UK Terror Attack - London Mosque

The PM has scheduled another Cobra meeting which are very rare events. However since the last few months they are becoming a recurring event.:(

There were lots of people around the mosque at that time of night attending Ramadan night prayers. I read that the driver in the van was shouting about wanting to kill Muslims.

Summer is the season for madness.

Please bear in mind that your comment might be misunderstood.

There is a long and shameful history of calling muslim/people of colour perpetrators "terrorists", while white perpetrators (which I suspect the one at this attack to be) are typically assumed to be "mentally ill" .

New Scotland Yard have just issued a statement. Considering the circumstances of this incident , it is now considered as a terrorist attack. The attacker is caucasian and is being charged with attempted murder. He is being called a terrorist by police.

The police have to yet determine whether the person who has died was run over by the van or had a medical incident.

Please bear in mind that your comment might be misunderstood.

There is a long and shameful history of calling muslim/people of colour perpetrators "terrorists", while white perpetrators (which I suspect the one at this attack to be) are typically assumed to be "mentally ill" .
That is true. I don't mean 'madness' as in 'clinically insane', but similar to the recent jihadi terrorist attacks. Though, I have a suspicion (and I could be wrong) that this was a less premeditated attack, possibly without any help from any organisation.

That is true. I don't mean 'madness' as in 'clinically insane', but similar to the recent jihadi terrorist attacks. Though, I have a suspicion (and I could be wrong) that this was a less premeditated attack, possibly without any help from any organisation.
Lone wolf terrorists are no less terrorists, and are probably harder to stop because they are less predictable and there are no communications to pick up in advance.

It's nice to know the police in the U.K. are willing to label a terrorist attack a terrorist attack. They don't do that in the US unless the perpetrators are Muslim. :rolleyes:

I read the Finsbury Park mosque used to be very radical and that several terrorists and extremists had been going there, including Abu Hamza and the shoe bomber. The mosque had been reformed around 2005, but these reforms were probably not widely known in anti-muslim circles, so the mosque may have been targeted now because of its previous links to extremists.

TM said yesterday that she has a proposal to set up an anti-extremism commission. I have heard some of the experts on terrorism saying that is exactly what we need to have here.
Let's hope it doesn't turn out to be used to oppress legitimate opposition. Like ... veganism and animal rights groups, which is considered a form of 'extremism' by some.

Though, I have a suspicion (and I could be wrong) that this was a less premeditated attack, possibly without any help from any organisation.

Renting a truck in Cardiff and driving 100 miles to London to use it for an attack on a mosque sounds quite "premeditated" to me. But I share your hope that there are no right-wing organizations plotting further terror attacks.

Reactions: Amy SF