Taking care of elderly cats

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
My cats Misty and Sabrina will be 16 years old in April. I noticed quite a while ago that they both take longer to negotiate jumps. Sabrina now seems to take even longer than usual, and sometimes she decides to forget jumping at all. Sometimes she'll jump when I encourage her to do so.

I took them both to the vet in September for their checkups. Misty checked out fine. Sabrina has some kidney problems, but they're manageable. There was no obvious sign of arthritis in either cat.

I don't know how many more years they'll be with me. I know cats have lived to be 20 and beyond, especially when they spend their whole lives indoors, which is the case with Misty and Sabrina.

Other than the obvious (watching for signs of illness and accommodating them physically, such as providing stairs for climbing and warm bedding for them), is there anything else I can do to make my cats comfortable and happy in their golden years, as well as being on the lookout for any age-related problems? I know some of you have had experience with elderly cats, so I'm hoping for some interesting feedback. :) :cat::cat:

I know you mentioned in the chat thread that check ups have never been regular - maybe more frequent vet trips to monitor health?

One of my cats just turned 14 and he is really showing his age. He has trouble jumping, and misses a lot and ends up falling. :( Yet, he still tries.
I don't have steps for him, but I have an ice chest next to the bed so he has two short jumps instead of one big one, otherwise he can't get on the bed. I was impressed that he knew what it was for as soon as I put it there. He usually has a burst of energy in the morning though and will race across the room a few times. :)

I know that wasn't any help, just wanted to mention I'm sort of in the same boat. Mine isn't quite as old as yours though.

Reactions: Amy SF
My oldest cat is 15 and I have made a space for her in a bedroom with a fleecy cat igloo on a shelf with an easy way for her to jump up. I put her litter tray and food and water bowls nearby so she doesn't have to move around too much. She seems fine and looks quite young and mobile for her age anyway.:)

She had a thyroid operation last year but she seems fine since then but she has to have blood tests once a year to check.

Reactions: Amy SF
Having had two elderly cats who died naturally with me at home, I know how you worry about a kitty who is getting older. As far as vet visits and blood work I think it should be what your vet recommends and what you yourself feel is the right thing to do. I really didn't do anything different for my cats as they got older. I just continued to love them and treat them the same. Chloe was diagnosed with lymphoma and was gone in a week from the day I noticed she was not feeling well. That was a shock. She had also been diabetic for 11 years and I treated her for that. She responded very well luckily. And I had her all those years.

So then I go and adopt her clone off the internet and they are nothing alike but I love the clone too.

Reactions: Amy SF and KLS52