Product The bible and scripture relating to food

HolyVegan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What we eat and how we eat has been a question on many’s minds since recorded history. As believers in God in heaven we are asked by Him to have obedience. (As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. -- 1 Peter 1:14) We can find out through scripture what is asked of us by God and what He says is going to be best for us regardless of our free will.

If as believers, we take the bible literally and not just poetically. What does it say about what God has permitted to be good for us to eat? Does it even matter what we eat? Does what we eat change how God may view us? Has Jesus allowed me to eat of all things freely?

GENESIS can give us a start to what God has said about what is good for us humans to eat.

29 And God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food. 30 Also, to every beast of the earth, to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is life, I have given every green herb for food” -- GENESIS 1:29-30 (NKJV)
These verses are quiet clear that God gave all humans and life breathing animals the vegetation to eat. In the garden before sin, there was no need for blood shed. Not for food or for sacrifice.

"But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it. -- GENESIS 9:4 (NIV)
This is the time of NOAH and the time of the great flood. God speaks to NOAH and tells him what the humans and the animals were eat and gives them into his hand. (The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands. -- GENESIS 9:2 (NIV)) Two beliefs can come from what is the lifeblood and the role it plays in this verse. 1. Removing the blood from something that contains life and consuming the flesh without the blood drained is unclean. 2. Any animal that has blood, or the lifeblood, do not eat it because it contains life.

8 That same night they are to eat the meat roasted over the fire, along with bitter herbs, and bread made without yeast. 9 Do not eat the meat raw or boiled in water, but roast it over a fire--with the head, legs and internal organs.
-- EXODUS 12:8-9 (NIV)
GOD institutes the Passover. There is some specific details God gave to Moses about the Passover feast. How to eat the lamb, how to prepare it and even how long it can be consumed for. This was definitely a special occurrence for God’s people. One of great significance and yearly in occurrence.

25 "Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Festival remain until morning. 26 "Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the LORD your God. "Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk."
-- EXODUS 34:25-26 (NIV)
Whether or not you understand that as not to offer up the blood of a sacrifice to GOD or not to offer up a sacrifice that may contain blood to GOD. GOD does ask to bring before him ‘firstfruits of your soil’ this could mean what grows int the soil that you have grown. Or figuratively the fruits of your labour. Not cooking the sacrifice in milk is quite specific.

12 “I have heard the grumbling of the Israelites. Tell them, 'At twilight you will eat meat, and in the morning you will be filled with bread. Then you will know that I am the LORD your God.” 13 That evening quail came and covered the camp, and in the morning there was a layer of dew around the camp.
-- EXODUS 16:12-13 (NIV) As GOD’s people wander in the wilderness, they complain about the lack of variety in food. The Manna in which GOD sent down from heaven was not good enough in the eyes of many in the camp. GOD answers their cry and tell them they will eat meat and bread at specific times, and they do.

Now a wind went out from the LORD and drove quail in from the sea. It scattered them up to two cubits deep all around the camp, as far as a day's walk in any direction. -- NUMBERS 11:31 (NIV) GOD’s spirit drives the quails from the sea to the camp. Lots of them!

because the life of every creature is its blood. That is why I have said to the Israelite’s, "You must not eat the blood of any creature, because the life of every creature is its blood; anyone who eats it must be cut off." -- LEVITICUS 17:14 (NIV) Because every live creature has blood in it, the Israelite’s must not eat it. Because the life is in the blood? or the creature with life has blood in it? Without the blood in the creature, there is no life.

