US The Everything Thanksgiving Thread

My sister is hosting Thanksgiving this year as was done in the past. Last year we had an outdoor celebration at a park because of covid but this year we are back to normal!
My family is gathering this year as well. Last year, I was solo, but this year it will be at my parents' house, with my sister and my nephew Sean and his family (Ashley and Nolan, my great-nephew). My nephew Matt and his son, Jace, are probably not coming because he wanted to bring his new gf, but she isn't vaccinated, so my parents were like, ehhhh, sorry, that's a no-go. That said, it will be so nice to be with family this year.

Last edited:
I think we will go to my daughter’s. My oldest will come up and spend the night. I’m planning on my nut roast. Then probably the usual trimmings…sweet potatoes, stuffing, gravy and roasted vegetables.

I might be more excited about the day after since daughter is sleeping over and we are planning to go to Clay Date and do some kind of crafting. There’s a Pizzaria next door and I always get the fried dough.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
I think we will go to my daughter’s. My oldest will come up and spend the night. I’m planning on my nut roast. Then probably the usual trimmings…sweet potatoes, stuffing, gravy and roasted vegetables.

I can't remember whether you celebrated it last year. Do you just have your immediate family for TG?

I love the nut roast, but I've had it for several holidays and I'm thinking of trying to make a stuffed holiday roast or something. I haven't quite decided. I need to find a recipe that doesn't take forever (the ones I've seen are kind of involved, with a lot of waiting and multiple cooking steps) and do a dry run to see whether I'll actually like it. Gaz Oakley has one that's wrapped in vegan bacon (which I would skip), but the actual roast looks really good. I will see. I've never tried the store-bought holiday roasts, so I'm not even sure I whether I like them, haha. The price has always put me off.

Reactions: KLS52
I love the nut roast, but I've had it for several holidays and I'm thinking of trying to make a stuffed holiday roast or something. I haven't quite decided. I need to find a recipe that doesn't take forever (the ones I've seen are kind of involved, with a lot of waiting and multiple cooking steps) and do a dry run to see whether I'll actually like it. Gaz Oakley has one that's wrapped in vegan bacon (which I would skip), but the actual roast looks really good. I will see. I've never tried the store-bought holiday roasts, so I'm not even sure I whether I like them, haha. The price has always put me off.
I tried a couple of the store bought roasts and wasn’t impressed with any, mostly due to my fussiness with seasonings.

I found a new nut roast with red lentils. I might try that one instead of my usual stuffed favorite.

Reactions: PTree15
I feel compelled to try a premade roast just because, but then I see the price and forget it!
I'll make my favorite seitan turky roast, gravy from the simmer broth, loads of stuffing, corn, green beans w garlic, and cranberry sauce
a mix of version 1 & 2

I feel compelled to try a premade roast just because, but then I see the price and forget it!
I'll make my favorite seitan turky roast, gravy from the simmer broth, loads of stuffing, corn, green beans w garlic, and cranberry sauce
a mix of version 1 & 2
Same. I've always been put off by the price.

This year we have family problems since i no longer have parents living both my siblings are making excuses not gather. One sister says her husband has to work and she is going to a buisness trip. She not thinking about any holidays right now. She and her husband last month sold alot of stuff and he was hardly working and said they were going to FL to look at possible homes. So i am not sure whats story.
Then my other sister is nurse works as well long hours. Her daughter has small family and they been doing holidays with them.
So it will be my husband and I and the dogs like always.
Next year will be adopting a family or two and give them a holiday instead of dealing with family.

We'll probably have Thanksgiving with my wife's parents like we do most years. However, this year my wife's aunt is bringing her boyfriend and his (adult) daughter.

I'm looking forward to this because every single year, my wife's family just rehashes the same old nostalgic memories, which is quite boring after 20+ years. So this "infusion" of new people will give them something else to talk about.

On a side note, we were able to find a Whole Foods version of Tofurkey, which we haven't been able to find in 5+ years.

Same. I've always been put off by the price.

that is why we buy the Gardein Turkey rolls - the small ones with two in a package - you eat a lot less that way if you do one per person so it works about about $3.00 per person for the turkey and there is a gravy for each roll as well - it is plenty of food for each along with all the other goodies

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: KLS52
that is why we buy the Gardein Turkey rolls - the small ones with two in a package - you eat a lot less that way if you do one per person so it works about about $3.00 per person for the turkey and there is a gravy for each roll as well - it is plenty of food for each along with all the other goodies

Emma JC
Thank you. I just saw those reviewed on a video, and the people liked the taste and texture, which was good to know. I do like a lot of Gardein, though I haven't seen the small Turkey rolls. I'll have to see whether the other stores in my area have them. My Stop & Shop did not have them.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I haven't been able to find any affordable turkey substitutes in years except for the Gardein cutlets which I do like. The HFS's do have some but they are very expensive!

• Friendly
Thank you. I just saw those reviewed on a video, and the people liked the taste and texture, which was good to know. I do like a lot of Gardein, though I haven't seen the small Turkey rolls. I'll have to see whether the other stores in my area have them. My Stop & Shop did not have them.

the stores often get them in just before Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter and don't always carry them the rest of the year - I buy 4 or 5 when I see them in stock

Emma JC

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I found a recipe for vegan cranberry bread to make for Thanksgiving this year. I have made homemade cranberry sauce in the past but Lynda said she is getting the cranberry relish from Publix so since I had already bought the cranberries, I had to find something else. This looks tasty and is easy to make!

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC