Substitute for heavy cream?

Wolfie

Forum Legend
Reaction score
What do you use for heavy cream in a recipe? It doesn't have to be whipped, just cooked on the stovetop which makes it thicken. Last time I used Silk creamer and it still tasted good but didn't get thick and therefore didn't cling to the pasta well.

Just found something online that says to blend silken tofu and use 1:1 as a substitute. This is a recipe for pasta sauce with pumpkin, "heavy cream", spices, etc. I think tofu would work ok flavor wise. Any thoughts? I just don't want to end up with a mess for the dogs to eat. :p

I think blended raw cashews would be more neutral in taste.
What I just learned is how much pasta water thickens sauces! I've heard it before, but ignored it. Now I love pasta!
How about cornstarch to the cold milk?

My best guess would be silken tofu should work fine. I almost always use Silk creamer but I've never needed it to cook up and thicken. If I do there's usually something else in there that acts as a thickening agent. :)

ETA: Or what silva said. :p

Raw cashews are the closest you'll get. There are heavy soy creams, which I use because allergies. Other premade heavy creams using rice or millet or zillions of endless possibilities exist, but cashews top them all.

Mimic crème?
I've never used it, but I have seen it in vegan recipes that call for "heavy cream".
http://www.mimiccreme.com/

I use this for all recipes that call for heavy cream. It does taste slightly sweet on it's own, but once it's mixed with things I don't notice the sweetness.

I have never seen any other pre-made heavy cream substitutes where I live.

I like to use Oatly, however I don't think that it is available in the US. If not soya cream is perfect for making sauces.

Just found something online that says to blend silken tofu and use 1:1 as a substitute. This is a recipe for pasta sauce with pumpkin, "heavy cream", spices, etc. I think tofu would work ok flavor wise. Any thoughts? I just don't want to end up with a mess for the dogs to eat. :p

Silken tofu is basically flavourless, I've used it for "creamy" things and it gives a really good, thick, smooth texture. A really good way of getting everything from cupcake frosting to an onion tart to set. But because it doesn't really have a flavour, it's only good if you have other things in the recipe with lots of flavour.

A cashew based cream would taste creamier and more flavoursome I would think, but I've never used it quite like this to give a good comparison.

I don't have a food processesor and I don't think my old, crappy blender will blend cashews well enough. It sure doesn't work for chick peas for "tuna" salad.

I don't have a food processesor and I don't think my old, crappy blender will blend cashews well enough. It sure doesn't work for chick peas for "tuna" salad.

You really do need a sturdy FP to whizz up nuts. A blender is useful for liquids or very soft fruits and vegetables. Is there any reason why you don't want to use soya cream as it makes wonderful sauces. As someone else has suggested adding a few spoons of pasta water also adds extra starch which will thicken the sauce.

My blender blends cashews just fine with enough liquid. But my old one didn't so well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370949428.887699.jpg

Cashew cream thickens up damn nice.

Reactions: Wolfie
Is soya cream like Silk creamer? I did use that once but it didn't thicken. I may try it again and use pasta water. I wonder if cornstarch would alter the taste.

Other than various nondairy milks, there's aren't a ton of dairy substitutes to choose from around here.

One day I'll have a Vitamix, I hope! I have a recipe too for mac and cheese that calls for cashews but have never tried it because my blender is old and cheap.

I don't think cornflour (cornstarch) would alter the taste. If you put a LOT in it could possibly alter the texture... but I think you would have to put in a lot.

Some low-calorie/low-fat recipes I have use cornflour to thicken a "creamy" sauce and it doesn't alter the taste. It doesn't add to it either though so it's good to have a nice-tasting sauce to begin with. It gives a clingy thick texture though, which is what you'd want to cling to pasta.

You could try coconut milk and refridgerate it overnight.Skim off the top part and leave the milk behind in the bottom of the can.Blend it in your blender until it's thick.Just make sure you buy the full fat coconut milk.I would print a link but I still can't at this point.:( I hope it helps.

Is soya cream like Silk creamer? I did use that once but it didn't thicken. I may try it again and use pasta water. I wonder if cornstarch would alter the taste.

Other than various nondairy milks, there's aren't a ton of dairy substitutes to choose from around here.

One day I'll have a Vitamix, I hope! I have a recipe too for mac and cheese that calls for cashews but have never tried it because my blender is old and cheap.

I googled it up and I have already bought the non dairy version. It is nothing like soya cream and it won't thicken sauces. It does taste great in coffee.

I gather that you can't find soya cream where you live ? It really has the same texture as dairy cream and makes lovely thick sauces. You really can't subsititute it with cornflour as you'll just end up with a starchy sauce whereas you need fat to make a more delicate thick sauce using cream.

Can you put up the recipe that you mentionned in your op ? :)