The cat mafia boss has put a hit out on my friend...

Nekodaiden

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So here's the situation:

I'm the caretaker of a little pussy cat, who presently gets the bulk of my affection and attention. She is full grown but smaller in size than most cats. She loves my yard and here is the problem - so do other neighborhood cats. As far as I can tell (by what I've observed) she is not aggressive to other feline yard invaders, but treats them warily. Some of these other cats I've chased off and never see again. However, there is one brute that keeps coming back. A large male cat I have nicknamed "nastycat". I have chased it off numerous times but it still comes back. Not only does it come back, it attacks my cat. This cat is looked after by someone in the neighborhood, judging by it's collar and bell and appears well fed.

My arsenal of "discourage without violence" so far is limited to me waving a big stick, yelling, and throwing water balloons at yard invaders. Although I have not yet pegged Nasty Cat with a water bomb, I'm not sure it would even ultimately persuade it to leave my cat alone. After witnessing more bullying the other day, I started thinking along lines I shouldn't.

Oh, also, the female cat I look after is spayed, so there's no chance she is putting out mating scent to attract other cats.

Your advice on dealing with persistent feline bullies, short of drastic measures is what is sought here.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
There are these automatic cat sprayers. Maybe you could place some of those on your yard?
I have seen them in action in the series My Cat From Hell, and those have been proven to work against invaders.
Or then build a large cage with iron net where your cat can be alone? That sounds cruel and unfair, but it would give your cat some peace.
And those cages can be build to be very comfortable. You can place a cat tree in there, some scraching poles, a super cat highway etc. And the cage can be as big as you'd like... or as big as you think your cat would enjoy.

That's all I got... Not much.
I hope that you'll find a solution soon.

Bring your friend indoors. There's no way to stop the other guy without hurting him.

Australia has a problem anyway with domestic cats decimating wildlife.

But even if you decide to build the cage, the menace should still be sorted somehow, because that ******* might be lurking around the cage and torment your cat just by being there...
Maybe, before a solution is found, you could walk your cat on a leash?
If you decide to turn her into an indoor cat, she might still notice that other cat through a window, and she might start to mark her territory (pee everywhere). Also, indoor cats are more prone to urinary tract problems, and other conditions, like for example diabetes, so then it will become extremely important to give her healthy food. Somesort of meat mixed with a little bit of water might be best. Some cats forget to drink enough, even when they have multiple water sources. But drinking fountain might help with that.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
But even if you decide to build the cage, the menace should still be sorted somehow, because that ******* might be lurking around the cage and torment your cat just by being there...
Maybe, before a solution is found, you could walk your cat on a leash?
If you decide to turn her into an indoor cat, she might still notice that other cat through a window, and she might start to mark her territory (pee everywhere). Also, indoor cats are more prone to urinary tract problems, and other conditions, like for example diabetes, so then it will become extremely important to give her healthy food. Somesort of meat mixed with a little bit of water might be best. Some cats forget to drink enough, even when they have multiple water sources. But drinking fountain might help with that.
Australia is killing millions of feral cats this year by using poison because of predation of native wildlife by cats.The very least people living in Australia can do is keep their cats indoors.

You can't just feed a cat "meat mixed with water." They need taurine for heart health. If they're outside hunting and killing their own food, they'll get it from some of the organs ( but not the flesh) of freshly killed animals. Taurine degrades very rapidly after an animal is killed, which is why commercial cat food is always supplemented with taurine.

The reason indoor cats can be prone to diabetes and UTIs is not because they are indoors, but because they are fed a diet too high in carbohydrates and/or dry cat food instead if canned. A quality canned cat food will contain no grain, very little in the way of carbs, and will be very high in protein. It will also be supplemented with taurine (even l lesser cat foods will be supplemented with taurine - it's tt basic of a need).

I've never had a female cat mark territory, and I've lived with close to a hundred cats in my lifetime. Not saying it can't happen, but it's pretty rare.

The cat isn't going to be kept indoors nor will I build a cage outside. I doubt I could keep the cat indoors even if I wanted to (I don't) - it has a history before me and is used to being outside. It would not hang around if I tried to keep it prisoner, which I am not keen to do.

Building an enclosure outside is an interesting idea but I doubt the cat would take to that either.

NastyCat is a problem, but it isn't like this happens every day or even week, but often enough to be a nuisance. I don't mean to downplay it, sometimes the fights are nasty and result in bloodshed, but it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes nastycat fights with other cats when both happen to be in my yard.

I might add that this intruder is bold. Most cats scurry and run away from me. This one does too, but it has actually stood it's ground once when I came at it, up until the last several feet that is. I've never seen a cat do that that was on unfriendly or unfamiliar terms.

