Talking to vegetarians vs. talking to omnivores

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Generally speaking I think vegetarians get along better with each other than they do with omnivores, but if you're able to convince the omnivore to eat less meat you can do a lot of good. Do you prefer to talk to vegetarians, or do you prefer to talk to omnivores?

I prefer to talk to nice people. :)

And it depends on the conversation. I am not totally comfortable talking about vegetarian/vegan issues with non-veg people. So in that respect, I would rather talk to same-minded people.

It's nice to talk to like-minded people, which is why we have places like VV. Of course, veg*ism isn't the only factor so there are lots of non-veg*ns whose company I enjoy.

However, when it comes to a life partner, I decided it was best to find someone in our own flock. It just makes life a lot easier.

I am not totally comfortable talking about vegetarian/vegan issues with non-veg people.
I tend to do the opposite:I'm much more talkative about animal rights in conversations with omnivores than I am in conversations with vegetarians. My mother eats a lot less than she did when I was omnivore so it does work. Animal rights is rarely discussed in our society, so somebody has to do it.

Reactions: Dedalus

And it depends on the conversation. I am not totally comfortable talking about vegetarian/vegan issues with non-veg people. So in that respect, I would rather talk to same-minded people.
I am trying to get more comfortable about it with non-veggies without coming off as preachy because I know that can turn people off, and I so don't want to have that effect. I can sometimes get like that when I'm very passionate about things, and I have to watch it. I am feeling so sad lately about all of the animal cruelty. I have to keep remembering that I was once a non-veggie, too, so that tempers my "preachy-ness." Still, I am feeling as if I can't be quiet about it anymore.
To answer the initial question, I guess I am more comfortable talking about the issues with like-minded people (mostly online, I must say). The few veggies I know IRL are mostly doing it for health reasons.

I've become much more vocal over the years. And I've become much more active with local animal rights activists. Through activities like fur, circus and foie gras protests, I've met a lot more veg*n folks, which in turn gives me more people to talk with and about animal issues, and that is a good foundation for talking to meat-eaters.

me either. >_> I'd probably **** them off or something

Last edited:
I've become much more vocal over the years. And I've become much more active with local animal rights activists. Through activities like fur, circus and foie gras protests, I've met a lot more veg*n folks, which in turn gives me more people to talk with and about animal issues, and that is a good foundation for talking to meat-eaters.
That's awesome, Poppy. I want to do more of this.

I don't prefer to talk to vegetarians, I find most omnis are equally as tolerant/considerate about my veganism than veg*ans. Vegetarianism is a small part of who I am: I don't necessarily have anything more in common with vegetarians than omnis. Especially as peoples reasons for vegetarianism vary.

I know quite a lot of vegetarians and vegans, vegetarianism is common in the UK and I'm part of a vegetarian and vegan society so I also know an unusual amount of vegans. I do find it's good to talk to vegans in particular, because we talk about food all the time, and I really love food. I guess there's quite a lot more common ground with other vegans, because it's that bit more restrictive/unusual, so there's lots of "hey did you know X is vegan?" "hey have you eaten at X restaurant?" "do you like Mrs Cupcakes cupcakes?" "do you have this recipe book?" "do you know where you can find a good vegan mascara" etc.

I'd prefer to talk to interesting people. The veg*n status doesn't really factor in.

Omg that's who I like to talk to too! We should talk to each other! :D
Good god! I didn't hold myself out as being an intelligent person with a good sense of humor, just that I like t talk to such people!

The more differently another person see's things then the more both you and they stand to learn from any conversations you have together.

Ultimately I would prefer the company of people who can learn nothing from me, nor I from them, whatsoever.

pet rock for you CG.

aps42.JPG