for dessert. The favourites were jam roly poly and gypsy tart and every time they were on the menu, there was always a buzz until lunch time.

Love the name pudding for a pet.

picHeq1Vn.jpg

Gypsy Tart
Yum. ↑

I call babies "Puddin'" for a pet name. :)

Does this recipe look ok to you?

285g (10oz) Self-Raising Flour
150g (5oz) Shredded earth balance
150ml (¼ pint) soy Milk
110-160g (4-6oz) Currants or Raisins
85g (3oz) Castor Sugar
1 Lemon, zest only, finely grated
Pinch Salt*
Mix all of the dry ingredients, including the grated lemon zest, together thoroughly*
Add enough milk to produce a soft dough.* Turn out onto a floured surface.
* Roll out the mixture to produce a roll approximately 15cm (6 in) long and 5cm (2 in) in diameter.*

Prepare either a tea towel lightly dusted with flour, or sheet of kitchen foil or a double thickness of greaseproof paper, brushed with melted butter substitute
.* Wrap loosely but securely, leaving enough space for it to rise.*
Tie or seal the ends.*
Place in the steamer and cover tightly.* Steam for 1½ to 2 hours.*
Serve cut into thck slices with hot custard.
Self-raising flour is simply flour with baking powder; make your own by adding 2 level teaspoons of baking powder to every 8oz of flour.

I want to make this so I can bring it to my cousin's house on thanksgiving and announce I brought a big spotted dick. :D
First time I saw someone post about this I wanted to comment so badly but didn't want to come off acting like I was 10 years old, lol. :)

Reactions: thefadedone
That looks really yummy. I actually am a fan of fruitcake, in general. It seems to get a bad rap in the US.
Enntenman's' used to be my favorite. I don't think they make it anymore and it probably isn't vegan anyway.

I think I was brought up with the use of the word 'pudding' to mean any sweet food after the main meal. So even icecream would be pudding.

Me too , I think there's a distinction though between all-puddings and pudding-puddings :p Plus some traditional puddings are savoury: yorkshire pudding, this kind of pudding. :???: British language is a minefield :p

I think I was brought up with the use of the word 'pudding' to mean any sweet food after the main meal. So even icecream would be pudding.

Pudding is afters. Pudding is a dessert. Pudding is also a main or side dish. Pudding ; either hot or cold, sweet or savoury.