"The Feral Cats of Disneyland"

Spang

Foot Fetisher
Reaction score
The cats—former pets, strays, and other assorted felines roaming Southern California—have been in Disneyland basically since the amusement park opened in 1955. They may have come originally to feast on bits of food left by visitors, but they probably stayed because there remain a limitless number of places to hide and hunt rats. Today you can spot them along the tracks near Main Street Station, or perched on the cliffs of Big Thunder Trail, or lounging around White Water Snacks. Disney didn't tell park visitors about the feral cat colony that came to inhabit the Happiest Place on Earth, but the company quietly instituted a policy of neutering, vaccinating, and tagging all the felines in the Magic Kingdom.
more

Love it.
Practicing TNR with feral cat colonies is the only way to ensure that these cats live long, healthy lives. More people need to realize that the presence of feral cats is a direct result of human interference (failure to sterilize pet cats).
I'm sure most of you all know this, I'm just very passionate about the subject. The cats of the feral colony that we did TNR on lived to be up to 15 years old, amazing if you ask me. I'm sure the Disneyland cats will do just as well.

Last edited:
Love it.
Practicing TNR with feral cat colonies is the only way to ensure that these cats live long, healthy lives. More people need to realize that the presence of feral cats is a direct result of human interference (failure to sterilize pet cats).
I'm sure most of you all know this, I'm just very passionate about the subject. The cats of the feral colony that we did TNR on lived to be up to 15 years old, amazing if you ask me. I'm sure the Disneyland cats will do just as well.
TNR is becoming more common around here, and it sounds like the best solution for a real mess.

I wonder if Disney world in Orlando has cats.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amy SF and Scorpius
I've seen cats at Disneyland numerous times.....I'm not a fan of supporting feral cat colonies as they are destructive to local bird, etc populations.

Of course you're not.
They aren't destructive? Cats may be cute but they are a non-native species and hunt wildlife, most notably wild birds, and that is why environmental groups oppose these sorts of programs (such groups are mentioned in the article).

And what is your plan for the cats?
Bring them to shelters, try to socialize and if all else fails humanely euthanize. No matter what you do animals are doing to die, its just a matter of which ones, personally I think saving wildlife is better because cats will likely terrorize hundreds of animals throughout their life and they don't belong in the ecosystem to began with. That is, I prefer actions that minimize overall harm rather than those that prefer one species over another.