Texas to Open the Fastest Highway with 85 mph limit

I just saw this on the news. I think it is CRAZY!! People are going 85 in the 70 mph speed zones. I can't imagine how fast they will go on those 85 mph roads. High speed crashes are devastating and I am afraid there will be more deaths on that highway. I don't think there are very many people capable of handling that kind of speed but they will go that fast anyway. I am glad I don't live there and have the need to travel that road!

Scares me too...I don't like it. :no:

Yep, the body toll will add up quickly. Better there, than having them speeding and killing innocent people driving on lower speed highways.

I admit - in my misspent youth, I once went up to 105, just to see what it would feel like. :p I did it on a road around here, before the crops were up, so that I could see a mile in every direction.

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
I admit - in my misspent youth, I once went up to 105, just to see what it would feel like. :p I did it on a road around here, before the crops were up, so that I could see a mile in every direction.
I went 110 in one of my Dad's Alfa Romeos. That will always be my favorite car. I regularly do 90 on I-5. It's not speed that causes accidents, it's people who change lanes without looking. The more time you spend next to people, the more likely they are to crash into you. I prefer to pass them as quickly as possible.

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
I just saw this on the news. I think it is CRAZY!! People are going 85 in the 70 mph speed zones. I can't imagine how fast they will go on those 85 mph roads. High speed crashes are devastating and I am afraid there will be more deaths on that highway. I don't think there are very many people capable of handling that kind of speed but they will go that fast anyway. I am glad I don't live there and have the need to travel that road!

Yep. The only reason I've ever gone 75-80 mph was because I was trying to keep up with the traffic! I was getting beeped at and tailgated when I attempted to drive under 75 in the 70 mph highway.

I went 110 in one of my Dad's Alfa Romeos. That will always be my favorite car. I regularly do 90 on I-5.

You're both crazy!:p

I find that depending on the car (assuming identical weather and such) the speed I will comfortably go varies quite a lot. Some I dislike taking over 90kph. Others would happily sit on 140 or above.

I think 120 was the fastest I ever went in miles (literally, because the car was old and still measured mph). Or I assume that because it didn't measure more than 120mph. That wasn't a cruising speed though, I just wanted to overtake something problematic. It was a while ago, but I think he had been going slowly in front then speeding up when people went to overtake, and the overtaking lanes only lasted a little while each before merging back into one lane for each direction. So, I decided to say 'hi' during one of them.

It is roughly the same speed limit that we have overhere 130 km/86/m.

Few motorists respect it and they are numerous accidents on the motorway. I personnally never go over 90/km and think it is fast. I'm also not keen being a passenger in a car as I find many people are not safe drivers.

Speed and alchol are usually the main factors that contribute to fatal road accidents.

http://sandhyap.hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Fatal-Road-Crash-Risk-Factors

Higher speeds certainly increase "roadkill" and that's a tragedy. I don't think it's right to go that fast where animals pass.

Reactions: thefadedone
Speed and alchol are usually the main factors that contribute to fatal road accidents.

In fact, you could even say speed is a requirement of most fatal road accidents.

Higher speeds certainly increase "roadkill" and that's a tragedy. I don't think it's right to go that fast where animals pass.

Why specifically 'that fast'? Is there some speed at which roadkill increases very drastically or something?*

*are there even roadkill statistics? o_O

I use to like to go fast.... now I get nervous going over 70 mph but you have to on the interstate to keep up with the slowest traffic. The fastest I have ever driven was 100 mph on a city street quite by accident when driving my son's Mustang 5.0. I didn't realize how fast that car got up to speed and was shocked to see it; was at that speed for a hot second and immediately slowed to "close" to the limit. :D

If the speed limit is 65 I'm ok doing 75, but not much over that.