Music The Full National Recording Registry from the Library of Congress

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/nrpb/registry/nrpb-masterlist.html

Not everything on the list is music, but a good bit of it consists of some of the most historically and culturally significant music produced in the United States. It got me thinking: What musical recordings being produced in the current cultural era do you think would end up being chosen for the Registry in a future era? Personally, I haven't the foggiest idea. (Not to mention older recordings that have yet to be chosen for the Registry.)

Discuss.

Last edited:
Ok, without going through that entire list, some of my suggestions might already be on it and some are older, not just anything from now:

Most of these are albums, but some are songs:

Anything by Robert Johnson. Awesome, influential blues guitar player/singer. Eric Clapton did a whole tribute album to him.
Dark Side of the Moon -- Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin IV
Nevermind -- Nirvana
Ten -- Pearl Jame
Master of Puppets -- Metallica
Songs in the Key of Life -- Stevie Wonder
Fragile -- Yes
Born to Run -- Bruce Springsteen
Grace -- Jeff Buckley
The Joshua Tree -- U2
Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble -- Live at Montreux
Purple Rain -- Prince
Quadrophenia -- The Who
The Ramones -- The Ramones
Goodbye Norma Jean -- Elton John
What's Goin' On -- Marvin Gaye
Revolver -- The Beatles
At Folsom Prison -- Johnny Cash
Rocky Mountain High -- John Denver
Aja -- Steely Dan
LA Woman -- The Doors
Star Wars: A New Hope/The Empire Strikes Back -- John Williams

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I considered influence, popularity and the impact they had on me (not really a good criterion, but I still put them down anyway :D)

Reactions: Tom L.
Some of those are already on the list, like Songs in the Key of Life and Nevermind. Born to Run, Aja, Star Wars, Purple Rain... I like the idea of Goodbye Norma Jean. That song changed my life. Before I heard it, I had no use for Marilyn Monroe, but it changed my perspective. I found after I've heard it I could watch her without seeing her as "just a sex object" but as someone who desperately wanted to be seen as a serious actress.

Reactions: PTree15
The ones that made it from PTree15's list:

"The Complete Recordings." Robert Johnson. (1936-1937)

The recordings made by Delta bluesman Robert Johnson in 1936 and 1937 had a significant impact on fellow bluesmen, as well as on such rock musicians as Eric Clapton and Keith Richards. Considered by some to be the "King of the Delta Blues Singers," Johnson's emotive vocals, combined with his varied and masterful guitar playing, continue to influence blues and popular music performers to this day. Selected for the 2003 registry.

"Purple Rain." Prince. (1984)

Prince was already a hit-maker and a critically acclaimed artist when his sixth album, the soundtrack for his 1984 movie debut, launched him into superstardom. Earlier, he had played all the instruments on his records to get the sounds he wanted, but now he led an integrated band of men and women who could realize the dense, ambitious fusion that he sought, blending funk, synth-pop, and soul with guitar-based rock and a lyrical sensibility that mixed the psychedelic and the sensual. Prince experimented throughout the album, dropping the bass line from “When Doves Cry” to fashion a one-of-a-kind sound, and mixing analog and electronic percussion frequently. Portions of “Purple Rain” were recorded live at the First Avenue Club in Prince’s hometown of Minneapolis, and the success of the album served notice that the Twin Cities were a major center for pop music as numerous rock and R&B artists from the region emerged in its wake. Like much of Prince’s other work, “Purple Rain” was provocative and controversial, and some of its most explicit lyrics led directly to the founding of the Parents Music Resource Center. Selected for the 2011 registry.

"Born to Run" (album). Bruce Springsteen. (1975)

Singer and songwriter Bruce Springsteen, whose live performances are renowned for their energy and passion, burst onto the rock scene in the early 1970s, a time when many believed that rock was in need of new lifeblood. Billed early in his career as "the next Bob Dylan," his music evolved into a unique synthesis of early rock and roll, blues, rhythm and blues, folk, gospel, and country. Though "Born to Run" was Springsteen's third LP, it was the first in which he fully realized the sound that would earn him the title "The Boss." Not coincidentally, it was also his first album to feature the revamped lineup of his dynamic E Street Band featuring saxophone player Clarence Clemons, second guitarist "Miami" Steve Van Zandt, organist Danny Federici, pianist Roy Bittan, bassist Garry Tallent, and drummer Max Weinberg. In addition to the title song, the album contains such Springsteen anthems as "Thunder Road," "Backstreets," and "She's the One." Selected for the 2003 registry.

