Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
hummus.jpeg

Hummus is probably the healthiest vegan dish there is,
Contains whole protein and gluten-free.
And also very simple to make.
The only tough thing about making hummus is the long preparation time.

The secret to great hummus is preparing the chickpeas, in order to acquire the smooth paste the grains have to be super soft, almost melting between your fingers.
So here are a few tips on handling the chickpeas:
1. When buying the chickpeas, choose the small size grains type.
2. Wash them well in a strainer and then soak them in a lot of water for at least 20 hours.
3. Before cooking the chickpeas, wash them well again in a strainer.
4. Boil the chickpeas in a lot of water, on high flame.
Don't add anything to the water! no salt! otherwise, they will never get soft. only water!
5. Remove the white foam that will be created when the water boils.
Repeat this a few times then lower the flame, close the lid and let it cook for 4-5 hours until the chickpeas are very soft so you can mash them between your fingers.
mashedchickpeas.jpeg

6. After the chickpeas are ready, separate the cooking water from the grain and keep them in a bowl, you are going to use these water for the making of the hummus.
separate water.jpeg

7. The last tip - since it takes a long time to prepare the chickpeas, you can cook a large amount of chickpeas, keep them in the freezer and use some of them whenever you feel like making hummus.
The making of the hummus takes only a few minutes once the chickpeas are ready.

You can find here the rest of the perfect hummus recipe.

Reactions: Andy_T
My secret to making perfect hummus:

Use a high speed blender.

The end.

(Might not be as perfect as the other, but was 20 hours faster)

That said, I will try the other recipe myself.

My secret to making perfect hummus:

Use a high speed blender.

The end.

(Might not be as perfect as the other, but was 20 hours faster)

That said, I will try the other recipe myself.

Thank you for the tip, Andy :yum

You might say I'm traditional and old fashion, but when it comes to food I believe in slow cooking.
I also believe that it's more healthy this way,
Slowly extracting the nutritional ingredients from the chickpeas to the water, then using the same water for making the hummus.

But it's true, there are faster ways to make hummus.
You can also add baking soda to the cooking process and it will significantly shorten it.
Actually, that's what they do in most hummus restaurants.
However, I use natural, healthy, and slow cooking.

I read the title of this thread wrong. I thought it said "The Complete Guide to Perfect Humans." Like it was a recipe for cooking the perfect human.

• Haha
Reactions: Shir Gutman
I used to follow the idea that salt prevented proper cooking until I read up it the science and tried it myself.
I find both soaking beans in salted waster, drain and rinse, and adding a bit for the cooking makes the skins far softer and the beans creamier

Reactions: PTree15