11 but they are to do it on the fourteenth day of the second month at twilight. They are to eat the lamb, together with unleavened bread and bitter herbs. 12 They must not leave any of it till morning or break any of its bones. When they celebrate the Passover, they must follow all the regulations. -- NUMBERS 9:11-12 (NIV)
GODS passover and the specific regulations that was asked of by GOD. Not breaking the bones of the lamb could be a representation of what was to come to Jesus. (But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. (JOHN 19:3))

32 All that day and night and all the next day the people went out and gathered quail. No one gathered less than ten homers. Then they spread them out all around the camp. 33 But while the meat was still between their teeth and before it could be consumed, the anger of the LORD burned against the people, and he struck them with a severe plague. -- NUMBERS 11:32-33 (NIV) Even though GOD told his people when they would eat meat, they continued to collect quails in the plenty and all that day. Whether he was angry with them for eating the quail at all or if it was because they ate the quail outside the predetermined time or if it was because they took so many and weren’t respectful in what they consumed.

Do not eat anything you find already dead. You may give it to the foreigner residing in any of your towns, and they may eat it, or you may sell it to any other foreigner. But you are a people holy to the LORD your God. Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk. -- DEUTERONOMY 14:21 (NIV)

Let no yeast be found in your possession in all your land for seven days. Do not let any of the meat you sacrifice on the evening of the first day remain until morning. -- DEUTERONOMY 16:4 (NIV)

The ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning and bread and meat in the evening, and he drank from the brook. -- 1 KINGS 17:6 (NIV) Considering ravens eat meat, and generally that of dead bodies, we would have to assume that he at least roasted it over a fire before he consumed the meat. Consider the possibility GOD gives him the opportunity to show his good will and give the raven the meat back and eat the bread for himself. Giving thanks to the raven for bringing his portion. This could also just be GOD providing for him without question of the source of the meat.

They roasted the Passover animals over the fire as prescribed, and boiled the holy offerings in pots, caldrons and pans and served them quickly to all the people. -- 2 CHRONICLES 35:13 (NIV)

He rained meat down on them like dust, birds like sand on the seashore. -- PSALM 78:27 (NIV) Talking about when GOD’s people were wandering in the wilderness and were craving meat.

24 he rained down manna for the people to eat, he gave them the grain of heaven. 25 Human beings ate the bread of angels; he sent them all the food they could eat. -- PSALM 78:24-25 (NIV) GOD gives the humans the food of angels. 1. Angels have food in heaven. 2. GOD was so gracious he provided all the needed to survive the wilderness.

29 They ate till they were gorged-- he had given them what they craved. 30 But before they turned from what they craved, even while the food was still in their mouths, 31 God's anger rose against them; he put to death the sturdiest among them, cutting down the young men of Israel. -- PSALM 78:29-31 (NIV) The people gorged on the quails that rested next to their camp. Even after providing the food of angels, it wasn’t enough for GOD’s people. With the flesh of the birds still in their mouths, GOD unleashed his fury and many fell due to sickness. Does GOD ever ask of us to sacrifice birds and eat of the flesh?

They asked, and he brought them quail; he fed them well with the bread of heaven. -- PSALM 105:40 (NIV) Ask and you will receive, however what GOD had already provided was sufficient enough in the means of bread from heaven.

So he gave them what they asked for, but sent a wasting disease among them. -- PSALM 106:15 (NIV) Because of their greed, GOD sent a disease amongst the meat that ultimately destroyed them.

18 I also said to myself, "As for humans, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals. 19 Surely the fate of human beings is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; humans have no advantage over animals. Everything is meaningless. 20 All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return. -- ECCLESIASTES 3:18-20 (NIV)

Better a small serving of vegetables with love than a fattened calf with hatred. -- PROVERBS 15:17 (NIV) Being content with simple, good food provided by GOD is better than to sacrifice a calf’s life for the sake of your own food. This is full of hatred.

1 When you sit to dine with a ruler, note well what is before you, 2 and put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony. 3 Do not crave his delicacies, for that food is deceptive. -- PROVERBS 23:1-3 (NIV)

If you find honey, eat just enough-- too much of it, and you will vomit. -- PROVERBS 25:16 (NIV) Modest servings. Not taking more than is needed is an on going theme in scripture.