I'd rather it just not come around. I need a good way to discourage it from doing so.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Australia is killing millions of feral cats this year by using poison because of predation of native wildlife by cats.The very least people living in Australia can do is keep their cats indoors.

You can't just feed a cat "meat mixed with water." They need taurine for heart health. If they're outside hunting and killing their own food, they'll get it from some of the organs ( but not the flesh) of freshly killed animals. Taurine degrades very rapidly after an animal is killed, which is why commercial cat food is always supplemented with taurine.

The reason indoor cats can be prone to diabetes and UTIs is not because they are indoors, but because they are fed a diet too high in carbohydrates and/or dry cat food instead if canned. A quality canned cat food will contain no grain, very little in the way of carbs, and will be very high in protein. It will also be supplemented with taurine (even l lesser cat foods will be supplemented with taurine - it's tt basic of a need).

I've never had a female cat mark territory, and I've lived with close to a hundred cats in my lifetime. Not saying it can't happen, but it's pretty rare.
Oh, yes, sorry. My english isn't that good, but when I said meat with water, I meant just that: high quality commercial cat food (meat) with water.
Indoor cats also develope health problems because they don't move enough.

I used to have a cat using my garden beds as a litter box. It was very frustrating. I ended up raising my beds to waist height, and put a little fence around them, to not only keep cats out, but the deer as well. It's worked flawlessly. However, before that idea was suggested to me, I bought a super-soaker water pistol. I could shoot the cat with the water pistol from inside my house, out a window, which was ideal. I was able to finally discourage the cat from coming, after nailing him several times with the super-soaker, as he was about to do his business. The deer, on the other hand, nothing short of a fence was keeping them out.

Between deer, slugs, and kitty cats, gardening has its challenges ;)

Speaking of indoor cats - I had an indoor cat live to the ripe age of 21. I never really knew much about feline diets back then, and simply fed him dried food...good quality, mind you, but dried. I thought it was better for their teeth back then. The only reason he was an indoor cat, was because I was living way to close to a busy road back then. He would have never made it to 21 on the street. He was a gift from an ex. I have never had another pet since then and probably never will.

The cat isn't going to be kept indoors nor will I build a cage outside. I doubt I could keep the cat indoors even if I wanted to (I don't) - it has a history before me and is used to being outside. It would not hang around if I tried to keep it prisoner, which I am not keen to do.

Building an enclosure outside is an interesting idea but I doubt the cat would take to that either.

NastyCat is a problem, but it isn't like this happens every day or even week, but often enough to be a nuisance. I don't mean to downplay it, sometimes the fights are nasty and result in bloodshed, but it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes nastycat fights with other cats when both happen to be in my yard.

I might add that this intruder is bold. Most cats scurry and run away from me. This one does too, but it has actually stood it's ground once when I came at it, up until the last several feet that is. I've never seen a cat do that that was on unfriendly or unfamiliar terms.

I'd rather it just not come around. I need a good way to discourage it from doing so.
I feel for you. Feral cats really can be nasty.
There's such a disconnect in how Americans view cats compared to other countries, well urban American in general.
My only thought is if there is any possibility of trapping the cat ( a male right?) and having it neutered.
An enclosure sounds far worse than trying to make it an indoor cat, the idea of taunting and not able to be free sound terribly stressful!
Have you ever brought the cat in your home? I've taken in cats that were rescued that have adapted very very quickly! The two I had rescued from the wild, though they were still very young, have become the most domesticated of all my 7.
I don't see any value in trying to change how they live if other than full interventions.
My best advice is have that guy neutered and save many many many cats lives --as in all the babies created

• Agree
Reactions: Mischief
Using The Old Lady Who Swallowed the Fly strategy you could adopt a dog.
I thought about that too, but then remembered that Nekodaiden is a cat person. I don't know how I know this, or if it is even true... My brain collects all sort or weirdness.
But that would be brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about that too, but then remembered that Nekodaiden is a cat person. I don't know how I know this, or if it is even true... My brain collects all sort or weirdness.
But that would be brilliant.

However, if the dog doesn't work he would have to adopt a goat.

The Nerf Super Soaker Squall Surge is one of the best-reviewed water guns on the market. Although it is pricey. but would be more fun and maybe even more humane than just using the garden hose* and a nozzle.

* in the British version of Harry Potter, the word pipe is used instead of hose. Not sure what they call it in Australia.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I might look into a super soaker or something similar, a portable gun I can aim with a fair range and payload at quick notice seems like it would up the chances of soaking unwanted invaders over water balloons or rushing for the hose...