"Ramones." The Ramones. (1976)

Clash cofounder Joe Strummer has stated that the first time he saw The Ramones, the band generated a “white heat” attributable as much to the speed of the songs and volume of the amplifiers as to the fact that “you couldn’t put a cigarette paper between the end of one song and the beginning of the next.” The band’s first album captured the incandescence of guitarist Johnny Ramone’s speedy, no-nonsense guitar work, Dee Dee Ramone’s propulsive bass, and the surfy sonorities of Tommy’s drums. The youthful tone of Joey Ramone’s singing voice was equally influenced by Iggy Pop and bubblegum rock and when combined with the backing vocals and lyrics portraying teen love and anxiety, gave the album a strong pop flavor despite its heavy sound and the disturbing aspects of other songs dealing with drug use, Nazism and male prostitution. Recorded on a miniscule budget with little separation between instruments, few overdubs and no guitar solos, the album is an early example of a do-it-yourself aesthetic that inspired thousands of teens to form bands. The album’s outsized influence has been cited by first-generation British punkers (Strummer, The Sex Pistols, Captain Sensible of the Damned), hardcore bands (Husker Du, Black Flag, The Minutemen), alternative rockers (Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Soundgarden) and post rockers (Sleater Kinney) alike, over more than three decades of punk rock’s history. Selected for the 2012 registry.

"Star Wars" (album). John Williams. (1977)

This soundtrack score has been credited with reviving symphonic film scores in Hollywood motion pictures. The recording was a bestseller, its themes well remembered and often quoted. When the blockbuster motion picture was released in 1977, home video did not exist; hence, it was the soundtrack recording which enabled audiences to evoke images from the film in their living rooms. Selected for the 2004 registry.

"At Folsom Prison" (album). Johnny Cash. (1968)

On this live album, country and rockabilly pioneer Johnny Cash played directly to his "captive" audience with songs about imprisonment, separation, loneliness, salvation, crime, and death. As the concert progresses, artist and audience become collaborators in the enterprise, urging each other to greater levels of enthusiasm and release. At a time of great social upheaval, this album and its 1969 follow-up, "Johnny Cash at San Quentin," showed Cash to be a performer of great compassion, humor, and charisma. Selected for the 2003 registry.

"Aja" (album). Steely Dan. (1977)

"Aja" is an apotheosis of jazz-pop, a seamless fusion of jazz, pop and blues crafted with meticulous precision. Swimming against the tides of then-popular punk rock and disco, Walter Becker and Donald Fagen of Steely Dan created an adult pop album—lyrically cynical and cryptic, melodically rich, and musically dense. The impeccable playing by a number of world-class musicians helped to achieve a musical whole even greater than the sum of its impressive parts. Selected for the 2010 registry.

“What’s Going On” (album). Marvin Gaye. (1971)

A masterful stylist of sophisticated soul, Marvin Gaye’s songs helped promote the Motown sound throughout the 1960s. Many of his vocal collaborations with Tammi Terrell topped the rhythm and blues charts. His 1971 concept album, "What's Going On," explored deeply held spiritual beliefs while offering social commentary on cultural events of the day. This self-written, self-produced concept album was an abrupt departure from previous Motown releases and became a huge commercial success. Selected for the 2003 registry.

"Nevermind" (album). Nirvana. (1991)

This surprising chartbuster from a grunge band from Aberdeen, Washington, brought to the public's attention a new, heavily distorted sound that would catch on and prove an enduring influence in rock. Characterized by raw vocals, driving rhythms and surprising shifts in dynamics, the record resonated with America's youth and climbed to number one on the "Billboard" charts, selling over 10 million copies. Selected for the 2004 registry.

"The Dark Side of the Moon." Pink Floyd. (1973)

“The Dark Side of the Moon” benefits from the fact that Pink Floyd worked out the songs in live performances for months before going into a studio. And when they did, they had some recent technological innovations at their disposal, such as 16-track recorders and synthesizers. Rather than overdoing it, “The Dark Side of the Moon”is an example of brilliant, innovative production in service of the music. The album is notable for the close vocal harmonies of Richard Wright and David Gilmour and for double tracking, both of voices and guitars. More unusual effects include the flanged choir in “Time,” the precisely placed delays in “Us and Them,” and a tape loop at the beginning of “Money” that was so long a microphone stand had to be used to hold it up. Band member Roger Waters interviewed studio staff and others responding to a series of flashcard questions, then used snippets of their answers throughout the album. Befitting its title, the themes of the concept album are dark – madness, violence, greed and the passage of time, culminating in death – as Waters put it, “those fundamental issues of whether the human race is capable of being humane.” Selected for the 2012 registry.

