Status
Not open for further replies.

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
It should now be possible for you to help out with the costs of running this place. You can contribute through PayPal by going to Account Upgrades from the drop-down menu on your username in the top menu (or just click this link), and use either USD or GBP. Other ways of transferring money may be possible in the future.

Benefits include:
  • Awesome green coloured username
  • Ability to bookmark posts
  • 1 image and unlimited number of URLs in your signature
  • Ability to hide your online status (become "invisible") to other members
  • Ability to change your registered gender (without contacting an admin)
  • That amazing sense of fulfilment you get from doing good deeds
I hope to add more benefits as the site continues to evolve. E.g. I'm toying with the idea of displaying a feed from blogs in a similar way to how tweets are displayed now, except that will be on a separate VV portal page.

Last edited:
I should add that if you want your tweets featured, then let me know your twitter name.

Also, the contributions received will go towards new add-ons first before anything go towards boring things like rent for the server.

Btw, it turns out that green usernames don't stand out so well when everyone else is green by default as is the case in some of the styles / skins ... Will have to do something about that! :)

Oh, and thanks to everyone who has contributed already!

I haven't used PayPal in a long time, so I need to make sure my financial info is up to date before contributing. But I'm pledging a contribution right now. :)

ETA: I've now made a payment. But I have two questions:

1. Do these payments automatically renew every year, or do we renew manually?
2. Are these payments tax deductible? (I'm guessing no.) :p

Thank you so much to those who have renewed recently! This is much appreciated.
ETA: I've now made a payment. But I have two questions:

1. Do these payments automatically renew every year, or do we renew manually?
2. Are these payments tax deductible? (I'm guessing no.) :p
  1. To be honest, I don't know how that works. I imagine it says when you make the initial payment. Maybe one of the members who have renewed recently would know for certain?
  2. I don't think they are, but in a fair world, they would be! I'm sure VV would have to be registered somewhere over in the US somewhere for that to be possible. I'm not sure what is involved. If someone else here knows, please do let me know :)

Thank you so much to those who have renewed recently! This is much appreciated.

1. I don't think they are, but in a fair world, they would be! I'm sure VV would have to be registered somewhere over in the US somewhere for that to be possible. I'm not sure what is involved. If someone else here knows, please do let me know :)
Unless VV is registered as a 501(c) (3) organization, then no, it's not tax deductable.

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-...-Requirements-Section-501(c)(3)-Organizations

my CM thing went automatically. I just got an email saying that paypal had transferred five quid; I was a bit nervous at first as I wondered who it was....I thought it would be in June, or later in the year.

Mine was automatic, too, which is fine by me.

I don't mind. I just wish there were a bit more traffic..

How many vegetarians are there in the world with access to the internet, and only a tiny percentage join veg forums.

Reactions: Amy SF
I don't mind. I just wish there were a bit more traffic..

How many vegetarians are there in the world with access to the internet, and only a tiny percentage join veg forums.
Need to set up a table at vegfests, or maybe pass out small flyers. Once I get a working printer, I could print out a flyer to put in the vegan supermarket the next time I go.

Need to set up a table at vegfests, or maybe pass out small flyers. Once I get a working printer, I could print out a flyer to put in the vegan supermarket the next time I go.
I really appreciate any and all publicity we can get! Jen says I should do more stuff like that, flyers and business cards. I always thought online marketing was better, but I'm starting to wonder if the personal touch of giving someone a flyer or business card is in fact more effective.

Yeah I just got an email about an "Automatic paypal payment" then freaked out. Was glad when I realised it was VV as you're welcome to my fiver.

I havent ever seen VV advertised around the internet. I do know if I was out and about at a vegan fair or something and I was chatting to some nice people from a forum who gave me a flyer I'd join it. I dont mind the amount of current members - I'd rather talk to the same few (quite a few) people about various topics than have a new person ask about honey/oysters once a week then bugger off

I think it says to be a Contributing Member, you have to have a PayPal account.

Then there's a section on just making a donation, and it bifurcates on whether you have a PayPal account or not.

If not, then I believe it says: "Pay as a guest now, sign up for PayPal later." Could "later" mean "never"? I basically never want to have a PayPal account. I am willing to have PayPal handle individual payments on a case-by-case basis, but I never want to have a PayPal account.

I think it says to be a Contributing Member, you have to have a PayPal account.

Then there's a section on just making a donation, and it bifurcates on whether you have a PayPal account or not.

If not, then I believe it says: "Pay as a guest now, sign up for PayPal later." Could "later" mean "never"? I basically never want to have a PayPal account. I am willing to have PayPal handle individual payments on a case-by-case basis, but I never want to have a PayPal account.
Yes, I believe that is the case - you can let Paypal handle individual payments, such as when making a contribution, but you don't need to ever have a Paypal account.

BTW, I'm happy to convert a donation into a contributing membership, if the amount is the same. So that way members can become CMs without having a Paypal account.

Last edited:
Having an email reminder that my CM is expiring is a big help in remembering to renew. I just wanted to say that.

Yes, I believe that is the case - you can let Paypal handle individual payments, such as when making a contribution, but you don't need to ever have a Paypal account.

BTW, I'm happy to convert a donation into a contributing membership, if the amount is the same. So that way members can become CMs without having a Paypal account.

Thank you. Let me look into making a donation.

Reactions: Second Summer
OK, I just made an $8 donation to VV.

PayPal put me on a page where I could have created a PayPal account, but it was very clearly marked optional, and there was a "No, Thanks" button at the bottom of the page. So the process was fine and dandy.

I've added a bookmarks feature. Contributing Members (and moderators) will find a little Bookmark link underneath every post. Your list of bookmarks can be accessed from your account menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.