The German Federal Inst/Risk Assessment-Veganism

mrvegan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment thoughts on veganism

I’m a vegan of 3.5 years just fyi. I came across this and wanted to get your opinion on it. The US and UK equivalents (i think) have the opposite opinion as far as i know.

Or just Google this: Germany health department vegan
And you can see at the top..

Any thoughts on all of this?

Seems pretty accurate and honest. Perhaps a little too much Cover Your *** (CYA) language - but that is almost expected with government researchers.

Seems pretty accurate and honest. Perhaps a little too much Cover Your *** (CYA) language - but that is almost expected with government researchers.
Hmm. So you agree with this? My family is very much against my vegan lifestyle and of course they sent me this to read.

The German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment thoughts on veganism

I’m a vegan of 3.5 years just fyi. I came across this and wanted to get your opinion on it. The US and UK equivalents (i think) have the opposite opinion as far as i know.

Or just Google this: Germany health department vegan
And you can see at the top..

Any thoughts on all of this?
I have a friend in the UK who is vegetarian, but her daughter has been vegan since birth because she is allergic to dairy and eggs, among other things. The child, who is now 10 years old, is thriving and quite healthy, so I wouldn't agree with the government agency on its recommending against a vegan diet for pregnant people, infants and children.

I love how nonveg*ns are all of sudden nutrition experts when people say they're vegan. And many veg*ns, as evidenced by the survey, are aware of potential deficiencies, such as B12. So they supplement. The iron issue isn't always about what you eat; it's about the ability to absorb it, which some people have issues with. My sister, who is an omni, struggles with iron absorption. Her doctor has told on more than one occasion to eat more dark leafy greens, rather than more meat.

This is a very biased view, that is focused on ethical veganism as opposed to perhaps the wfpb diet, which is vegan whether based on ethics or simply nutrition. It's really annoying to see the possible shortcomings of the "different" diet when not comparing it to the nutritional hazards of the typical diet! :fp:.
I'm not clear about the significance of this agency, but it reminds me of the article written to scare people from "so called" healthy foods. THey'll list things like oatmeal and yogurt as unhealthy, but only when you read the whole thing you find they're speaking of sugared oats and yogurt! This is the same thing- vegans are as subject to nutritional deficiences just like omnis are! After all, vegan only says what people don't eat, not what they do eat.
I would suspect this Risk Assessment study would also study the effects of a typical omni diet, high in cholesterol and low in potassium?

There are certainly many opting for whole plant food diets to circumvent or reverse diseases. Show them studies on wfpb

But really, my suggestion is lay low, and not speak of it if at all possible. Try and stick to health and not ethics when you do

The report uses CYA language notably in a few places.

there are also risks. "Deficiencies in nutrients like vitamin B12 or iron are possible

a purely vegan diet can result in potential health risks, because a plant-based diet makes it more difficult to ensure an adequate supply of some specific nutrients. Alongside vitamin B12, there are, for example, several minerals, certain amino acids and long-chain omega-3 fatty acids that are seen as potentially critical nutrients.

Notice that at no time do they use strong language. they are pretty much just warning of possibilities. Which from my own experience is plainly a smart thing to do. I've met a few vegans who are not aware of what kind of nutrients they may become deficient in*.

I would also like to point out that there are mitigation measures for all those concerns.

"the DGE does not recommend a vegan diet for pregnant or nursing women, infants, children and adolescents".

This is maybe the strongest sentence in the whole report. And although Vegan organizations conclude that the diet is safe for those groups, there is no denying the fact that those are the most vulnerable groups. They need to take the most care. It's probably the DGE's view that there is a lot of risk to those groups and they would rather just avoid it.

The majority of respondents have an awareness of the risks of this special form of diet....The survey highlighted the uniformity of attitudes...

In other words, most vegans know what they are doing.

there is probably no convincing your family

It became apparent during the course of the study that portraying a vegan diet as dangerous or abnormal does hardly reach the target group....
This could include concrete guidelines which vegans can integrate with their nutritional preferences."

So the take-away for your family is that even the DGE thinks telling vegans to stop being vegan isn't going to work. If they are Really concerned, they could just start sending you B12 and iron supplements. Where I live I can have redipacks of fortified soy milk delivered to my door. Is that available where you live. They could buy you a subscription. Ask for the six pack each week. :)

In many studies, some of them in Europe they have found significant percentages of the population to be deficient in B12, Iron, iodine, and vitamin D. The number of people that are deficient is much higher than the percentage of vegans. So... my takeaway is that they should put just as much if not more attention on educating the general population. that could help some vegans too.

Ha! turnabout is fair play. you should start quizzing them on their fiber intake. And D, B, Iodine etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and mrvegan
I would tell them to watch Ellen Fisher on Youtube and various others who are vegan and raise their children vegan - Ellen has 4 vegan from birth children and they eat about as clean as you can - Fizz Family are vegan and have 4 children/3 of which vegan from birth and they do eat a lot of junk alongside their fairly clean meals (chocolate etc) and yet all their children are very healthy although their teenager does have an acne problem which I think may be junk food related.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou