Surviving Whole Foods

Haha...I actually thought it was a lot funny...I want to post it to my FB.

The one word that comes to mind after visiting Whole Foods is "gluttony". Not that I dislike all their vegan food and other products, it's just that it's a bit much. And it really does kill your wallet too.

I've never been to one and I hear they are very expensive.

Must say, the few times I've been to Vegas, I always come back will money. So maybe my experience would be different.

I thought it was funny, I don't know how similar UK/USA wholefoods are. I like wholefoods, I like anywhere that has tasty labeled vegan options, but they do look at you like you've done a dump on the carpet if you ask for a bag.

Reactions: Scorpius
I laughed. I shop at wf all the time; it is my closest store! I know what items not to buy there because they are ridiculously priced, but nowhere else can I find many delicious vegan items.

The employees at my local wf are helpful and nice. And they give me a dime per reusable bag I use. And you can drink a beer while you shop, a huge plus. ;)

Reactions: Amy SF
The frugal part of me was cringing reading that whole thing. $313 on one person?:eek:
I'm somewhat grateful that there isn't a WF anywhere near me. I don't think I would bother to shop there. I'd probably go to browse and look around, but that's it.

I've only been twice, and can't afford more than a few items at a time. I would have to win the lottery if I wanted to do any major grocery shopping there. :p

The article is hilarious (and kind of true).

Reactions: thefadedone
I agree with Calliegirl that the article is hilarious and has more than a kernel of truth in it.

I love TJ's though. I once remarked to the cashier how unfailingly pleasant all the staff are, and she laughed and said, "It's the drugs they give us in back."

I agree with Calliegirl that the article is hilarious and has more than a kernel of truth in it.

I love TJ's though. I once remarked to the cashier how unfailingly pleasant all the staff are, and she laughed and said, "It's the drugs they give us in back."

Did you mean TJ's or Whole Foods? The article is about Whole Foods.

This post hasn't made me not want to go.I am very intrigued by going to a grocery and ordering something from the deli that's completely vegan.Not to mention all the other things just for vegans there.I hear they have a large selection and I would be interested in how it differs from large chain stores in my area that have similar vegan food.

Reactions: KLS52
This post hasn't made me not want to go.I am very intrigued by going to a grocery and ordering something from the deli that's completely vegan.Not to mention all the other things just for vegans there.I hear they have a large selection and I would be interested in how it differs from large chain stores in my area that have similar vegan food.

It's quite a nice feeling, akin to ordering something in a vegan-friendly restaurant, seeing some items in the deli marked "vegan". They have stuff like kale salad and grilled teriyaki tofu that are out of this world. Unless you have an unlimited income, it's not something you can live on as, like anything else in WF, the deli offerings are expensive, especially when you get lots of it, but for an occasional indulgence, you can't go wrong. :)

Compare that, though, to the deli department in a regular supermarket, where it's extremely rare to find anything that's actually vegan, and if so, it might be "accidentally" vegan. Usually the best you can find is something that's vegetarian, and if you're vegan, that's obviously not good enough. :shrug:

It's quite a nice feeling, akin to ordering something in a vegan-friendly restaurant, seeing some items in the deli marked "vegan". They have stuff like kale salad and grilled teriyaki tofu that are out of this world. Unless you have an unlimited income, it's not something you can live on as, like anything else in WF, the deli offerings are expensive, especially when you get lots of it, but for an ocassional indulgence,you can't go wrong.:)
That's what I meant.I don't think I'd probably go for a large shopping spree but I'd like to have that luxury of stopping in somewhere and picking up dinner and knowing it's all vegan.

Last edited:

I've only been to TJs once and it was such a relaxed laid back atmosphere. Plus their "uniform" is cool and fun.

I can't imagine being so wealthy to be able to afford to do a weekly shopping at WF.

Reactions: Mischief
As much as I love WF's, I mainly just go in to browse around and will only buy one or two items as a treat.
I never ever buy food from the Deli as it is so much cheaper and usually tastier when you prepare it your-self.

I have survived Waitrose which is one of my favourite shops in the UK so WF's is a breeze.