Supermarket Deals - Cost Consumers £1000

Same here, shyvas, as sometimes supermarkets promote a larger package as a bargain, but it really isn't if the price per pound is higher than that of the smaller package.

Reactions: KLS52
Same here, shyvas, as sometimes supermarkets promote a larger package as a bargain, but it really isn't if the price per pound is higher than that of the smaller package.

That's right. Most of the bargains are situated on the lower shelves.

I found small bottles of grapeseed oil for much less per ounce than big bottles last time we were at the supermarket and made sure to teach ds8 how to find that info.

I'm not surprised. Most of the coupon clipping and mainstream advice is for expensive packaged processed foods. I mostly stay in the produce and bulk aisles and accept the fact that the majority of the population would think i should be ashamed of myself for wasting time grinding my own grain when I'm supposed to be filling out forms and standing in line at the food bank to get "free" stale white bread.

DIY soy drink has also been a huge money saver and revelation for us--it's much easier than I ever imagined when i was buying or not buying those brightly colored aseptic packages and my kid loves the "byproduct", okara, even more than the actual beverage.

Reactions: FreakyFreekeh
DIY soy drink has also been a huge money saver and revelation for us--it's much easier than I ever imagined when i was buying or not buying those brightly colored aseptic packages and my kid loves the "byproduct", okara, even more than the actual beverage.

What kind of recipes do you make with the okara? I'm intrigued!

i use it in place of more expensive stuff in things like Shepherd's Pie, Lasagna, Casseroles from '70s, '80s, and '90s cookbooks, but since this invented recipe is on my mind anyway and it's my little boy's favourite:

Okara balls

mix together 1 batch of okara, 1/4-1 cup oatmeal (depending on finances and the state of your cupboards that particular day), 1 Tbsp-1/4 cup nutritional yeast, 0-2 Tbsp. liquid aminos or soy sauce if you have it, and 1tsp-1Tbsp ground or powdered sage. Roll into balls about the size of a golf ball or ping pong ball. You can fry them or bake them in the over at 350 degrees fahrenheit for about 30 minutes. I like to wrap them up in a tortilla with lettuce or baby spinach, avocado, tomato, artichoke hearts, etc. sort of like my older son does with falafel but the little guy just likes them plain.

I've heard other people say they shape it into a burger like garden burgers or those veggie burgers omnis have at their barbecues if they're serious about inviting you to their kids' birthday parties but I don't know how they season it.

It's kind of bland. I'd say "sort of like tofu", but I'm such a kid at heart that I genuinely LOVE a raw plain piece of very fresh tofu so it would be kind of rude of me to just assume that you don't and would think that's weird. :p