The Breakfast Cereal Thread

What kind of breakfast cereal do you like?

• flakes

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • shredded wheat

• granola

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • muesli

• O's (Cheerios or equivalent)

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • rice puffs

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • the flavored, sugary crap marketed to kids

• other (please specify)

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I rarely eat cereal, so I don't care what I eat

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don't like or eat cereal at all.

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I'm not really a big fan of breakfast cereal, but it does fill me up, for at least a couple hours, so I keep it on hand when I can for my breakfasts. (Plus, I understand, some people will eat cereal for lunch, dinner and snacking.)

Do you people eat cereal? Do you have a favorite brand or type of cereal? What do you add to it? (Type of milk, type of fruit, for example.) Do you get big boxes of the stuff or just a little bit from different bulk bins?

Do you stick to the most healthful type, such as bran, or do you indulge yourself with the chocolate or fruity stuff?

The poll is multiple choice.

mostly All-Bran, and Wheatabix these days.

With soya milk, and aspartame, and a pinch of salt.

I don't really eat cereal. When I was younger I would eat a ton of cinnamon toast crunch.

I used to love cereal, hot or cold. I don't eat much cold now because I find it annoying figuring out what's vegan. Lately I have been making farina. I use almond milk and eat it 4-5 times a week.

I haven't eaten cereal in decades, but when I did, I loved Cap'n Crunch. :D

There isn't a big selection of vegan cereals here. I get Special K Berries when I want cereal, but still want something sort of healthy with not a lot of sugar, and Captain Crunch when I want a sweet, terribly bad for you, comfort food. I use vanilla almond milk with them.

eta: Cocoa pebbles was my favorite, I could happily eat it for every meal.

Last edited:
I love cereal! I can eat it every day and often do. My normal breakfast is cereal with a banana and vanilla almond milk. I also eat it as a snack. I like the granola varieties though they tend to be more expensive. I do not eat the sugary stuff anymore though I use to love frosted flakes and frosted mini wheats. Frosted mini wheats have gelatin..... :(

Just now seen it, I like rice Krispies, toasted oats(like cherries) , corn flakes , sometimes shredded wheat type cereals and oat meal natural and hot cereals like cream of wheat or malt or meal or cereals by hodgons mills and i am on a fix that I need to put sugar and cinnamon with my cereal.

I like some of the Nature's Path varieties, but even those I think of as being more dessert than breakfast. Something to have on occasion. As for the even more sugary varieties... Fond childhood memory, I'll leave it at that:p

Just now seen it, I like rice Krispies, toasted oats(like cherries) , corn flakes , sometimes shredded wheat type cereals and oat meal natural and hot cereals like cream of wheat or malt or meal or cereals by hodgons mills and i am on a fix that I need to put sugar and cinnamon with my cereal.
Maybe some fruit in there would give you the sweetness? :)

I can't eat cereal without fruit in it. Even dried fruit is better than nothing. That's why I always keep at least one package of dried berries in my pantry for when I run out of fresh fruit and I want cereal.

Reactions: ledboots
I generally can't abide cold cereal. I prefer porridge any day. When I was a kid, my breakfast of choice was usually two pieces of toast while my sisters and parents always had their cereal. (Though I do remember some happy mornings with Fruit Loops and Lucky Charms. The mere thought makes me gag now though)

But I've suddenly had an insane hankering for cold cereal this past week. There's a local brand in the grocery store that I like, they make mostly vegan cereal (one contains honey, but it's clearly marked as it even has honey in the name) using non-gmo ancient grains, very low sodium, and only 2g of sugar per serving. (The lowest amount I could find on a cereal that was both vegan AND non-gmo) I put seeds, and almond milk in it. If I have strawberries and or blue/raspberries, I put those in, if not I slice a banana into it. Either way, it always has some sort of fruit. I also like to top it with cinnamon.

This is very odd for me though, as the thought of a cold breakfast generally depresses me. (I'm weird, I know) That's also why I could never have a breakfast smoothie even though I love them in the afternoon.

Recently I've tried granola a bit for breakfast. It's not the worst thing in the world, especially with banana, strawberries, soya milk and enough time for the granola to get properly soggy.

I eat cereal most mornings and its usually a home made honey granola along with dried fruit, seeds and nuts mixed in with soy milk. Very hearty and has less than half the sugar/oil as most commercial granola.

I also eat mainly oats but every now and again have granola. It's nice with soy yoghurt & fruit. I don't really know of many cereals that aren't full if sugar!