News The End of Cheese as we Know it

We were served wheels of Miyoko's cheese at the gala last night. One was tomato garlic and the the other was an herb (I think, I didn't have it). The tomato was good, but wow! if someone could really come up with "the luxurious experience for well-aged Gouda", I'd be all in!

Follow Your Heart has it - haven't tried it myself...

Emma JC

I like FYH smoked gouda. I guess Daiya has one in a block but I've never seen it anywhere!
When I first tried Daiya cheddar block I was so impressed I compared it a dairy cheddar my son had. Daiya won! For me Daiya blocks have won. FYH second, though I've only had slices, Chao now disgusts me. I haven't gone any further. No shreds appeal to me

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I like FYH smoked gouda. I guess Daiya has one in a block but I've never seen it anywhere!
When I first tried Daiya cheddar block I was so impressed I compared it a dairy cheddar my son had. Daiya won! For me Daiya blocks have won. FYH second, though I've only had slices, Chao now disgusts me. I haven't gone any further. No shreds appeal to me

We have Earth Island in Canada which is the same company as Follow Your Heart and we use both cheddar and mozz shreds from them. I try to keep the amount we use small, just enough for a taste as it is mostly oil. Between two of us we probably use one package of shreds every two weeks.

Emma JC

I tried the Daiya cheddar block last week, and it reminds me of a mild dairy cheddar. It's surprisingly good partly because I get to follow the same 'ritual' I had with cheddar, trying to cut off exactly an ounce then cutting into shreds for garnish. Good times. I think I missed the cheese prep more than the cheese! I had no idea they had one for gouda as well.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I don't miss chedar or gouda. I always liked swiss, mozzarella, and parmesan. Go Veggie covers the parmesan alright.

I don't miss cheddar cheese that you have in the US, as it doesn't taste anything like farmhouse cheddar. I really dislike Go Veggie products and also can't imagine that their substitute tastes like parmesan. :)

I just accept the fact that I will never taste it anymore ( I miss it with pasta) as it's an omni product. Many varieties of dairy cheese aren't even vegetarian.

The term cheddar cheese is widely used, but has no protected designation of origin within the European Union. However, in 2007 a Protected Designation of Origin, "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar", was created and only Cheddar produced from local milk within Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall and manufactured using traditional methods may use the name.[6][7] Outside of Europe, the style and quality of cheeses labelled as cheddar may vary greatly, with some processed cheeses being packaged as "cheddar" while bearing little resemblance. Furthermore, certain cheeses that are more similar in taste and appearance to Red Leicester are sometimes popularly marketed as "red Cheddar".

Google.

I just accept the fact that I will never taste it anymore ( I miss it with pasta) as it's an omni product. Many varieties of dairy cheese aren't even vegetarian.

Shyvas, have you tried the Violife "Prosociano" vegan parmesan?

German brand "Simply V" also have a very nice parmesan alternative that is already grated.

I really like the FYH parm shreds.
I had a block of Daiya munster in the freezer a while and when it thawed it completely crumbled when I tried to cut it! Now to me (who never used parmasean) it was the perfect parm over spaghetti! I think it was just the texture of the kind in the can, but moist--I should try that with the cheddar for mac & cheese!

I don't miss cheddar cheese that you have in the US, as it doesn't taste anything like farmhouse cheddar. I really dislike Go Veggie products and also can't imagine that their substitute tastes like parmesan. :)

The term cheddar cheese is widely used, but has no protected designation of origin within the European Union. However, in 2007 a Protected Designation of Origin, "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar", was created and only Cheddar produced from local milk within Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall and manufactured using traditional methods may use the name.[6][7] Outside of Europe, the style and quality of cheeses labelled as cheddar may vary greatly, with some processed cheeses being packaged as "cheddar" while bearing little resemblance. Furthermore, certain cheeses that are more similar in taste and appearance to Red Leicester are sometimes popularly marketed as "red Cheddar".

Google.

Yeah our local co-op has some cheese in the case that clearly say vegetarian rennet. I don't see this often (or ever) in mainstream supermarkets.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas

I like FYH smoked gouda too. It's so good I can actually eat small pieces of it cold (though I don't do this regularly, I really think its best melted on things). I am really responding though because you said Chao disgusts you. I've never seen a vegan say that lol.

Yeah our local co-op has some cheese in the case that clearly say vegetarian rennet. I don't see this often (or ever) in mainstream supermarkets.

Since the mid-2010's, over 90% of commercial dairy cheeses (except for organic cheeses and certain specialty cheeses) have been made with microbial rennet, or with fermentation-produced chymosin (FPC), rather than with animal rennet (reference article from the Vegetarian Resource Group: https://www.vrg.org/blog/2012/08/21...roduced-chymosin-fpc-how-vegetarian-are-they/ ). These curdling ingredients are typically listed as "enzymes" on cheese ingredient lists.

Fermentation-produced cheese-curdling enzymes are produced using genetically-modified bacteria, rather than from animal tissues. This process was first reported in the early 1980s (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC394112/ ), and the GMO bacteria were patented in 1990. This was the first genetically-modified food product to be patented.

Because these cheese-enzyme-making bacteria contain a gene that was originally derived from a calf (approximately 30 years ago), some may not consider it to be vegetarian. For me, this is not an issue, as I don't eat dairy cheese.

Certified organic dairy cheeses cannot use these bacterial curdling enzymes, as the bacteria are GMO.

Last edited:
I prefer Daiya and 365 over Chao. Doesn’t disgust me, but it doesn’t excite me