26 the lambs will provide you with clothing, and the goats with the price of a field. 27 You will have plenty of goats' milk to feed your family and to nourish your female servants. -- PROVERBS 27:26-27 (NIV) No mention of the goat itself will be for food. Mentions the milk is for female servants and possibly infants. To have an excess of milk, the goat would have to be well fed and well looked after to provide ample milk for both its young and the family. Lambs wool is considered to be for clothing.

Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. -- PROVERBS 30:8 (NIV) Simple hearted eating, asking only for bread. Riches can provide much excess other than bread and poverty no bread at all.

11"The multitude of your sacrifices-- what are they to me?" says the LORD. "I have more than enough of burnt offerings, of rams and the fat of fattened animals; I have no pleasure in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats. -- ISAIAH 1:11 (NIV)

If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the good things of the land; -- ISAIAH 1:19 (NIV) The ‘good things’ are more than likely what GOD provided us to eat in GENESIS (The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. -- GENESIS 1:12)) Perhaps if you are not obedient, you were to eat outside these things.

Then shall the lambs feed after their manner, and the waste places of the fat ones shall strangers eat. -- ISAIAH 5:17 (KJV)

6 The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them. 7 The cow will feed with the bear, their young will lie down together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox. -- ISAIAH 11:6-7 (NIV) This is a vision into the future. What heaven on earth may look like. This is what GOD has been envisioning since the beginning.

But see, there is joy and revelry, slaughtering of cattle and killing of sheep, eating of meat and drinking of wine! "Let us eat and drink," you say, "for tomorrow we die!" -- ISAIAH 22:13 (NIV)

23 He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows. 24 The oxen and donkeys that work the soil will eat fodder and mash, spread out with fork and shovel. -- ISAIAH 30:23-24 (NIV)

The wolf and the lamb will feed together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox, and dust will be the serpent's food. They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain," says the LORD. -- ISAIAH 65:25 (NIV)

They will devour your harvests and food, devour your sons and daughters; they will devour your flocks and herds, devour your vines and fig trees. With the sword they will destroy the fortified cities in which you trust. -- JEREMIAH 5:17 (NIV)

In that day I will make a covenant for them with the beasts of the field, the birds in the sky and the creatures that move along the ground. Bow and sword and battle I will abolish from the land, so that all may lie down in safety. -- HOSEA 2:18 (NIV)

"They will eat but not have enough; they will engage in prostitution but not flourish, because they have deserted the LORD to give themselves
-- HOSEA 4:10 (NIV)

A whirlwind will sweep them away, and their sacrifices will bring them shame. -- HOSEA 4:19 (NIV)

Though they offer sacrifices as gifts to me, and though they eat the meat, the LORD is not pleased with them. Now he will remember their wickedness and punish their sins: They will return to Egypt. -- HOSEA 8:13 (NIV)

When I fed them, they were satisfied; when they were satisfied, they became proud; then they forgot me. -- HOSEA 13:6 (NIV)

21"I hate, I despise your religious festivals; your assemblies are a stench to me. 22 Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them. Though you bring choice fellowship offerings, I will have no regard for them. -- AMOS 5:21-22 (NIV)

"Did you bring me sacrifices and offerings forty years in the wilderness, people of Israel? -- AMOS 5:25 (NIV)

I will make a covenant of peace with them and rid the land of savage beasts so that they may live in the wilderness and sleep in the forests in safety.
-- EZEKIEL 34:25 (NIV)

As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, because my flock lacks a shepherd and so has been plundered and has become food for all the wild animals, and because my shepherds did not search for my flock but cared for themselves rather than for my flock, -- EZEKIEL 34:8 (NIV)

"Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy and say to them: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Woe to you shepherds of Israel who only take care of yourselves! Should not shepherds take care of the flock? -- EZEKIEL 34:2 (NIV)

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
-- MICAH 6:8 (NIV)

19 For it doesn't go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.) 20 He went on: "What comes out of a person is what defiles them. -- MARK 7:19-20 (NIV)

because it doth not enter into his heart, but into the belly, and into the drain it doth go out, purifying all the meats.' -- MARK 7:19 (YLT) I had to include another translation as the NIV adds an extra text in the brackets that is not there in the original Greek translation. You could translate this Literal translation as the body will purge the body of all meat. Because food doesn’t come out the mouth, does something unclean remain unclean when it passes through the stomach?

