UK Tesco stops men from purchasing food for the homeless

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Two men say Tesco stopped them buying food for homeless people – because they were buying ‘too much’.

Stephen Peter Chamberlain, 70, told Metro.co.uk that he and Jewish faith leader Michael Taub were told not to buy £200 of tinned food for food parcels to give to the needy at Saint Laurence’s Larder in Brent.
More: Tesco stops men purchasing £200 worth of food for the homeless (26. Feb. 2017)

Can they legally do that? Is there a law in England that says you're not allowed to buy too much food in one shop? Because if there isn't, this whole thing smells very rotten.

Is there a law in England that says you're not allowed to buy too much food in one shop?
I don't think there is a law against buying too much food, but there might be a law that works the other way around, i.e. shops are allowed to refuse selling something to customers? I can imagine that would have been useful during and shortly after WW2 when there were food shortages. However, it's not long since shops again enforced a limit on how much you could buy of certain vegetables due to shortages, see this thread.