"Songs in the Key of Life" (album). Stevie Wonder. (1976)

In addition to Stevie Wonder's impeccable musicianship, this album features contributions from Nathan Watts (bass), Raymond Pounds (drums), Greg Phillinganes (keyboards), Ben Bridges and Mike Sembello (guitar) and a guest appearance by jazz pianist Herbie Hancock. To produce the album, Wonder and the group worked in the studio relentlessly for two years, occasionally logging sessions of 48 hours in duration. These efforts paid off with a number of excellent jazz, blues and gospel-influenced songs including "I Wish" and "Pastime Paradise." The album also includes the Duke Ellington tribute "Sir Duke," in which Wonder acknowledges his debt to the African-American musical tradition. Selected for the 2005 registry.

Some of those are already on the list, like Songs in the Key of Life and Nevermind. Born to Run, Aja, Star Wars, Purple Rain... I like the idea of Goodbye Norma Jean. That song changed my life. Before I heard it, I had no use for Marilyn Monroe, but it changed my perspective. I found after I've heard it I could watch her without seeing her as "just a sex object" but as someone who desperately wanted to be seen as a serious actress.
Agreed. It had a big impact on me and got me thinking a lot about the culture of fame.

Spang, well done for checking. I was too lazy. :D

I was going to add, actually the entire Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album might be worthy of adding to the Registry, but as I recall, there's some filler on the album that may keep it off the list. :confused: But I do think at least one individual song from the Elton John-Bernie Taupin collaboration should be considered.

I was going to add, actually the entire Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album might be worthy of adding to the Registry, but as I recall, there's some filler on the album that may keep it off the list. :confused: But I do think at least one individual song from the Elton John-Bernie Taupin collaboration should be considered.
Totally agree. I love that album and still listen to it. They were quite a team.

I would add:

Lauryn Hill's The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Eryka Badu's Mama's Gun

The Roots' Undun

N.W.A.'s **** Tha Police

Kanye West's Late Registration

Mos Def's Black on Both Sides

Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth's They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)

Violent Femme's Violent Femmes

Not music:

Tig Notaro's Live

Last edited:
Oooo, some good additions, Spang...and now I just thought of Fear of a Black Planet by Public Enemy.

Also:

Living Colour's Vivid

Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill

I would add these albums:

"John Barleycorn Must Die" by Traffic
"Abbey Road", by The Beatles- also "The White Album"
and maybe "Court And Spark" by Joni Mitchell

Re the Beatles: As much as I love the Beatles, I'm actually not sure they'd add recordings made in another country to the list.

Re the Beatles: As much as I love the Beatles, I'm actually not sure they'd add recordings made in another country to the list.
Nah, Sgt. Pepper is in there; The Who's "My Generation" also.

My suggestions:

"Lola" - The Kinks
"Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1" - The Traveling Wilburys
"Breakfast in America" - Supertramp
"Mothership" - Led Zeppelin

More, of course, I just can't think of 'em all right now.

^^ Good choice! But it's on Led Zeppelin IV. Are they including whole albums or just single songs? Hmmm...

I forgot to include "Who's Next" by The Who.

EDITED TO ADD: I read thru the list- they have both albums and single songs on it. LOTS of good stuff! One of my sisters had Carole King's "Tapestry" album, and I remember "Tom Dooley" by The Kingston Trio, "Crazy" by Patsy Cline, and "Songs In The Key Of Life" by Stevie Wonder.

Last edited:
^^ Good choice! But it's on Led Zeppelin IV. Are they including whole albums or just single songs? Hmmm...

I forgot to include "Who's Next" by The Who.

EDITED TO ADD: I read thru the list- they have both albums and single songs on it. LOTS of good stuff! One of my sisters had Carole King's "Tapestry" album, and I remember "Tom Dooley" by The Kingston Trio, "Crazy" by Patsy Cline, and "Songs In The Key Of Life" by Stevie Wonder.
Tapestry and Songs in the Key of Life are high on my list!