4 This is what the LORD my God says: "Shepherd the flock marked for slaughter. 5 Their buyers slaughter them and go unpunished. Those who sell them say, 'Praise the LORD, I am rich!' Their own shepherds do not spare them. -- ZECHARIAH 11:4-5 (NIV)

7 "By offering defiled food on my altar. "But you ask, 'How have we defiled you?' "By saying that the LORD's table is contemptible. 8 When you offer blind animals for sacrifice, is that not wrong? When you sacrifice lame or diseased animals, is that not wrong? Try offering them to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you?" says the LORD Almighty. -- MALACHI 1:7-8 (NIV)

What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them." -- MATTHEW 15:11 (NIV)
Food doesn’t necessarily affect your heart or defile you. Your stomach doesn’t make something unclean then clean when it passes through you. So you could eat flesh and blood but your stomach will purge all foods.

17 "Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18 But the things that come out of a person's mouth come from the heart, and these defile them. -- MATTHEW 15:17-18 (NIV) Whatever could mean clean or unclean foods. Anything that enters goes out the body. Something that could change a persons heart may defile them.

These are what defile a person; but eating with unwashed hands does not defile them." -- MATTHEW 15:20 (NIV) Washing the outside of the cup was useless in the eyes of GOD. Ritual washings and baptisms were unnecessary as it wasn’t able to change someones heart and ultimately what came out their mouth.

These things happened so that the scripture would be fulfilled: "Not one of his bones will be broken," -- JOHN 19:36 (NIV) Both in Exodus and here in JOHN, we read the sacrificial lamb or JESUS legs wont be broken. A sign that our relationship with the Passover lamb should be the same as JESUS sacrifice on the cross.

Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood. -- ACTS 15:20 (NIV)

If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died.
-- ROMANS 14:15 (NIV)

I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. --ROMANS 14:14 (NIV)

For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, -- ROMANS 14:17 (NIV)

7 But not everyone possesses this knowledge. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat sacrificial food they think of it as having been sacrificed to a god, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8 But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do. -- 1 CORINTHIANS 8:7-8 (NIV)

Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, -- 1 CORINTHIANS 10:25 (NIV)

No one should seek their own good, but the good of others. -- 1 CORINTHIANS 10:24 (NIV)

But if someone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the one who told you and for the sake of conscience.
-- 1 CORINTHIANS 10:28 (NIV)

For if someone with a weak conscience sees you, with all your knowledge, eating in an idol's temple, won't that person be emboldened to eat what is sacrificed to idols? -- 1 CORINTHIANS 8:10 (NIV)

Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall. -- 1 CORINTHIANS 8:13 (NIV)

Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak. -- 1 CORINTHIANS 8:9 (NIV)

But if someone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the one who told you and for the sake of conscience.
-- 1 CORINTHIANS 10:28 (NIV)

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.
-- COLOSSIANS 2:16 (NIV)

They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. -- 1 TIMOTHY 4:3 (NIV)

9 This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper. 10 They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings--external regulations applying until the time of the new order. -- HEBREWS 9:9-10 (NIV)

The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming--not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship. -- HEBREWS 10:1 (NIV)

Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by eating ceremonial foods, which is of no benefit to those who do so. -- HEBREWS 13:9 (NIV)

These people are blemishes at your love feasts, eating with you without the slightest qualm--shepherds who feed only themselves. They are clouds without rain, blown along by the wind; autumn trees, without fruit and uprooted--twice dead. -- JUDE 1:12 (NIV)

After reading through these quotes from the scriptures relating to food, what was your overall thoughts to what GOD asks from us? Can you think of other significant passages from scripture that relates to FOOD and obedience to GOD?

WE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU!

holyoils.net