Media The Budget Vegan Cookbook:Vegan on $21 a Week

Octavia M.

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi all!

Very excited to announce that my first cookbook was published a couple of days ago. I've been working on it for months and I'm very excited to share these cheap, easy, and delicious vegan recipes with you all. It's on Amazon, in Kindle format only for the time being.

Check it out! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N37DMV3

And for more recipes and upcoming work, check out my blog: http://www.octaviamallard.com

Could I see a sample of a few of your recipes before buying it?

Of course!

Here's a couple. Let me know what you think!

South American Rice Bowl:

Description: This incredibly filling, South American inspired dish is very simple. If you’ve prepped for the week, most of these ingredients have been made and need merely to be heated and combined. It’s makes a great dinner, or, if you’re looking for a heartier lunch, it make

Ingredients:

-1/2 cup of uncooked rice

-1/2 cup of cooked black beans (See previous recipe)

-1/8 of white onion

-1/2 cup fried plantains (See previous recipe)

-1/4 cup pico de Gallo

-pickled vegetables for garnish

Recipe:

In small pot boil 1 cup of water. When water is at a rolling boil, add rice and stir. Cover with a gap between the lid and the pot on one side to avoid boiling over. Turn heat down to low/medium. Stir occasionally until most of the liquid is gone and rice is al dente. Turn off heat and cover completely.

In separate pan, sauté onions until they begin to turn brown. Set aside. In same pan, reheat plantain medallions and set aside. Finally, reheat beans and set aside.

Place rice in bowl and arrange beans, plantains, and rice in desired configuration. Garnish with pico de Gallo and pickled vegetables. Top with Sriracha or other desired hot sauce.

Add-ons and substitutions: You can season black beans using the black bean and rice recipe, but I find that they are good enough as they are without extra seasoning. Garnish with cabbage salad instead of pickled vegetables for a milder dish.

Oatmeal banana pancakes

Description: These sweet and filling pancakes are a great start to any day. They’re quick, easy and you don’t even need to add sugar.

Ingredients:

-1 ripe banana

-1/2 cup oats soaked in water (leftovers from oat mile will work here)

-1/2 cup oat flour

-pinch of salt

-water

Recipe:

Preheat pan on low to medium heat. Because the mixture contains bananas, it will need to cook more slowly than regular pancakes, so err on the side of low heat to avoid burning.

Mix half a cup of the leftover oats* from your oat milk with one banana, smashed. Add 1/2 cup of oat flour and a pinch of salt. Mix in water until you reach a thick but pourable consistency, slightly thinner than cake batter.

*If you did not make oat milk or save the oats from it, soak 1/2 cup of oats in warm water until they become soft (around 15 minutes) and use those instead.

Add a little bit of oil to coat the surface of the pan and pour in one quarter of the batter. Flip when bottom is browned and bubbles appear on the side facing up.

Serve with the sweetener of your choice.
Could I see a sample of a few of your recipes before buying it?

Add-ons and substitutions: If you have vegan butter, spread onto each pancake after you remove them from the oven. Walnuts are another great add on, though I would put them on top rather than adding them to the batter. You can substitute any non-dairy milk for water. I would recommend soy or almond milk to add a nutty flavor.